+ Reply to Thread

Default A new lease on life

So as I've stated on the forums a few times I've decided to wean myself off propecia. I had a bout of psychological ED and it made me realize how insane being on this drug is. Only now I've got myself to afraid of getting PFS while quitting the drug. Being the worry wart that I am I've been reading stories of guys like me who had no sides on the drug who quit and had their lives ruined. This shit is keeping me up at night. I just gotta remind myself it's really damn rare.

I swear if I can get off this drug with no strings attached it'll be like I have a new lease on life. Being confronted with the idea of never being able to use my penis again. And I mean like actually being confronted with it, those 4 days of self inflicted ED were horrifying, has made me reevaluate a lot of things. Suddenly hair isn't ****ing important anymore. I could be ugly and bald and disfigured, but none of that compares to the stories i've heard of PFS.

On the bright side if I come out fine, it's gonna let me be a pretty stable person, after dealing with all this life's other problems don't seem so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post
    So as I've stated on the forums a few times I've decided to wean myself off propecia. I had a bout of psychological ED and it made me realize how insane being on this drug is. Only now I've got myself to afraid of getting PFS while quitting the drug. Being the worry wart that I am I've been reading stories of guys like me who had no sides on the drug who quit and had their lives ruined. This shit is keeping me up at night. I just gotta remind myself it's really damn rare.

I swear if I can get off this drug with no strings attached it'll be like I have a new lease on life. Being confronted with the idea of never being able to use my penis again. And I mean like actually being confronted with it, those 4 days of self inflicted ED were horrifying, has made me reevaluate a lot of things. Suddenly hair isn't ****ing important anymore. I could be ugly and bald and disfigured, but none of that compares to the stories i've heard of PFS.

On the bright side if I come out fine, it's gonna let me be a pretty stable person, after dealing with all this life's other problems don't seem so bad.
    This is a pretty powerful post. I'm a worry wart as well. When I'm not worried about hairloss, I'm worried about school, money, girls, family, etc, etc, etc, etc. A lot of the members of my family on my dad's side are the same way. Since hair is so intimately associated with our youthful aesthetics, we put a bounty on it; like it's the only thing that could ever matter.

I find your story intriguing and comforting. I'm still finding total peace with my hair. Even though it isn't that bad yet, I'm bracing myself for the worst. I hope that other members of this forum, especially the extremists, read your post and realize there is life after hairloss, and it doesn't have to be a life short on quality.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post

Im in what might be a similar position to you, except I'm not on the drug and my GP has pretty much ruled it out. I refuse to buy it without going through a doctor, Im not buying meds off the net...

And you're right, I know my hairs thinning and it does shed and I think...F***. But then I think I have a good job, Im keeping fit. No one will think any different of you, but your confidence might take a knock (mine has Ill admit), but im channeling other ways to bring it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    So you have no sides on the drug, and something entirely unrelated and psychological caused temporary erectile dysfunction, so you're going to go off finasteride?

Christ... and people call me insane.

You realise nothing will change except you're going to be a lot balder and less aesthetic?

I feel like ddosing that ****ing propecia help website for spreading their bullshit and making people think this drug is going to make your dick fall off and never work again. Have you not read the studies? Do you not realise how unlikely getting these sides are - let alone permanent ones? It wasn't even though POSSIBLE until a few years ago.
    It's hard to explain, and I used to think a lot like you. Considering it's really obvious you hang around /fit/ the biggest center for body dysmorhpia on the internet. I hang around there too, and I still care about aesthetics, just not at the expense of more important things. Look when I had that bout of psychological ED at the time I didn't know it was psychological, I assumed it was, but I didn't know. And let me tell you when you're directly confronted with the possibility that you may have just ruined your entire life at the age of 21 you have certain epiphanies. I realized so many things, and just to give some context I went through some bad bad places thanks to hairloss. I'm sure a lot of us on this forum have. For me it triggered the worst in me, I've been crazy depressed for the past year, I would get jealous of my friends and lash out at them and they wouldn't know why. I felt worthless and that I would be alone forever. I stopped seeing myself as a peer of my friends and that I was lower and worse than all of them. I even started drinking like 4 nights a week since it was the only way to put off the anxiety.

But suddenly none of that mattered. Everything was so clear when at that one moment I couldn't get it up. Everything before, those weren't problems, that was me being immature. Just imagining a life where I would never and could never be with a women. I could never have a relationship. I WOULD be less than my friends and peers, I wouldn't be a functioning man. At that point hair became laughable. A few days later i got over it and was able to get hard again, but at that point I decided I was done with this drug. I don't want it in my system anymore where I will never be at ease. Just look around there are guys who get sides 5, 10 years into it's use, or crash after coming off after all those years. Is it rare? Yes I agree with you, I know the studies, very, very rare. But it's still possible and I understand to an extent what it would feel like when you think you might be that 1% and it's not fun. I realized no risk, not even 0.00000001% is worth the ramifications this drug can have, at least not to me.

Like I said though hairloss and all this has put me in a dark place the past year, I dug myself into a hole and didn't want to come out. Now I'm at a place where I want out, I can get myself out. I just need to hope for the best as I quit propecia and remind myself exactly what you said. It's incredibly rare, so rare people didn't think it was possible.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    /fit/ is trash, I never go there. I do, however, go on actual bodybuilding forums like bodybuilding.com etc. The few times I've been on there they are mostly inexperienced lifters who are skinny or fat, and talk down on others with their make believe e-stats.

There's no valuable information to be found there, so I don't waste my time on it.
    Sounds like you need more OATS AND SQUATS!!!!1!