+ Reply to Thread

Default Experiences switching from fin to dut?

I have been on finasteride 2+ years and am now very close to pulling the trigger on dutasteride. I am interested to know if anyone else has made the same medication switch, and if they would suggest looking out for anything in particular?
    I especially am interested in the shedding. Should I expect my hair to look like crap for a year or more before things sort themselves out? Did anyone notice accelerated hairline recession or anything like that?
    It would also help to know your dutasteride source (online sources vs. pharmacy Avodart - I plan to use brand name) and your dosage, and whether you had any kind of tapering period if you used more than .5 mg daily. Also whether you use other treatments like keto shampoo or minoxidil, and if you started them around the same time as dut

Thank you to anyone who can share their experience and advice.

This is my 4th month on Dut, I don't know if I am shedding, I was already shedding with fin for a couple of months and the amount seems the same so maybe this is my natural process.
    I was already itching with fin, it did not change.
    Actually I think nothing has changed, I don't know it's early to judge but I was not doing good with fin so I would have lost ground with fin anyways so I don't mind now.
    I can't say my hair looks "lesser" than 4 months ago. It also does not look fuller. I am noticing many little-weak hairs in the hairline region, I don't know if they are new hairs from dut or miniaturizing hairs that will soon be gone. My hair line looks the same compared to 4 months ago so maybe they are new hairs and maybe will get stronger as they cycle. The thing is seeing weak hairs is generally not a good sign.
    All in all, I won't change a thing for at least 2 more months. I want to complete a whole 6 months.
    Also, I am starting to believe that fin and dut are not very different. I don't think one is more effective than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by konfusion View Post
    This is my 4th month on Dut, I don't know if I am shedding, I was already shedding with fin for a couple of months and the amount seems the same so maybe this is my natural process.
    I was already itching with fin, it did not change.
    Actually I think nothing has changed, I don't know it's early to judge but I was not doing good with fin so I would have lost ground with fin anyways so I don't mind now.
    I can't say my hair looks "lesser" than 4 months ago. It also does not look fuller. I am noticing many little-weak hairs in the hairline region, I don't know if they are new hairs from dut or miniaturizing hairs that will soon be gone. My hair line looks the same compared to 4 months ago so maybe they are new hairs and maybe will get stronger as they cycle. The thing is seeing weak hairs is generally not a good sign.
    All in all, I won't change a thing for at least 2 more months. I want to complete a whole 6 months.
    Also, I am starting to believe that fin and dut are not very different. I don't think one is more effective than the other.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Can I ask what your source was for fin and what your source is for dut? (Licensed pharmacy vs. online seller)
    Also how long were you on fin before switching?
    Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

My experience after being on Fin for around 5 years and trying to switch to Avodart (name brand). I started taking 2 0.5mg pills a week, one on Monday and one on Thursday, and the other days I took Propecia (also, name brand). I felt this would be a good way to ease onto the Avodart. Well after 5 weeks and only 10 pills, I had VERY puffy nipples. Before I had a nice toned chest. I also started gaining lots of weight in my waist. I can contribute all of this to the Avodart, as nothing else in my life changed. I stopped taking Avodart after 5 weeks.

I saw an endocrinologist about it and he did blood work, I expected my estrogen levels to be way out of whack, but apparently they were normal...He prescribed me Clomid to block the estrogen receptors and hopefully reduce the fat tissue in the breast and stomach. After one month of this I see no difference from before...not good.

Now, I don't see any other people with these problems really, but I am scared I have messed my body up pretty bad (However, the Avodart has a long half life and can stay in your system for up to 6 months, so I'm hoping once it is completely out of my system things will go more back to normal). It is also important to note that I never had any side effects from Propecia at all.

I am now taking 1.5mg of Fin a day instead of the Avodart..I hope your experience is better if you try it. Seems to have helped a lot of people, even when just supplementing it with Propecia like I did.

Wow, that sounds rough. I hope your side effects clear up soon. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    Can I ask what your source was for fin and what your source is for dut? (Licensed pharmacy vs. online seller)
    Also how long were you on fin before switching?
    Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again for sharing your experience.
    my source for fin was proscar from licensed pharmacy, before Dut I was app. 5 years on fin
    my source for Dut is Avodart from licensed pharmacy, I have no side effects yet