+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    Just curious but does it normally grow hair up front for females?
    Yes. The reason is because most females are not genetically programmed to have an adult mature male hair line. Males who are attempting to regrow hair in there hair line, especially the temples, are fighting against a natural and normal masculine trait - not MPB.

I also wonder if minox may work better for girls....for example:
    I do believe Minoxidil works better for females. This is especially true if she has worked with her doctor to determine what is triggering her hair loss and is treating that cause with an appropriate treatment. Though for some women, Minoxidil alone is enough.

There is a woman friend I work with that had diffuse thinning on top/back. She was never bald but had clear thinning. I was told she went on minox and now her hair looks completely normal again and has been that way for say 5years now. Minox appears to have completely stopped the process...

Yet for me...while I have had good results from minox, it alone only slows down my loss. Only when I was also on propecia did it completly stop and reverse. Not sure if my example is typical, but just wonder why the difference in results. Any speculation?
    When we are talking about hereditary hair loss, the reason is because males have far more DHT in their bodies than females. Though both males and females who suffer with hereditary hair loss have hair follicles that are more sensative to the damaging effects of DHT, males have much more DHT to fight against. Using Minoxidil alone to fight hereditary hair loss is an uphill battle, especially for males. Males with hereditary hair loss are fight their way up a steeper hill than females who are fighting the same battle.

I know there is the minefield of people giving advice with a vested interest so I am hoping you guys will guide me so I can be better informed.
    There is some good information in this Video from Dateline NBC, its old, you may have already watched it, but the results from just Propecia are quite impressive, I know it works well for me also with no side effects.

Cheers,

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Yes. The reason is because most females are not genetically programmed to have an adult mature male hair line. Males who are attempting to regrow hair in there hair line, especially the temples, are fighting against a natural and normal masculine trait - not MPB.
    Didn't think of that but it makes sense. I don't think any women get the puberty hairline change?. And yea long ago, I tried to fight mine too as
    I also thought it would quickly spread, which thankfully was not true.

I do believe Minoxidil works better for females. This is especially true if she has worked with her doctor to determine what is triggering her hair loss and is treating that cause with an appropriate treatment. Though for some women, Minoxidil alone is enough.
    Do you think it works better strictly due to the difference in DHT or some other factor?

When we are talking about hereditary hair loss, the reason is because males have far more DHT in their bodies than females. Though both males and females who suffer with hereditary hair loss have hair follicles that are more sensative to the damaging effects of DHT, males have much more DHT to fight against. Using Minoxidil alone to fight hereditary hair loss is an uphill battle, especially for males. Males with hereditary hair loss are fight their way up a steeper hill than females who are fighting the same battle.
    yea that makes sense but I wonder if there are other factors as well?
    The reason I say this is because with age DHT & testosterone is supposed to go down, yet more men start balding the older you get. Kinda an inverse relationship that has always confused me.

As far as the minox not being enough for men I am living proof of that unfortunately. And I hope to be back on propecia soon for this very reason. If my mpb was rapid/aggressive like it is in some men,I could completely understand minox not being enough. But I have had very very gradual mpb. Very slow recession starting around 15-17. The only time it was ever rapid was when my crown started to thin. Otherwise its been a very slow process(30+ years now). So what frustrates me is how I can have such a gradual/slow type of mpb yet it has still been unstoppable, slow as it is. Have you ever heard of anyone else having very slow, but never stopping mpb like this?

I know balding is much harder to deal with for a women, but if it helps, I can say it is a lot more common than people probably realize. I know this because my main branch office is 90% women and there are at least 3 others with some loss. 2 are older (late 50's-early 60's) and have some diffuse crown/top of head thinning. The other one is much younger and has a tiny bit of recession. I used to think it was very rare in women, but I now think it is much more common than I thought.