+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Latisse

Default Latisse

I have just come across this old news article on Latisse: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/fa...SKIN.html?_r=0

I apologise if this has already been discussed before as I realise it is an old article. However, has anyone on the forums ever tried (successfully or unsuccessfully) to apply the Latisse eyelash product to their scalp?

My understanding is that Latisse has successfully been proven to grow eyelash hair and they are currently working on a higher strength version for the scalp. So by the sounds of it this might be a higher strength version of Minoxidil (if we are lucky).

The guy in the article claims to have had success growing scalp hair using the eyelash version of the product. The article also mentions Dr Alan Bauman prescribing the key ingredient in it Bitmaprost to his patients with a 70% success rates.

If this is all true then this product obviously works and so I am surprised more people aren't using it.

What is the general thinking on the forums regarding Latisse?

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromUK View Post
    I have just come across this old news article on Latisse: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/fa...SKIN.html?_r=0

I apologise if this has already been discussed before as I realise it is an old article. However, has anyone on the forums ever tried (successfully or unsuccessfully) to apply the Latisse eyelash product to their scalp?

My understanding is that Latisse has successfully been proven to grow eyelash hair and they are currently working on a higher strength version for the scalp. So by the sounds of it this might be a higher strength version of Minoxidil (if we are lucky).

The guy in the article claims to have had success growing scalp hair using the eyelash version of the product. The article also mentions Dr Alan Bauman prescribing the key ingredient in it Bitmaprost to his patients with a 70% success rates.

If this is all true then this product obviously works and so I am surprised more people aren't using it.

What is the general thinking on the forums regarding Latisse?
    Hey

You're right. It definitely does work in terms of regrowth however there are TWO issues with Latisse:

1) Strength: In the animal studies (apes who had gone bald) they had to increase the strength of Latisse by 10-15 times to be able to achieve any cosmetic regrowth. Based on that, they used the same high strength formula in their Phase I trial which led to double digit regrowth. So, you can be sure that the current strength of Latisse available over the counter will be ineffective in terms of regrowth and too expensive for such experimental purposes!

2) Pigmentation: Latisse is based on an eye drop used in patients with Glaucoma. Now, a major problem with this drug is its potential for pigmentation. For example, patients with light blue/green eyes will permanently change the colour of their eyes to light/dark brown! Furthermore, it can also cause pigmentation of the eyelids. In the Phase I trial of Bimatoprost for Hair loss over 60% of subjects reported some level of pigmentation at the site of application after 6 months.

Now, here's whats worrying: what if one day you give up on your hair regimen or simply run out of options, not only will you lose your hair but you will also suffer from patchy pigementations all over your scalps, which may require years of Hydroquinone cream application to return the colour of your scalp back to normal!

I say our best option is histogen in the short-term and Aderans/Replicel in the long-term. Bimatoprost is simply for those that are in a bad shape in terms of hair loss and are unable to use Minoxidil. Its a short-term solution till we get our hands on Histogen