+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hey Feyd, I'm in exactly the same situation as you are, no receding hairline but thinning which began at the crown and is beginning now to spread outwards over the vertex more as the years roll by.

Because of this I only really discovered it via people commenting on it whenever I was kneeling down or sat down and they were stood over me, I would get the odd comment and be like 'no I'm not going bald' as I never noticed until I did the double mirror thing and looked at my crown properly.

Been looking at Propecia for the last few months, read all the horror stories so literally crapping myself but at the same time wishing I would just pluck up the courage before it's too late to even bother thinking about saving my hair.

What have you done since the last post on here? You on fin yet?

Greeting Feyd, my hair condition is essentially the same as yours. I want to compare my situation with yours so it'd be nice if you could answer the following questions:
    Do you have Vitamin D deficiency?
    Do you have scalp acne and/or dandruff?
    Do you also notice almost no hairloss? E.g after sleeping/showering or if you pull your hair?
    Do you sweat easily especially on the head?
    Does your hair get greasy very quickly?
    Did you or do you masturbate frequently? I know this question may sound stupid, but in the early days I masturbated like 3-4 times a day and I can't rule out that the hair thinning isn't related to it.

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
    Greeting Feyd, my hair condition is essentially the same as yours. I want to compare my situation with yours so it'd be nice if you could answer the following questions:
    Do you have Vitamin D deficiency?
    Do you have scalp acne and/or dandruff?
    Do you also notice almost no hairloss? E.g after sleeping/showering or if you pull your hair?
    Do you sweat easily especially on the head?
    Does your hair get greasy very quickly?
    Did you or do you masturbate frequently? I know this question may sound stupid, but in the early days I masturbated like 3-4 times a day and I can't rule out that the hair thinning isn't related to it.

Best regards
    Hey Lyte, I'm not Feyd but I posted on here due to similar circumstances.

1. I don't know about Vitamin D deficiency, how do you test for that?
    2. Dandruff? Yes for most of my adult life - If I stop using Head&Shoulders I'm buggered basically.
    3. Noticing Hairloss - Same as you, I notice almost no hair loss when I wake up, shower (granted I don't look when showering) or when putting in hair wax.
    4. I sweat hugely on the head and also armpit sweat is a huge issue since puberty, not the smell but the fact my pits would be soaking wet.
    5. As per number 4 I sweat and get greasy very quickly on my head/hair - I can skip one day of shampooing, but the day in which I skip, my hair is very greasy indeed.
    6. Yes I masturbate once or twice a day. Years prior when I was also very gradually diffuse thinning I would masturbate 2 or 3 times a day. I masturbate slightly less now but now I'm 34 and not 26 so naturally 'time' probably affects that frequency.

My brother who is 1.5 years older than I am, he is suffering exactly the same hair loss pattern and progression as I do, (not sure how much he 'yanks his plank' and I'm not going to ask) but I would think that it's some nature of male pattern baldness.

Again I'm not Feyd but most likely we are in a similar boat.

Hey TinTin, it's always better to know someone who's sharing the same fate as oneself rather than suffering on your own

1. To test for Vitamin D deficiency a blood sample must be taken. The downside to it is that you most likely have to pay for it. Vitamin D is a versatile Vitamin and a deficiency will bring about several symptoms including hair thinning and abnormal sweating (abnormal as in sweating very quickly and amount of sweat). Although the human can produce it by being exposed to the sun, we don't absorb enough sun rays especially in the modern times, where we tend to work till afternoon and don't have the time for a nice walk outside.
    That's just a brief summary to what Vitamin D is, I guess google will bring you more information.
    I've read that Vitamin D deficiency can result in hair thinning, but I do not know, if it only involves the crown area. From what I understand/interpret the thinning should be diffuse.
    2. Dandruff can prevent the new hair from growing, but that's just one in a million and a weak excuse for hair loss. I do not think that dandruff heavily affects ones hair loss. I had excessive scalp acne (and still have to a certain degree) and the scratching may have lead to scars so hair growth wouldn't be possible.
    3. It seems like we have an unusual male pattern baldness (like Zidane). Is your front hairline also not affected?
    4. I'm the same as you. I also sweat really, really easily. I just have to run for like 3 minutes and I'm already covered in sweat.
    5. Same. My problem is that I have to shower everyday, if I go outside, because my bedhair shows my scalp. But showering many times will activate the sebum production which results in greasy hair. Brushing doesn't do any good (it looks so flat then) although I have straight hair. It's like a vicious cycle...
    6. I do not know if hair loss / thinning is linked to masturbation. There are some articles and forums that are discussing the possible connection. Like excessive masturbation spikes your Testosterone production which leads to more Dihydrotestosterone which leads to hair loss. Google it, if you're curious. Fact is I masturbated a lot and as mentioned earlier I can't rule it out for sure. I have to say I'm already on the ''no masturbation'' challenge for one week and will post here. If I can save my hair that way, I'll just have to adapt to it.

