Thinning crown but hairline is not receding.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lyte
    • Aug 2015

Hey, yeah, I don't fully believe in the masturbation hair loss link either, but it's just me clinging to the last ray of hope and avoiding the realitiy Anyway, I'll just give it a try, can't hurt. The only thing I will demonstrate is that my mind is indeed above my body and I am in full control of it haha
    I googled DPA and I'm wondering if it always starts at the crown area. My hair isn't diffuse at all. In fact its still thick at the front and back, but that doesn't mean I don't believe that I might have DPA. If that's true, Finasterid is the way to go, but I'm still sceptical about using it...

Comment

• TinTin
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Lyte
      Hey, yeah, I don't fully believe in the masturbation hair loss link either, but it's just me clinging to the last ray of hope and avoiding the realitiy Anyway, I'll just give it a try, can't hurt. The only thing I will demonstrate is that my mind is indeed above my body and I am in full control of it haha
      I googled DPA and I'm wondering if it always starts at the crown area. My hair isn't diffuse at all. In fact its still thick at the front and back, but that doesn't mean I don't believe that I might have DPA. If that's true, Finasterid is the way to go, but I'm still sceptical about using it...
      You could go to your doctor to get his evaluation of your hair loss. My loss started at the crown like yours so that's by far the most bald area at this point, that was noticeable about 5 or 6 years ago but the top was still thick so I was in-denial about the whole thing. But now for me it's the entire top area that is thinning, I just did't realise about the front as much until I put my hair in a centre-parting and was like ohhh crap I'm full on going bald here.

I am also sceptical about gong on finasteride, or should I say nervous rather, because of possible side effects. Again your doctor might be able to comment on taking fin. My doctor said that he had seem some very impressive results from people taking fin, but he said to me "when do you stop taking it?" haha, I was like 'I don't know'.

Comment

• Lyte
        • Aug 2015

I've been once to a doctor and it took her a whole 5 seconds to determine "yeah you're getting bald". Upon closer inspection she ripped about 10 hairstrings from my scalp and said something which I cant remember anymore, but it was something highly indicating that I was getting bald. She recommended me Regaine which I used for about 7 months, but I never had the shedding phase nor did it improve my crown area at all. It didn't get any worse though either, so thats when I stopped with Regaine.

On a side note: The visit to the doctor was 1.5 year ago and back then I took pictures of my crown and it hasnt changed much since then.

Do you have pictures of your crown when you first noticed the thinning and now? I'd like to see how much it has changed. You don't have to upload them here, ofc.. You can pm me if you like.
        If you want I can show mine as well.

Comment

• TinTin
          • Jul 2015

Yeah it sounds similar to my visit to the doc's, other than my doctor stopped me on the way out of his room and said I'll give you some blood tests, so I went and got them done and will find out the results of them this coming Friday when he calls me up.

Yeah Regaine probably does help some people for a period of time, but I've heard that if you are serious about stopping hair loss from MPB then fin is the only way forward. I've not tried either as yet.

I don't have any pics from years ago as like I said I was in full-on denial stage, I didn't even bother to check the hair loss out myself despite getting the odd comment from work colleges and girlfriend, I couldn't see it from my usual frontal view in the bathroom mirror so in my mind it wasn't actually happening.

These days I'm literally scared crap-less to take a photo of my crown, as looking at the photo makes me feel physically sick :/ I do check my head weekly now though and if I start fin then I will defo be taking some photos in consistent lighting and with the same camera each time so I can judge any progress, should I have any.

Just wish there weren't any risks to using fin and I would have got in it months ago, but reading all this crap on the internet just plays on my mind so I keep putting it off. Such a bummer, you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Comment

• Lyte
            • Aug 2015

I really feel you. It's always such a huge letdown to see a bright patch on your crown fully knowing that if you can see it will, too and the only thing you can do is pathetically styling your hair in a way so the bald spot is somewhat hidden or just wearing a hat.... well, there goes the self esteem.

Yeah, I've also read that fin is the only reliable medicament right now.. unfortunately. Sure regaine may work for some people, but the success stories and photos didn't impress me nearly as fin did.

Guess all we can do is wait for a gen theraphy haha Though I don't think it will happen soon. The pharmaceutical industry doesn't give a damn about us, guess it's much more profitable to treat the balding rather than curing it.

I really hope your blood test will bring bad results, not in a mean way, just so your hair thinning is not because of genetics, but other factors. Also ask your doc about your thyroid and Vitamin D levels.

Comment

• TinTin
              • Jul 2015

Haha I'm not sure how long I will be able to wait until it will become pointless to treat... even fin won't grow back a completely bald crown.

Yeah one of the blood tests was definitely for thyroid as I mentioned to him the fact that my mum has an underachieve thyroid, but I'm not sure what the other tests were for now.

I'll see what he tells me over the phone this Friday then I'll post back on here.

