+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 16 and Suicidal from Balding

Im 16 years old and my hair is beginning to thin. Everyday I feel like my hair gets lighter and lighter. I've grown my hair out to try and hide the balding but it gets stressful to the point where I cant even sleep anymore. A lot of my friends havent noticed yet, they all keep telling me to cut my hair because I've been growing it out for months. I have a small bald spot on the crown of my head but I can cover it pretty well, the hair on the top of my head is also much weaker and lighter than it use to be, and the rest of my hair is much less dense also. Another thing I noticed is that I cant go a day without showering or else my hair gets extremely oily. I have also been dealing with itchiness in random spots of my scalp. I went to see a dermatologist for help but all she did was run her hands through my hair and said that I didnt show any signs of major hair loss and she didnt see any cause for concern. I told my mom about my hair thinning and she said it was all in my head, until I showed her how my hair looked when I got out the shower. She confessed that when my hair was wet, it was extremely easy to see my scalp and it seemed as if I had no hair on the top of my head. I have a grandfather on my mother's side who started balding when he was 18. My biological father is also bald and so is his father, but the rest of my family has full heads of hair even in their 50's. I'm almost certain that my hair loss is due to MPB because I hit puberty at an early age. I already grow tons of facial and body hair, I have a deeper voice, but Im still growing in height little by little. I dont know if that has anything to do with my hair loss but I thought I'd mention it anyway. My diet is relatively good because I am an MMA fighter and I have to eat healthy, so I dont think my diet is the problem. Stress might be a problem though, especially ever since a few months ago when I first felt my hair getting thinner. This hair loss has taken a big toll on my life, I dont know how I even manage to smile anymore because I'm constantly depressed. I stress to the point where my head feels like its about to explode and I dont know how much longer I can deal with this. If anyone takes the time to read this, I would appreciate any advice given. More than anything i just want to talk with people who have gone through what I am dealing with, please help in any way possible.

Thumbs up

Hi

As rough as this sounds, you do have options. People don't like to admit to such a frivilous thing as hair loss causing so much distress, but believe when I say, I know EXACTLY how you feel - been there myself as I started about a year or 2 after you. For what it's worth, I'm mid thirties and still have a decent amount of hair. There are ways and means of achieving this and you have made an excelllant start with this particular forum!

So, your options -

1. Try shaving your head, move on....

No for everyone, but if you are up to it, then give it a go. If you are into MMA then you are probably in good shape so that always helps. This takes a certain type of person to do it (not me for one!!). If this isn't you, then there are other routes.

2. Seek out an IAHRS Doctor -

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/resource...lant-surgeons/

They will give you a proper diagnosis and suggest a way forward. Please note that a responsible surgeon should not raise surgery as an option at this time. They should however look at preventative protocols (medication, etc) and guide you through it. You are still very young in terms of medical intervention, but again a reputable Doctor will advise on this. They will also be able to help you plan for the future. By the way, this is looking bright (research Histogen, Aderans and Replicel among others). There has never been a better time to be a hair loss sufferer than now as the science behind the treatment side is developing in numerous ways. It may not help right now, but certainly gives someone your age proof that better treatments are on the way. Fingers crossed, by the time you hit your early 20's, there should be a clearer picture on these new therapies.

Remember - early intervention is the key so start researching now!

3. Listen to the Bald Truth

There are a ton of archive episodes to download. These shows help as they provide education and also practical advice from people who have been there. Trust me, the best thing to do is to start here and use their resources to educate youself properly. Fear of the unknown can make matters far worse and having valid, legitimate information will provide the means for you to make informed decisions.

4. Be wary of the forums

Somewhat of a contradictory piece of advice I grant you, however there is a tremendous flow of misinformation out there. Don't let anyone tell you what you should do as everyone has their own opinion. Stick to users who keep an open mind and promote education.

I hope this helps to some degree. In the very least it gives you a place to start and focus your attention in a constructive manner.

Good luck and please ask further questions. You will recognise the "good guys" on this forum with any luck!

My first suggestion is to come to the forums to get support. 16 is remarkably early to have hair loss, but there are other guys here that have experienced hair loss at your age and will provide some compassion and empathy. Don't discount how meaningful some kind words from some anonymous people on the internet can be.

I know how awful hair loss must be during high school. As Alex pointed out, however, your options are going to be limited. No ethical, responsible transplant surgeon would operate on you (I would say 25 is the ABSOLUTE earliest that a young man should be transplanted), and you're arguably too early to take Propecia.

But take Alex's suggestion and find an IAHRS surgeon. Even if you're not going to be transplanted, they can consult with you, examine your hair loss with expert scrutiny, and guide you through the process. They're all kind, attentive doctors who should be more than happy to meet with you despite your ineligibility for surgery. They can educate you about hair loss, tell you with greater authority what options you have, and simply make you feel better by providing you with expertise and information. You've found out that most dermatologists really don't have much to offer in treating hair loss, and I wouldn't waste my time with them.