Does your brother also show the symptoms?

Hey TinTin, it's always better to know someone who's sharing the same fate as oneself rather than suffering on your own

1. To test for Vitamin D deficiency a blood sample must be taken. The downside to it is that you most likely have to pay for it. Vitamin D is a versatile Vitamin and a deficiency will bring about several symptoms including hair thinning and abnormal sweating (abnormal as in sweating very quickly and amount of sweat). Although the human can produce it by being exposed to the sun, we don't absorb enough sun rays especially in the modern times, where we tend to work till afternoon and don't have the time for a nice walk outside.
    That's just a brief summary to what Vitamin D is, I guess google will bring you more information.
    I've read that Vitamin D deficiency can result in hair thinning, but I do not know, if it only involves the crown area. From what I understand/interpret the thinning should be diffuse.
    2. Dandruff can prevent the new hair from growing, but that's just one in a million and a weak excuse for hair loss. I do not think that dandruff heavily affects ones hair loss. I had excessive scalp acne (and still have to a certain degree) and the scratching may have lead to scars so hair growth wouldn't be possible.
    3. It seems like we have an unusual male pattern baldness (like Zidane). Is your front hairline also not affected?
    4. I'm the same as you. I also sweat really, really easily. I just have to run for like 3 minutes and I'm already covered in sweat.
    5. Same. My problem is that I have to shower everyday, if I go outside, because my bedhair shows my scalp. But showering many times will activate the sebum production which results in greasy hair. Brushing doesn't do any good (it looks so flat then) although I have straight hair. It's like a vicious cycle...
    6. I do not know if hair loss / thinning is linked to masturbation. There are some articles and forums that are discussing the possible connection. Like excessive masturbation spikes your Testosterone production which leads to more Dihydrotestosterone which leads to hair loss. Google it, if you're curious. Fact is I masturbated a lot and as mentioned earlier I can't rule it out for sure. I have to say I'm already on the ''no masturbation'' challenge for one week and will post here. If I can save my hair that way, I'll just have to adapt to it.

Does your brother also show the symptoms?
    1. I've just had a blood test, not sure if it included Vitamin D but I'll ask when I get the results on Friday, but I don't personally think that a Vitamin D deficiency would specifically cause crown/mid scalp thinning only, usually hairless outside of MPB happens anywhere and sometimes everywhere on the scalp.

3. Front hairline doesn't seem to be affected (touch wood).

4. I sweat a lot with exercises but no more than anyone else who exercises really, however my armpit sweat issue (which I've had way before the hair loss started) is related to anxiety/nerves as opposed to temperature i.e. I can be wearing a t-shirt it in zero Celsius temperature and have soaking wet armpits.

5. Washing hair frequently is never good for the hair. My hair felt amazing when I went an entire 2 weeks without washing it back in 2007, once I had washed it, it didn't get greasy for another 2 weeks. That was 8 years ago when my hair was thicker still and as you said, our bed-hair now shows our baldness so not washing our hair frequently is no longer a luxury we can enjoy.

6. I really do not see that there can be a link between masturbation and hair loss, nothing legitimate anyway. I mean if that were the case then every 18 year old would be shiny bald in a matter of months haha

My brother has the exact same hair loss pattern as myself, he's never had the excessive armpit sweating issue like myself though.

Annoyingly, both myself and my brother seem to be the the first ones in our family that suffer from baldness this early on in life (late 20's early 30's). My grandad on my mums side wasn't balding till about age 65/70 and my dad right now has a thicker crown than me at age 60. I think my grandad on my dad's side however might be the culprit, as he was definitely bald from what I remember as being a little kid, although I don't know how early he started balding as I wasn't on planet earth yet to see that occurring.

I think that we are quite simply victims of male pattern baldness as with others, however unlike the typical norwood scale I believe we suffer from DPA which stands for 'Diffuse Patterned Alopecia' - give it a google

It's weird for people like ourselves, because we only really notice that we are beginning to go bald when we sit down or kneel down and someone says hey 'are you going bald?' and initially our response is 'no! what are you talking about', whereas the typical Norwood receding hairline types see it immediately happening in the mirror each day. And as we don't see it each day we (well at least myself) convinced myself that it was not actually happening, but now my crown is very thin so there's 'no two ways about it'.

