+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking to reduce the notice ability of scar in NH

I am looking into options to reduce the appearance of the two scars from a previous hair transplant operation I had about 20 years ago. The doctor should never had tried to do it given the amount of hair loss I had then, but it was also my fault for not going in with full knowledge.

I live in New Hampshire now and I am starting from scratch about how to make the scars less noticeable.

I have decided to shave my head as I was sick of the way I looked before. I am pretty sure no matter what happens I won't go back, but I would also like the back of my head to look better.

If it helps I recently lost a good deal of weight so maybe there is a chance I might be a real candidate for scar reduction. I don't see that as my only thing to do. Regardless of if I have the scar reduction done I think I would want a FUE procedure as well.

I was also thinking of getting cosmetic tattooing to create the illusion of hairs being in the scar area, but I do not know if that is even possible.

To sum up I am looking for advice from you to find Doctors or others that are reputable to see in the NH area that would give me honest opinions of whether their procedure would actually do what I am looking for.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Mark

You will more than likely need to travel outside of NH.

You should also post large up close photos into your thread, it would help in giving opinions.

Traditional scar reduction surgery can be risky and in some cases can leave a person with the same size or even more of a stretched scar. I think your options really depend on your particular situation. It would be a good idea to post clear pictures so people can get a better idea of what your dealing with.. FUE does seem to be the option of choice by many in your situation and temporary SMP might also help.

These are the best I can get on short notice. Keep in mind that this is with 3 days growth since I last shaved my head. After seeing the pictures I think the scars may be thin enough that scar reduction would only hurt and not help.

I would be capable of limited travel, but cost is a real limiting factor. I no longer have the kind of funds I used to have.

If these pictures are not good enough I will try and figure out a way to get better ones. I don't have anyone to help me so that limits my options.

Options other than those I listed are welcome.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-25_08-51-41_954.jpg

Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	17780   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-25_08-52-56_351.jpg

Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	17781  

Those scars are very good so you can forget about a revision.

Look up some of StevieR postings here. I would suggest trying a dermaroller first and maybe look into juvaderm, laser or something similar.

Travel to where you need to go.

After seeing the pictures I have to agree that a revision could only make it worse.

I will look into the other options you listed.

If I do get the bumps out of the scar how would I get the area to look more uniform? How would I loose the lines caused be the lack of hair?

As far as the dermaroller would you suggest a home treatment or would I be much better off with a professional in office one?

It looks like I am getting some great information. I am soaking in everything.

One caution though most of these acronyms are new to me and I am clueless as to what they are. I am learning though.

Thanks,
    Mark

I would start with the dermaroller doing it yourself. Very little expense and see how it goes. Check out some youtube videos on the device and you can even purchase one on Ebay. Then come back in 6 months.

I tried to search for posts made by StevieR and it says invalid user.

I am really interested to see what this person has to say. Could it be that it was misspelled?

Also it seems the dermarollers come in different lengths. Is there a suggested length?

Thanks,
    Mark

I don't think juvederm would help in anyway, it would only add bulk to your scars. Dermarolling can have some beneficial results, but in order to really tackle the slight raised appearance, I think you would have to be professionally treated with large needle rollers. In your case I don't think trying a small area of temporary micro pigmentation would be a bad idea. Your scars are minimal and this can be a fast, relatively inexpensive fix.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9154

Do you know anyone with a good reputation in the New England Area?
    Spain is a bit far for me to travel.
    Even if I had to go to New York, although I am sure anyone there would cost a fortune compared to people in New England.

How can I determine if I should have work done in a particular place?
    A quick net search I found these people in NH http://www.permanentcosmeticsbyjamilla.com/

It's sounding like I might be able to get something that might work and not break the bank.

I just honestly don't know where to start and what Doctor's or treatments to trust. I am coming from no knowledge and don't want to be burned again.

Is there a list of reputable people in each of the disciplines around?

Thanks a lot,
    Mark