+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 34 Years old...HT #2 w/ Dr. Konior...3250 grafts

I haven't visited this site for a while now but I thought I'd contribute my HT #2 tale for everyone's benefit.

My first HT was when I was 21 with MHR and consisted of hairline work...roughly 800-1200 grafts, I think (I really don't recall). I failed to do my research and in hindsight, I regret going to MHR (Ziering's outfit) and moreover, getting anything done at such a young age. To be honest, if I wouldn't have gotten anything done back then, I might have just shaved my head and accepted my fateful genetic circumstances. Alas, that opportunity had passed long ago with the lifetime scar that I now own.

About 13 years later (present day...I'm 34 now) my hairline had continued to recede and thin and I had miniaturization throughout the mid scalp regions and my crown had taken a real beating. For the record, I toyed with Rogaine for about a decade- and it worked very well for about half that time- but eventually I did away with it and have simply stuck with finasteride about 4 days a week.

Continually losing more hair, I contemplated another surgery for the past few years. I did my homework and elected Dr. Konior to perform HT #2. We planned for a shave/3000 graft procedure but we ended up with 3250 in total. The game plan was to strengthen the hairline and reinforce the mid scalp and crown areas. Although 3250 grafts is a lot, when spreading throughout the entire scalp, it's probably not as dramatic as one would think. I was told that this amount of grafts would yield roughtly a 10-15% increase in overal density (as we know, a 50% density is all one needs for the appearance of a full head of hair). I'm hoping that with my current natural hair still in place and hopefully I can hold onto it for a while, this 10-15% boost will give me a noticeable improvement at the end of the day.

A couple things to mention...

1) Dr. Konior cut out most of the old scar and now there is only one more refined scar

2) suprisingly and a little alarmingly, it was mentioned that I had scar tissue in my crown area that made implanting grafts in that region a little challenging. I didn't think grafts were implanted there during my first HT so I have no idea how I'd have scarring back there. At any rate, I hope the new grafts grow successfully in this supposedly scarred region

As of today, I'm 3 days post op and aside from some donor area pain here and there, all is well...minimal swelling and little scabbing or crusting.

Although we won't know my outcome until well into 2013 I can attest that Dr. Konior, his assistant/coordinator Tom, and his entire staff of nurses were very professional, accommodating and tended to my every need before, during and after the surgery. In the months, weeks and days following up to the procedure, Dr. Konior and Tom never failed to respond to my many, many questions quickly and in full. In short, my confidence in their office and staff was very high, which I feel is paramount when getting involved with something like this.

I am really excited to see how this turns out. The hope is that my result is more than satisfactory and that I won't have a need for another procedure until I'm closing in on 40 years old. Of course, I guess all of this is dependent on donor hair availability, how much more I continue to lose and how successful this latest graft yield is.

ATTACHED ARE SOME PICS (pre-op and 3-day post).

I'd love to hear your thoughts, opinions, etc.!

Thank you for reading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0474.jpg

Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	17772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0476.jpg

Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	17773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0477.jpg

Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	17774   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-op 11-20-12.jpg

Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	17775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0544.jpg

Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	17776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0546.jpg

Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	17777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0548.jpg

Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	17778   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0555.jpg

Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	17779  

sndmn,

Congratulations on your surgery.

I have always been impressd with Dr Konior's work, and I think his work matches the very best.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

I agree, great work-
    How did you deal with the shaved head 'bad haircut' afterwards ? Did you shave the rest of it or cover up?

I contemplated making up an excuse to work from home for an additional week but the shaved option was chosen a little last minute for me. In any case, my sutures come out tomorrow so the plan is to have the doctor's staff shave the rest of my head down as much as possible. I just don't want to get close or aggravate the grafts. If they can't get too close because of the fresh donor area and the grafts then screw it, I'll stick with the "horeshoe" look for a while. I'm in the entertainment business anyway so I can simply pawn this off as a convenience for my weekend activities.

I should have just shaved my entire head on the day of surgery- it would have made for an easier cleaning in the donor area and I simply could have worn a bandage (when at work) on my scar until my hair grew in.

I know a lot of people worry about this portion of the surgery. I look at it this way- it's very expensive and a lot patience is required. But if you choose the right surgeon and you get past that uncomfortable/inconvenient 2-3 most post-op period, the rest is gravy and of course well worth the trouble.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Looks good. I am sure you will have a nice improvement. I have seen many impressive cases from Dr. Konior over the years.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thank you for the feedback.

Hi Sndmn,

I know this is an old thread, but I recently underwent a 3000 graft procedure with Dr. Konior and I believe we have a similar hair loss pattern so I was wondering how things looked today. Are you happy with the outcome?

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
    Hi Sndmn,

I know this is an old thread, but I recently underwent a 3000 graft procedure with Dr. Konior and I believe we have a similar hair loss pattern so I was wondering how things looked today. Are you happy with the outcome?
    I agree that it would be fascinating to see these results nearly 5 years later. Commenting so I can follow the thread just in case he posts an update...

Most people just drop off the face of the planet. For a large majority of people on the forum it's simply a support net work for them during their time of "crisis". Once it's over, they're gone faster than a fart in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by JustShaveIt View Post
    Most people just drop off the face of the planet. For a large majority of people on the forum it's simply a support net work for them during their time of "crisis". Once it's over, they're gone faster than a fart in the wind.
    Very true. I was hoping to get lucky and see some 5 years post surgery photos, but I fear that fart has dissipated already.