+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We did talk about diet and vitamins as well as what shampoo to get, where to get it cheapest etc. He was big on not eating deli meats and trying to stay organic with your foods. He gave me a sheet with all this info on it.

I am going to take a trip to costco tonight to fill the perscription and buy all my vitamins and such. I hope I can stay on the vitamins as I can see myself not wanting to take trip to get the stuff when it runs out. There was quite a list, hopefully it is ok to just take them all at once in the morning. Here's a list of the vitamins he recommends.

L-Lysine 500mg daily
    Vitamin E 200 I.U. 1/day
    Saw Palmetto 160mg daily
    Multi-Vitamin 1/day
    MS 150mg 1/daily
    Glucosamine HCL 500mg 3/day
    Chondrotin Sulfate 400mg 3/day
    Ester-C 1000mg 2/day

Quote Originally Posted by theDawckta View Post
    We did talk about diet and vitamins as well as what shampoo to get, where to get it cheapest etc. He was big on not eating deli meats and trying to stay organic with your foods. He gave me a sheet with all this info on it.

I am going to take a trip to costco tonight to fill the perscription and buy all my vitamins and such. I hope I can stay on the vitamins as I can see myself not wanting to take trip to get the stuff when it runs out. There was quite a list, hopefully it is ok to just take them all at once in the morning. Here's a list of the vitamins he recommends.

L-Lysine 500mg daily
    Vitamin E 200 I.U. 1/day
    Saw Palmetto 160mg daily
    Multi-Vitamin 1/day
    MS 150mg 1/daily
    Glucosamine HCL 500mg 3/day
    Chondrotin Sulfate 400mg 3/day
    Ester-C 1000mg 2/day
    He gave me the same list. Don't necessarily jump on everything at once; remember, the efficacy of most of those vitamins is HIGHLY debated and HIGHLY circumspect at best as far as hair loss goes. And remember, it's really, really tough to tell if something's having an effect on hair, because there's a huge lag time and it's difficult, if not impossible, to observe reductions in shedding and so on.

Do some research about the vitamins before you buy. It's also not necessarily a good thing to just dump a ton of new supplements onto your body. And do some particular research around Saw Palmetto, which may have DHT-blocking functions. That means it has the potential to cause side effects. If you're also going to start Propecia, I wouldn't start them both simultaneously until you know how you react to Propecia.

Bottom line: the vitamins probably won't hurt. But never leap into a hair loss treatment, even if it's relatively benign. Research, research, research, and take it easy on your body. Plus, buying ALL of these vitamins gets pretty expensive, and it's unlikely that they're going to make much difference at. I gave the list to another, IAHRS-approved surgeon, and he sort of shrugged and said, "They won't hurt, but I highly doubt they'll do a thing."

Gotcha, good advice, thanks alto.

Could you answer a question about something he said specifically about minox? When I told him I put it on after getting out of the shower in the morning he said that would make it absorb into the scalp less, i think he was referring to the shower before hand. This is what got him to recommend once a day at night 2ml using liquid minox.

Is this true?

theDawckta

Great to hear.....!!

I would try the Fin and Minox for a year, I'll bet you see some impressive results...!!

Certainly wish I would have jumped on the bandwagon years ago but I didn't...I let it go to the point only a transplant gave me back a full head of hair.

If it doesn't give you positive results, the medication will definitely slow or stop the loss. If Win says he received good results from the clinic I have to believe him, he's not a salesman for the clinic. The price seems fair for the amount of grafts too, it would certainly make you look like a new man if the meds don't help.

Best of luck to you...!

Gotcha, good advice, thanks alto.

Could you answer a question about something he said specifically about minox? When I told him I put it on after getting out of the shower in the morning he said that would make it absorb into the scalp less, i think he was referring to the shower before hand. This is what got him to recommend once a day at night 2ml using liquid minox.

Is this true?
    Can you comment a little more on the deli meat thing? I only ask because I very seldom eat organic things; I prefer to buy cheaper when it comes to food. I eat sandwiches almost every single day, so if there is a sound reason behind that recommendation, I would be interested in hearing.

theDawckta

My doctor said to apply liquid or foam with towel dry hair and massage it into the scalp good, and he also said once a day was enough. I chose the foam, less messy, blends in like a hair tonic really....can basically style hair with it when it dries.

Quote Originally Posted by inspects View Post
    theDawckta

My doctor said to apply liquid or foam with towel dry hair and massage it into the scalp good, and he also said once a day was enough. I chose the foam, less messy, blends in like a hair tonic really....can basically style hair with it when it dries.
    This was after a shower right?

This was after a shower right?
    Yes, with hair basically dry from a towel, but still a little damp.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

theDawckta- you are getting some great advice here. By the way,,honestly,you hair still looks good at this point. Follow the advice given to you and you should be OK up to the time that the first round of good treatments are available-lucky you

@BigThinker

Here is a quote from the document he gave me about da meats.

Nitrites and Sulphites
    Nitrites are found in cured meats and should be avoided. Nitrites have been implicated in cancer of the esophagus, stomach, and pancreas. Dr. Goertz believes they also damage hair follicles. Avoidance of smoked foods and red wine is also encouraged. Nitrite free meats can be purchased at organic food stores and even Costco and other grocery chains are are starting to carry nitrite free meats such as hot dogs and sausage. Remember there is nothing fresh in the deli! Sulphite are found in many dried fruits and is a reductant. It has been associated with health problems and should be avoided as well.

Hope this helps!