+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks.
    What are the very first signs of a receding hair line?
    I know that sounds a silly question but does it appear to thin at the front or does the level retreat evenly? I want to know as early as possible because my natural temple line is so high, some would guess I am receding already.
    Fortunately or unfortunately, I have had the high temples all my life.

You might see thinning anywhere along the hairline, but most commonly at the temples first. Basically watch out for any changes in either the position of the hairline or the density anywhere along it.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    in my opinion, it's best to wait until clear signs of hair loss are seen before starting medication like propecia.
    +1000000000!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    You might see thinning anywhere along the hairline, but most commonly at the temples first. Basically watch out for any changes in either the position of the hairline or the density anywhere along it.
    Thanks for your great answers.

Quote Originally Posted by dan26 View Post
    +1000000000!!!!
    What does that mean? You agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerve View Post
    Thanks for your great answers.

What does that mean? You agree?
    Yea man. Though most claim the instances for sides are low, I personally would not risk is especially if you aren't even seeing signs of hair loss yet, and especially seeing as there will be better alternatives in the near future. You can keep what you have without it until then. The drug simply is not for everyone. Some DHT reduction is good overall from the view point of longevity and prostate health but even if I was on fin I wouldn't really be happy about it even if it helped my hair, I would hope for a better alternative, or take a reduced dose.

Oh I do have one more question. What is the best shampoo/conditioner should I be using for someone in my position? I do not want to have special hair loss product and shampoos but I mean, is there any shampoos that are better for men who are not losing yet but think it may be soon? Something really mild right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerve View Post
    Oh I do have one more question. What is the best shampoo/conditioner should I be using for someone in my position? I do not want to have special hair loss product and shampoos but I mean, is there any shampoos that are better for men who are not losing yet but think it may be soon? Something really mild right?
    Well there are a lot of different answers for that. It depends on your specific needs. Are you sensitive to chemicals or fragrance? Is your scalp dry, itchy, inflamed? Is it oily? Scalp heath is important for hair and there are tons of great shampoo's to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Within the context of talking about the current treatments as "preventative measures", Finasteride is just as likely to "prevent" further loss in the hair line as it is anywhere else on your scalp. If you actually mean to discus this within the context of "reversal - or regrowth", none of the current treatments work well to regrow hair in the hair line for most males.
    Agree but sometimes it can work up front. On rogaine alone I got almost nothing up front. I went on propecia solely to stop a bald spot from forming in the the back. Yet within months my hairline started filling in and even came forward. This was even before i saw any results in the back which took much longer. I didn't even realize how much my hairline had gone back till it filled it,,probably because it happened so slowly.

As to why I got good results up front..I can only speculate..but with myself,my uncle and grandfather we all seem to lose hair faster in the back than in the front. My grandfather still had a small amount of hair in the front long after he was totally bald in the back. And the same thing is happening to my uncle. All of this despite our hairlines receding long before the vertex started. I guess it is a genetic thing..but who knows?

I don't know. Both my brothers are balding in the same pattern. Both of their sons are losing in the same pattern as their fathers. My father never started losing hair until well into his 60's. My sister and I are losing in the same pattern as our mother. We also started losing hair at the same age our mother was when she started losing hair. If it is obviously strong in your family, you are likely going to be effected - unless you are really really lucky.
    I think this is certainly true some of the time even though some say you can't look at relatives to predict your own loss. I know I follow my mom's brother and father, even though I did not believe it at first. In my late 20's my grandmother said I would follow them as I already had the same hairline shape. But I had no baldspot so I didn't really believe her. But she said my uncle didn't ether till shortly after 35 or so. By 38 I could see she was right as I had a pic of him at 38 and we even had the same oval shaped thin spot in the back. To me this is good info to know as you can get on meds to avoid or at least slow how fast you join your relatives

I know this is not true all the time but I am convinced that sometimes you will bald just like your relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    Agree but sometimes it can work up front.
    Please note that I did say "for most males". Yes, sometimes some males can get lucky and will regrow hair up front for him - but that is not the norm and it should not be expected or counted on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Please note that I did say "for most males". Yes, sometimes some males can get lucky and will regrow hair up front for him - but that is not the norm and it should not be expected or counted on.
    Just curious but does it normally grow hair up front for females?

I also wonder if minox may work better for girls....for example:

There is a woman friend I work with that had diffuse thinning on top/back. She was never bald but had clear thinning. I was told she went on minox and now her hair looks completely normal again and has been that way for say 5years now. Minox appears to have completely stopped the process...

Yet for me...while I have had good results from minox, it alone only slows down my loss. Only when I was also on propecia did it completly stop and reverse. Not sure if my example is typical, but just wonder why the difference in results. Any speculation?