I miss the care-free days of not waking up and the fist thing I do is check whether or not I'm showing a bald spot on my vertex due to how my hair has fallen. Getting older is a bummer, no doubt about it.

Hey, yeah, I don't fully believe in the masturbation hair loss link either, but it's just me clinging to the last ray of hope and avoiding the realitiy Anyway, I'll just give it a try, can't hurt. The only thing I will demonstrate is that my mind is indeed above my body and I am in full control of it haha
    I googled DPA and I'm wondering if it always starts at the crown area. My hair isn't diffuse at all. In fact its still thick at the front and back, but that doesn't mean I don't believe that I might have DPA. If that's true, Finasterid is the way to go, but I'm still sceptical about using it...

Hey, yeah, I don't fully believe in the masturbation hair loss link either, but it's just me clinging to the last ray of hope and avoiding the realitiy Anyway, I'll just give it a try, can't hurt. The only thing I will demonstrate is that my mind is indeed above my body and I am in full control of it haha
    I googled DPA and I'm wondering if it always starts at the crown area. My hair isn't diffuse at all. In fact its still thick at the front and back, but that doesn't mean I don't believe that I might have DPA. If that's true, Finasterid is the way to go, but I'm still sceptical about using it...
    You could go to your doctor to get his evaluation of your hair loss. My loss started at the crown like yours so that's by far the most bald area at this point, that was noticeable about 5 or 6 years ago but the top was still thick so I was in-denial about the whole thing. But now for me it's the entire top area that is thinning, I just did't realise about the front as much until I put my hair in a centre-parting and was like ohhh crap I'm full on going bald here.

I am also sceptical about gong on finasteride, or should I say nervous rather, because of possible side effects. Again your doctor might be able to comment on taking fin. My doctor said that he had seem some very impressive results from people taking fin, but he said to me "when do you stop taking it?" haha, I was like 'I don't know'.

I've been once to a doctor and it took her a whole 5 seconds to determine "yeah you're getting bald". Upon closer inspection she ripped about 10 hairstrings from my scalp and said something which I cant remember anymore, but it was something highly indicating that I was getting bald. She recommended me Regaine which I used for about 7 months, but I never had the shedding phase nor did it improve my crown area at all. It didn't get any worse though either, so thats when I stopped with Regaine.

On a side note: The visit to the doctor was 1.5 year ago and back then I took pictures of my crown and it hasnt changed much since then.

Do you have pictures of your crown when you first noticed the thinning and now? I'd like to see how much it has changed. You don't have to upload them here, ofc.. You can pm me if you like.
    If you want I can show mine as well.

Yeah it sounds similar to my visit to the doc's, other than my doctor stopped me on the way out of his room and said I'll give you some blood tests, so I went and got them done and will find out the results of them this coming Friday when he calls me up.

Yeah Regaine probably does help some people for a period of time, but I've heard that if you are serious about stopping hair loss from MPB then fin is the only way forward. I've not tried either as yet.

I don't have any pics from years ago as like I said I was in full-on denial stage, I didn't even bother to check the hair loss out myself despite getting the odd comment from work colleges and girlfriend, I couldn't see it from my usual frontal view in the bathroom mirror so in my mind it wasn't actually happening.

These days I'm literally scared crap-less to take a photo of my crown, as looking at the photo makes me feel physically sick :/ I do check my head weekly now though and if I start fin then I will defo be taking some photos in consistent lighting and with the same camera each time so I can judge any progress, should I have any.

Just wish there weren't any risks to using fin and I would have got in it months ago, but reading all this crap on the internet just plays on my mind so I keep putting it off. Such a bummer, you're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

I really feel you. It's always such a huge letdown to see a bright patch on your crown fully knowing that if you can see it will, too and the only thing you can do is pathetically styling your hair in a way so the bald spot is somewhat hidden or just wearing a hat.... well, there goes the self esteem.

Yeah, I've also read that fin is the only reliable medicament right now.. unfortunately. Sure regaine may work for some people, but the success stories and photos didn't impress me nearly as fin did.

Guess all we can do is wait for a gen theraphy haha Though I don't think it will happen soon. The pharmaceutical industry doesn't give a damn about us, guess it's much more profitable to treat the balding rather than curing it.

I really hope your blood test will bring bad results, not in a mean way, just so your hair thinning is not because of genetics, but other factors. Also ask your doc about your thyroid and Vitamin D levels.