Comment

• TinTin
                • Jul 2015

Ok mate, I just got off the phone to my doctor regarding the blood tests, I'd had 2 tests, one for 'thyroid' and one for 'ferritin' (which is iron storage protein).

He said my thyroid is fine, but my ferritin levels are too high which can be related to various things including stress, virus, genetics and from consuming high amounts of alcohol, which is something I do, I drink most evenings, not to get drunk but just when making dinner as a creative thing, but I can drink quite a bit some nights. I obviously told him about my drinking and he said yeah it would be a good idea to cut down the drinking, which I will happily do.

In terms of the hair loss though, he said that having high ferritin levels will not be related to it. And the fact that my brother doesn't drink much compared to me and has the exact same pattern of hair loss rules that out too.

So yeah male hair loss for me, looks like it's try fin or accept my balding fate, can't say I'm at surprised.

Comment

• Lyte
                  • Aug 2015

I'm sorry for responding so late, but I had some issues...

It's good to hear that you don't have any health problems. When I had my blood sample taken I also had too high ferritin levels, but it wasn't too severe so I don't pay too much attention to it.

Regarding the hair loss... well, unfortunately it seems like it's indeed the work of your genes. Did you consider using the laser hair growth therapy? I can't say for myself whether it's working or not, but it sounds promising and there's little to no side/after-effects compared to fin. It's quite expensive, but in the long run it'd be cheaper (if it's working...) than fin.

Well, I honestly don't know what to say... it frankly just sucks seeing yourself aging, but I wish you best of luck. I for now will wait and see how my hairline is progressing since I'm too afraid of fin's side-effects and ''just'' 25 years old. Who knows, maybe I'm lucky and I can keep my hair as it is now, but I'm not expecting too much. If you're considering using fin or any other product keep me updated.

Comment

• Feyd
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Lyte
                    Greeting Feyd, my hair condition is essentially the same as yours. I want to compare my situation with yours so it'd be nice if you could answer the following questions:
                    Do you have Vitamin D deficiency?
                    Do you have scalp acne and/or dandruff?
                    Do you also notice almost no hairloss? E.g after sleeping/showering or if you pull your hair?
                    Do you sweat easily especially on the head?
                    Does your hair get greasy very quickly?
                    Did you or do you masturbate frequently? I know this question may sound stupid, but in the early days I masturbated like 3-4 times a day and I can't rule out that the hair thinning isn't related to it.

Best regards
                    Been a while. Still haven't had the courage to jump on fin but I have been trying just Minox these past few months. Results are about the same. No worse but not really any better. Existing hairs seems thicker but I have not seen any regrowth. I also never had a big shed that people often talk about.

I am using the foam Minox. Could it be my hair is too long and its not getting absorbed into the scalp all that well?

Do you have Vitamin D deficiency?
                    Do you have scalp acne and/or dandruff?

Answering these two together is they are related. I did in fact have a D deficiency. For years now I was having acne on my shoulder blades and upper back. Nothing I did made a difference even when I completely stopped eating refined sugars. A couple months ago, based on some advice, I started taking Magnesium, Zinc, and 800 IU of D3 along with a megadose of D3 once a week to get my levels up. Complete transformation. I no longer get acne except for the occasional small bump.

I used to have bad dandruff and an itchy scalp and use anti-dandruff shampoo every day. With this vitamin regimen, my scalp feels healthier and I am gradually reducing the # of days I shampoo.

It may not make a huge difference for thinning but is something to consider for scalp health anyways.

Do you also notice almost no hairloss? E.g after sleeping/showering or if you pull your hair?

Yeah, generally I've never noticed massive sheds. My hairloss has been diffuse and very gradual. It's hard to say when it started. It could have been in my mid 20s for all I know.

Do you sweat easily especially on the head?

I sweat and overheat very easily.

Does your hair get greasy very quickly?

If I go longer than a day, like camping, my hair becomes a greasy mess. Although with the vitamin regimen I mentioned above seems to have changed this but I haven't gone camping since I started it.

Did you or do you masturbate frequently? I know this question may sound stupid, but in the early days I masturbated like 3-4 times a day and I can't rule out that the hair thinning isn't related to it.

Don't think it has anything to do with it. For me it is much less than my early twenties.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151025_225619.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	440307Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151025_225718.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	440308Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151025_225820.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	440309

Comment

• Lyte
                      • Aug 2015

I have to say looking at your photos is like watching myself in the mirror.... especially the first pic I can relate. It looks particularly patchy when exposed to sunlight and viewing from a certain angle.
                      The problem for me is that the hair in the crown is thin compared to the others, still dense though. Also my hair in that area (I don't know how it is for you) is really, really soft - like baby hair and not bristled like e.g. in the back or front.

Comment

• Lyte
                        • Aug 2015

So it has been more than two years, are there any updates from your side Feyd? I am very curious what happened

Comment

Working...