+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Advice on Prevention

Hi
    I am new to this forum and forums in general so forgive me if I commit any forum faux pas. Everybody on here seems to be so knowledgeable and up on the scientific progress of preventions and cure that I thought I would join and ask my question here rather than going to a doctor and being laughed out the surgery.
    I am 32 and although I am not balding yet, I have 2 older brothers who are receding and thinning extremely quickly. They just both got to their mid-thirties and their hair just went so fast, I was shocked.
    I have the same hair line as they `had` and the fact that I have two {not just one} older brothers who have lost their hair so quickly and like clockwork after each other, I know the writing is pretty much on the wall for me.
    So I thought I would ask about prevention on this forum now, because if my brothers are anything to go by, I have about 2 years or maybe less.

So, what can I do to prevent what has happened to my brothers, happening to me while I still have hair? Is it even possible to prevent it? Is it a case of, some things work for some people and some things don`t or is there 1 go-to thing for prevention? I`d also like to know about side-effects and stuff like that. I live in the UK but I am sure we all have the same things available.

I know there is the minefield of people giving advice with a vested interest so I am hoping you guys will guide me so I can be better informed.

Thanks in advance.
    I really want to keep what I have until that great cure is found which I am sure won`t be too long guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerve View Post
    So, what can I do to prevent what has happened to my brothers, happening to me while I still have hair? Is it even possible to prevent it?
    Yes it is possible to prevent it, or at least slow it down. If this bothers you, you need to book an appointment with a doctor who specializes in treating hereditary hair loss. You can also find the most accurate information about treating hereditary hair loss currently available at this site:

http://www.americanhairloss.org/

Is it a case of, some things work for some people and some things don`t...
    There are currently only two medications that are proven to work and FDA approved to prevent hereditary hair loss and possibly reverse some of it for most males (Finasteride and Minoxidil). There are two adjunct treatments also available that work for many (Ketoconazole shampoo and Low Level Laser Therapy), though Ketoconazole is not FDA approved as a treatment.

...or is there 1 go-to thing for prevention?
    There is no such thing as a treatment that works for everyone.

I`d also like to know about side-effects and stuff like that.
    Both of the proven medications for treating hereditary hair loss have possible side effects. The rate of occurrence for these possible side effects is not common. You need to discus this with your doctor.

Of the two adjunct treatments, Ketoconazole shampoo has possible side effects but they are rare. Low Level Laser Therapy has no known side effects at this time. However, Low Level Laser Therapy may work better for females than it does for males.

I know there is the minefield of people giving advice with a vested interest so I am hoping you guys will guide me so I can be better informed.
    The best way for you to get informed is to book an appointment with a doctor who specializes in treating hereditary hair loss. The internet is full of misinformation and outright fear mongering when treating hair loss is the topic of discussion. The best thing for you to do is to not read hair loss forums at all. Talk to real doctors instead.

Thanks for getting back to me. I was starting to feel guilty because a lot of the people have it much worse than me, I just wanted to get some genuine honest advice as I was shocked by both of my brothers losing their hair so quickly.

I have a couple more questions though. My brothers hair loss seems to be happening in exactly the same pattern, by which I mean their hairlines are rapidly receding.
    Do the preventative measures work well on receding hairlines because I got the impression they work better on thinning hair and bald spots and not so much on receding hair. Is this true?
    Also, are there any statistic on brothers and hair loss and does having 2 balding brothers show a much higher probability for me rather than say 1 balding brother.
    Thanks again.
    Sorry if my questions seem dumb but I am new to this subject.

Im not sure I can answer the bulk of your post, but the part on brothers I can. I'm one of three, also the youngest of three brothers. Brother No1 has slightly receded NW1-2 hair, but its thick and fine...damn him.

Brother No2 is a Norwood 3-4. Its obvious he's balding...

No3 (me). Im a diffuse thinner, obvious I too am balding, but not receding. I reckon Im a NW2, but obviously with the diffuse, counts for jack all.

Im inclined to believe I'd work well with Finasteride, although my GP refuses to prescribe it.

In terms of numbers, its really russian roulette. On my dads side no ones balding til their 40s/50s, whereas on my mums side, Grandad and Uncle are bald, and me and No2 seem to be following that pattern. Although I for one am taking preventative measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post

In your position I would just get on finasteride and see how that goes. Minoxidil and Keto are a bit of a chore sometimes. So since you're not in a rush, and apparently not losing any hair, I'd see if you can get away with the most convenient option first.
    Thanks for the great answer. Though I am a little unsure about that last part. Did you mean finasteride is the most convenient option?

Also, does anyone have any insight into my chances of getting away with not receding like my 2 brothers have done?

Thanks for the great answer. Though I am a little unsure about that last part. Did you mean finasteride is the most convenient option?

Also, does anyone have any insight into my chances of getting away with not receding like my 2 brothers have done?

Just have to keep checking for it. If you do decide to go on fin/propecia, don't delay hoping the loss will stop. My mom's side of the family predicted I would bald like her brother & father but I was not convinced. Heck at When I turned 35 , I checked and saw absolutely no sign of loss in the back. My hair at that time was 2x as thick as my GF's. Yet about 1.5 years later it appeared at what seemed like overnight. Tried rogaine alone but a spot kept forming/expanding till I added propecia. I don't know why, but sometimes balding can start very suddenly. If you start seeing lots of hair in the sink/pillow don't procrastinate.

Meds can buy you a lot of time. I am much better off than my uncle was at my age.

Just keep an eye out for loss ....who knows it might skip you... good luck!

I have a couple more questions though...

Do the preventative measures work well on receding hairlines because I got the impression they work better on thinning hair and bald spots and not so much on receding hair. Is this true?
    Within the context of talking about the current treatments as "preventative measures", Finasteride is just as likely to "prevent" further loss in the hair line as it is anywhere else on your scalp. If you actually mean to discus this within the context of "reversal - or regrowth", none of the current treatments work well to regrow hair in the hair line for most males.

Also, are there any statistic on brothers.
    I don't know. Both my brothers are balding in the same pattern. Both of their sons are losing in the same pattern as their fathers. My father never started losing hair until well into his 60's. My sister and I are losing in the same pattern as our mother. We also started losing hair at the same age our mother was when she started losing hair. If it is obviously strong in your family, you are likely going to be effected - unless you are really really lucky.

I wish there was some statistical info to help you but hair loss genetics can be so unpredictable. This does mean that you are by no means certain to lose hair at the same age, rate and in the same pattern as your brothers.

Do your brothers both have the same hair characteristics? I mean like hair colour, thickness and texture.

How does yours compare?
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    Do your brothers both have the same hair characteristics? I mean like hair colour, thickness and texture.

How does yours compare?
    It is strange because my eldest brother has/had black hair, my middle brother was born with blonde but it got darker through the years and I have dark brown.
    The thing is, our hair lines were always the same. Our hair lines were always really high at the temples. Even as kids, if you slick backed our hair, we looked like we were receding. We all share that. So we all have a head start really and now my brothers hair starts really far back. It looks terrible.

I do have a horrible rats tail which neither of my brothers have but I do not know whether that is a hair thing or a neck contour thing.

Is the hair line thing more of a sign for me? Should I get on the meds before or after I see the first sign?

It seems that your hair could follow the pattern of your brothers, but not necessarily. It really is that unpredictable.

In my opinion, it's best to wait until clear signs of hair loss are seen before starting medication like Propecia.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com