+ Reply to Thread

Post 20, mpb, minox side effects?

Greetings everyone, I'm new to this forum but I have been monitoring the website for some time now. I first realized that I was experiencing mpb back around April when a friend of mine noticed "a bald spot" on the crown of my head. He pointed this out in the gym under very bright light conditions, not long after I had a haircut (day or two). In the weeks after I noticed a tingling, itchy sensation on my vertex.

I started supplementing with saw palmetto, but was inconsistent and sporadic at best. In May I decided to shave my head for a chance to separate myself from the vanity associated with my hair, an experience I don't regret (dropped s. palmetto at this point). My immediate notice after was my revealed "mature hairline", a NW 2 I believe. Anyways, I still wasn't fully convinced that I was actually losing my hair so I went the entire summer without paying much mind to it.

I invested in a quality ketoconozale shampoo -- Regenepure, so I thought I'd done enough through the liberal use of it. Fast forward to the middle of august, I realized that my hair was truly thinning and I was suffering tremendously from the notorious "itch". I decided I'd try a much more serious approach, and began applying Lipogaine 5%. I experienced the shed associated with minoxidil approximately 3-4 weeks in, but have been consistent with daily applications and can say I'm probably the same to slightly better since starting.

The problem is that I believe I am experiencing side effects from the minoxidil. I've definitely become hairier throughout the rest of my body, but what concerns me is that I can no longer work out because of the headaches. My first time applying the Lipo I experienced a pounding headache, but further applications had no such effect. Well in the gym, I never had any issues working with heavier weights.

But the last three consecutive times I did leg workouts I experienced a "popping" on the left side of the back of my neck and it instantly radiates into my skull and produces a massive headache. I've since had to put down the weights after this phenomena occurred during a warm-up set. I also have distinct lines (wrinkles?) on both sides of my neck that I never noticed before using this product.

I understand that life can hit you with a few shots below the belt like mpb it is what it is, but the confluence of all these symptoms is really testing my limit . Any help on dealing with the sides would be much appreciated. I'd love to keep my hair, but not at the price of lifting and my youth!

YnD

Quote Originally Posted by younganddone00 View Post
    Greetings everyone, I'm new to this forum but I have been monitoring the website for some time now. I first realized that I was experiencing mpb back around April when a friend of mine noticed "a bald spot" on the crown of my head. He pointed this out in the gym under very bright light conditions, not long after I had a haircut (day or two). In the weeks after I noticed a tingling, itchy sensation on my vertex.

I started supplementing with saw palmetto, but was inconsistent and sporadic at best. In May I decided to shave my head for a chance to separate myself from the vanity associated with my hair, an experience I don't regret (dropped s. palmetto at this point). My immediate notice after was my revealed "mature hairline", a NW 2 I believe. Anyways, I still wasn't fully convinced that I was actually losing my hair so I went the entire summer without paying much mind to it.

I invested in a quality ketoconozale shampoo -- Regenepure, so I thought I'd done enough through the liberal use of it. Fast forward to the middle of august, I realized that my hair was truly thinning and I was suffering tremendously from the notorious "itch". I decided I'd try a much more serious approach, and began applying Lipogaine 5%. I experienced the shed associated with minoxidil approximately 3-4 weeks in, but have been consistent with daily applications and can say I'm probably the same to slightly better since starting.

The problem is that I believe I am experiencing side effects from the minoxidil. I've definitely become hairier throughout the rest of my body, but what concerns me is that I can no longer work out because of the headaches. My first time applying the Lipo I experienced a pounding headache, but further applications had no such effect. Well in the gym, I never had any issues working with heavier weights.

But the last three consecutive times I did leg workouts I experienced a "popping" on the left side of the back of my neck and it instantly radiates into my skull and produces a massive headache. I've since had to put down the weights after this phenomena occurred during a warm-up set. I also have distinct lines (wrinkles?) on both sides of my neck that I never noticed before using this product.

I understand that life can hit you with a few shots below the belt like mpb it is what it is, but the confluence of all these symptoms is really testing my limit . Any help on dealing with the sides would be much appreciated. I'd love to keep my hair, but not at the price of lifting and my youth!

YnD
    I think you should stop the treatment with minox when you are experiencing these side effects. This advise comes from a guy who has used the treatment twice daily for several years, and had the sides with unwanted bodyhair growth, and severe wrinkles on my forehead. Results with the drug, is a joke, and is not worth all the hassle, especially if you experience side effects.

YnD

From your story, your thinning conincided with your use of keto. Rethink it through.

I also experienced this, but i not knowingly blamed "mpb" however later to find out it was the keto.

Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    From your story, your thinning conincided with your use of keto. Rethink it through.

I also experienced this, but i not knowingly blamed "mpb" however later to find out it was the keto.
    Maybe I should have been more detailed about my situation. My father and grandfather both started losing hair by the time they were 20. After I shaved my head it revealed the thinning.

