+ Reply to Thread

Default Sides 6 months in, what to do? help

Hey guys, long story short. About 6-8 months ago I noticed a visible crown area on my scalp after a haircut. Like many men, I panicked. That is when I decided to instantly research my options heavily on the net. After some time online, I decided I'd ask my doc for a prescription for Propecia. Early on I noticed some minor side effects such as an odd sensation in my lower testicular area, but it didn't effect anything really nor did it hurt. But now, 6 months later, I am noticing some other sides. I am noticing a lower libido, less sensitivity and watery semen.

Now..I have to renew my Propecia prescription in 4 days and I don't know what to do anymore. I am hesitant with staying on it longer with the idea of what more can go wrong. And at the same time, scared to get off because I know the hair thinning will worsen without the drug. So you can see my dilemma here...

Can somebody enlighten me with some ideas? Should I perhaps take it every other day and see how it goes? Is that even recommended since it's only 1mg? Should I get off of it or give it some more time? I understood while getting on Propecia that sides were possible, and while relatively low %'s, it seems like I am one of those who gets them.

Awaiting some feedback, anything would be appreciated!!

I would take a deep breath and stay calm as some of the side effects are temporary exactly that temporary as opposed to the scaremongers that would tell you it is permanent and oh s**t it 's going to shut off your d**k!!! Watery semen has been known to even out back to its thick consistency and the ball ache goes away for some in a short span of time within weeks after they have detected it. Ultimately though it isn't what I say here it is your comfort level.. as to whether you stay on this medicine or not. It is your decision to make here not mine and not anyone else's .Any hair you have gained or hope to gain with Propecia will be lost as soon as the medication cycles out of your system and is no longer rountinely introduced to combat the DHT. That is the truth of it on the other side however. Propecia can be cut down in smaller quarters down to .25 mg with a pill cutter and then you might try that to reduce the dosage to see if your side effects even out and go away.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I understand that in most cases the sides are temporary, but throughout this 6 month duration they haven't all dissipated, and some came back. You'd figure the body would adjust by now. Either that or it's telling me it wants no part of this drug.
    I also understand it is only my decision as to what I do. But it'd be nice to hear from people who perhaps experienced sides for this long and what they decided to do.
    For now, I feel like maybe going 1-2 more months on it, before I drop it. As I want to hit that 8 month mark at least to see what it has achieved or not achieved, and if it has even stopped thinning in its tracks. (Growing hair out, so hard to tell)

Regardless, thanks again, and maybe some more will give their thoughts/experiences.

You haven't noticed any change in hair within the first 6 months? Most people do by now...

I'm sure the before/after is improved, just not sure by what margin.
    As I said, I have been growing my hair out so it is hard to tell 100% if its re thickened or grown back...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    That's bullshit. Most anecdotes on here are people involving several sheds over a twelve month period.

It's actually rare that someone simply gets on it and is "cured" after a couple of months.
    I really hate to have to agree with Highlander, but he is correct. It can actually take well over a year for some people to see the positive benefits of Propecia. I have one friend who did not think he was doing well but stuck with it and at the 18 month mark told me that he was noticing a big improvement and is now really happy that he stuck with it.

Agreed with Highlander re: Propecia. Everyone's hormonal profile is profoundly different. In some people, Propecia halts the loss within a couple months. In others, it takes a year. Some patients have no impact. Push through to the recommended evaluation point (12-18 months) and make your assessment then, unless the side effects become unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    I really hate to have to agree with Highlander, but he is correct. It can actually take well over a year for some people to see the positive benefits of Propecia. I have one friend who did not think he was doing well but stuck with it and at the 18 month mark told me that he was noticing a big improvement and is now really happy that he stuck with it.

put it this way, a M2F transgendered person does NOT grow breasts in a week...

finerstride works in a similar way, changing the blood hormonal profile so that hairs can exist in a "growth friendly" enviroment.

count yourself lucky you are experiencing sides, if you did not, it wouldnt be doing anything for your mpb.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    That's bullshit. Most anecdotes on here are people involving several sheds over a twelve month period.

It's actually rare that someone simply gets on it and is "cured" after a couple of months.
    bro you NW1 yet?

Try waiting another month to see if the sides resolve themselves or begin improving. If not, lower your dosage by a half or so and continue another month or so. If you find that your sides are still intolerably present at any dosage, you'll have to quit propecia. If you do decide to quit do it slowly and ween yourself off the drug. I had the exact same problem 6 months in that you are having and I tried slowly lowering the dosage which helped but the sides never fully disappeared so I quit. However I quit cold turkey and developed some really bad scalp dandruff and scaling from the sudden hormonal change so whatever you decide to change the key is to do it as slowly and gradually as you are willing to.