Perhaps the best thing you can do is stay in prime physical shape. You already mentioned that you have a terrific diet and exercise regimen. Stick to it. If hair loss is taking a toll on your self-esteem, compensate elsewhere. Hit the gym hard and get a kickin' bod. In high school, not many guys are hitting the weight room yet with much discipline. You're in that developmental phase when your body can add muscle like nobody's business, so devote plenty of time to the gym and get yourself a body to be proud of. It won't repair the self-esteem damage from the hair loss, but it'll offset it and make you feel masculine and powerful.

These guys have already given you some very good advice. I would definitely seek out an IAHRS doctor just to help evaluate your situation. A transplant is out of the question at this point, but they are hair loss experts who can help guide you and even monitor your hair loss with you.

There are some very good people on this forum and a few very bad people. Stay clear of the obsessive posters and ranters who preach that hair loss is the end of the world. There are a few extremely young, negative obsessive posters who you are probably aware of if you've been reading the forum, these few unstable young men, are NOT who you should be taking advice from!

You should for sure listen to Spencer Kobren's show as suggested by 8868alex, it's very good therapy and I've read some posts on this forum where extremely depressed guys who believed they could never live without their hair loss, have been helped by the show to the point of being able to move on with their lives and be happy, productive people.

Hair loss sucks at any age, so just try to put things into perspective. Work your ass off in MMA and do well in school and I promise you that no matter how things turn out with your hair, you will have a happy and productive life!

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Adam, please accept my friend request oK? I am here for you brother. Lets talk asap!

Hey buddy,

MMA fighters look better with short hair anyways. Keep eating well and exercising. Don't do anything drastic. At 16, you have a lot of life to live - the best years are still ahead of you. I'm sure at least one person has poured their energy in raising you. Mid-teens are a time where your emotions and hormones are naturally unstable. I remember feeling real down at that age because of acne. You'll hear it a thousand times, but it's true: It gets better with time. You'll look back some day down the road and wonder why you ever felt so depressed.

Trust me. You want to be on Earth. Do whatever you can to better yourself.

Kind regards.

I was 15-16 when i started to lose my hair too. The worst part for me was trying to hide it 24/7. People say it gets better as time passes but i really find that to be a load of crap. Im 20 years old now and it bothers me just as much, prob even more. My advice is don't let people tel you this aint a serious problem because it sure is. Only thing to do is be strong and keep on going because its our only option, suicide is not an option.

I was 23 years old when I started to lose my hair rapidly. It was quite the blow for me then to face that. I moved from a Norwood 1.5 to a 3 in technically less than two to three years and in that time living under baseball caps and shaving my head I tried staved it off with a hair regimen to fight that bullshit. I am now 41 years old somwhere past Norwood 4 to 5 around now but now with Propecia and Minoxidil and Nizoral I have now only slowed it but I have succeeded in slowing reversing the damage I now starting I can see the slow return to Norwood 3 and hopefully back to something better than that.

More importantly you have a full life to live from where I stand at 41 years old nearly three times your age. I have kids now ages 3 and 4 years old.. I have had great relationships dated while bald and balding and made love to a beautiful green eyed brunette who was smart and savvy and educated with an hourglass rack of curves 38 DD who became the mother of my kids and one of the greatest loves of my life and she loves bald men she finds it to be a turn on.

At 41 years old I decided to stop the shaving altogether and make a last stand and so far it has paid off. In the meantime though you need to make the most of your life now... losing your hair is although traumatic is not a death sentence you don't have four months to live and there will be women who will be attracted to you for more than your hair.. but you wit, charm, your intellect and your balls man! You are more than just your hair.. that was frosting on the cake but the cake has to taste good to for someone to want to eat it... can't have good frosting and a shitty cake. Talk to those closest to you. Suicide is not the path man. I have had a friend who killed himself at 39 years old and locked himself in his apartment, quit his job and ended his life and none of his friends including me knew about it. And it was so upsetting.. so tragic.. such a waste because the man was best writer and storyteller I had ever known and the people who end their lives have no idea of the mess they leave behind wit htheir families and friends.

Sudcide is not the answer, think of the people you will hurt.

Hair loss sucks!!! I started balding when I was 15 rapidly now I'm 17 with super thin hair + NW 2.5.

Listen to Spencer advice in this link below. Everything he says is true we are not alone ther are many of us under 18 facing hair loss, read the comments as well.
    http://www.thebaldtruth.com/articles/16-going-bald/

Growing your hair long isn't the best idea becuase having long hair can make your hair look even thinner

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

I'm wondering if Adam is doing OK. Its possible he would not return here.
    If you are still visiting this forum,,let us know how you are Adam.
    We dont want you or anyone else feel like suicide is an answer to hair loss. It is NOT. At 16 years old you have a lot ahead of you including hair loss TREATMENTS. GOOD ones. Talk to us