I was doing fine on the keto shampoo until later in the summer after I began a creatine cycle and consumed it together with high levels of simple carbs (sugars I believe) to maximize the effect. I believed this had an adverse impact on my hair, but that is neither here nor there.

Maybe it's a bit selfish posting today...I apologize if I interrupted anyone's holiday. Happy Thanksgiving everyone (after all there is so much else to be thankful for).

YnD

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger norwood's View Post
    I think you should stop the treatment with minox when you are experiencing these side effects. This advise comes from a guy who has used the treatment twice daily for several years, and had the sides with unwanted bodyhair growth, and severe wrinkles on my forehead. Results with the drug, is a joke, and is not worth all the hassle, especially if you experience side effects.
    How long have you been off the minox Tiger? Has your condition improved in terms of the sides? What's the condition of your hair today?

YnD

I also wondered about my use of Keto(I use Nizoral twice a week) and if it does more harm than good. It seems to stop my itch though, and about 3days after using it I notice my itch starting to come back, so isn't that a good sign its keep the itch at bay for a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Creating increases DHT levels by a substantial amount based on one South African uni study.

In future avoid adding new treatments simultaneously as it becomes near impossible to effectively evaluate their effectiveness or which is causing sides.

And regenepure (Keto one) should only be used every few days, although I do know of people who use it daily.
    If what you say is true Highlander, then I will probably avoid supplementing with creatine in the future. I started regenepure in May and Lipo in mid-August, but maybe the it was too soon so I cannot evaluate the efficacy of the keto shampoo.

Right now my biggest priority is resolving the migraines. I understand from some of your prior posts that you lift fairly often and take finasteride. Have you noticed any detriment to your work outs since beginning the fin?

YnD

Any help on dealing with the sides would be much appreciated.
    The problem may be that you are using Lipogaine instead of normal Rogaine or common generic Minoxidil. At this time, you do not actually know if Minoxidil itself or one of the other ingredients in Lipogaine is causing the problem. It may even be that the fact that Lipogaine is combination blend is the problem. My advice to you is to slowly switch from Lipogaine to either Rogaine or common generic Minoxidil. The efficacy of the extra ingredients in Lipogaine is questionable at best anyways.

If you are going to use a Ketoconazole shampoo, you should not be using it more than twice per week. Over using Ketoconazole can make your hair loss worsen. For your regular shampooing, you should be using sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.

If you want to use Saw Palmetto, it is best to use a good quality Saw Palmetto complex rather than straight Saw Palmetto. You can usually find a good quality Saw Palmetto complex in the vitamins and supplements isle. The bottle will clearly have the word "COMPLEX" on the label.

Of course you always have the option of allowing nature to take it's course. Many men have done so since the beginning of recorded history.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    The problem may be that you are using Lipogaine instead of normal Rogaine or common generic Minoxidil. At this time, you do not actually know if Minoxidil itself or one of the other ingredients in Lipogaine is causing the problem. It may even be that the fact that Lipogaine is combination blend is the problem. My advice to you is to slowly switch from Lipogaine to either Rogaine or common generic Minoxidil. The efficacy of the extra ingredients in Lipogaine is questionable at best anyways.

If you are going to use a Ketoconazole shampoo, you should not be using it more than twice per week. Over using Ketoconazole can make your hair loss worsen. For your regular shampooing, you should be using sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.

If you want to use Saw Palmetto, it is best to use a good quality Saw Palmetto complex rather than straight Saw Palmetto. You can usually find a good quality Saw Palmetto complex in the vitamins and supplements isle. The bottle will clearly have the word "COMPLEX" on the label.

Of course you always have the option of allowing nature to take it's course. Many men have done so since the beginning of recorded history.
    Tracey, do you think that Lipogaine isn't more effective than regular minoxidil products? Have you ever tried it? Also I've realized I definitely should have mentioned that at the same time I started using Lipogaine, I have been doing the "scalp exercise" daily.

Beginning I was very skeptical of that it could produce any effect, even now I don't know for sure. It comes easy to me though and I do it for about 15 minutes in the shower everyday. Anyways my point is that the exercise targets the occipitalis muscles, directly above where the pain originates. Could this be contributing to the migraines?

YnD

Tracey, do you think that Lipogaine isn't more effective than regular minoxidil products?
    I do not believe Lipogaine is any more effective than common generic Minoxidil that you can buy at your local pharmacy or even at Walmart.

Have you ever tried it?
    I have never tried it. I have no desire to try and I have no intention of ever trying it. The "extra stuff" in Lipogaine is the primary reason why I will never try it. The efficacy of the extra ingredients is questionable at best - and they can increase your likely hood of experiencing the possible side effects of Minoxidil. Not to mention the fact that the extra ingredients themselves have possible side effects.

I have been doing the "scalp exercise" daily.
    Though I have certainly heard of scalp exercises, I have never heard any doctor who specializes in treating hair loss comment that doing such exercises does any good. I do not know if doing them contributes to migraines. I do know that you should be talking to a doctor about those migraines.