+ Reply to Thread

Default My Own Propecia Experience and some questions

Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum for a while but just recently joined. I noticed some hair changes around 21, and started Saw Palmetto ever since then up to a few months ago. I later started 15% minoxidil and noticed a huge improvement (more than a year ago) . Since March I've been using kirklands 5% minoxidil and S5 cream around my hairline.

I'll make this short:

Started Propecia : 2.5 months ago
    Initial Changes :
    horny all the time and needed to do it atleast 3 x a day

Changes in the last 2 weeks :
    - no longer crazy horny (not feeling as easily aroused either anymore)
    - noticed lots of shedding to the point where I can now see parts of my scalp that I couldnt see before

Problems :
    - very itchy scalp + dandruff
    - semen changes : watery semen (which I know was expected), but now very thick jelly like semen
    - some depression, but not sure if it is the Propecia

So I'm not sure if my scalp is itchy because of the Propecia or the Minoxidil. Initially when i started the 5%, my head would get really inflamed and I noticed lots of dandruff. Because of this I started Regenpure every 3 days and sometimes Head & Shoulders. Over time it got a bit better, but was still sometimes itchy. It's now again really bad and I can't go without scratching my head every few minutes. Sometimes I wake up just to scratch my head.. it's that bad.

So my questions are:
    Should I stop using the liquid minoxidil and try the foam kind?

Is the thick jelly like semen expected?

How much worse does the shedding get? Because I can see much more of my scalp now than I could ever before.

Thank you everyone.

The itchy scalp and dandruff I would put down to Minoxil, I had a similar side effect, Nizoral shampoo is great against dandruff and is supposed to be good for hairloss too, it cleared up my dandruff.

I've only been on Finasteride 2 weeks so sorry can't comment on your other concerns.

Itchy scalp is probably due to the shitty ingredients in minoxidil. You could try nizoral, it may not help if you are sensitive to harsh chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by torontoguy88 View Post
    Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum for a while but just recently joined. I noticed some hair changes around 21, and started Saw Palmetto ever since then up to a few months ago. I later started 15% minoxidil and noticed a huge improvement (more than a year ago) . Since March I've been using kirklands 5% minoxidil and S5 cream around my hairline.

I'll make this short:

Started Propecia : 2.5 months ago
    Initial Changes :
    horny all the time and needed to do it atleast 3 x a day

Changes in the last 2 weeks :
    - no longer crazy horny (not feeling as easily aroused either anymore)
    - noticed lots of shedding to the point where I can now see parts of my scalp that I couldnt see before

Problems :
    - very itchy scalp + dandruff
    - semen changes : watery semen (which I know was expected), but now very thick jelly like semen
    - some depression, but not sure if it is the Propecia

So I'm not sure if my scalp is itchy because of the Propecia or the Minoxidil. Initially when i started the 5%, my head would get really inflamed and I noticed lots of dandruff. Because of this I started Regenpure every 3 days and sometimes Head & Shoulders. Over time it got a bit better, but was still sometimes itchy. It's now again really bad and I can't go without scratching my head every few minutes. Sometimes I wake up just to scratch my head.. it's that bad.

So my questions are:
    Should I stop using the liquid minoxidil and try the foam kind?

Is the thick jelly like semen expected?

How much worse does the shedding get? Because I can see much more of my scalp now than I could ever before.

Thank you everyone.
    Everything sounds about right. The discharge you mentioned is now normal in that state as that is supposed be the fluid that in addition helps sperm along in reproduction which is created in the prostate mixing with the sperm from the testes. The shedding will have phases.. some days good, others bad and some worse.. this is supposed to indicate the medication is working pushing out the miniaturized hairs to make way for the healthy hair to grow out of the root again that will be thicker and larger the previous. I have had slight sheds but even looking at the hair that is coming out it is thin and not matured and the white bulb of the root is missing.. this means that hair broke off or was pushed out to make way for the better version to come. I use the foam as a preference .. the liquid is runny and with foam you control the dispersal pattern far more effectively and ultimately foam is cheaper than the liquid counterpart.

Thanks for the replies.

So an update :
    I stopped using minoxidil daily, and use it once a night about 3 times a week. I'm not sure if this is such a great idea, but any recommendations would be great. It's because I cant stand the itch BUT since I had bought a 6 month supply, and am short on money, I want to use all of the minoxidil instead of moving onto foam. I guess I should get a bottle of Nizoral in that case.

I have a bottle of emu oil so I apply that to my hair to help with the itch plus the drying effect minoxidil is having on my hair. It helps my hair look a bit fuller too.

Sex Drive : It is really up and down. Was completely down a few weeks ago, but now somedays it really gets up there and then other days I just don't feel anything at all. It stresses me at times, because I am kind of avoiding sex completely, to avoid the embarrassment with someone I like. I am trying Horny Goat Weed for this.

Body Changes: Slight gynecomastia . Since I used to be a chubby teen, I kind of had this for many years of my life until I lost weight. I did gain about 10 pounds over the last 4 months so it could be due to that or could be Propecia itself. Maybe both. I dont workout anymore because school is keeping me busy.

Lastly, not noticing much shedding anymore, but could be because I'm not using minoxidil as much, and thus not scratching my head much anymore either. My hair still has thin areas that weren't there before; most noticiable in the morning after waking up and at the end of the day. After showering its not noticable at all.