+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Story

Default My Story

I've been meaning to post in this forum for ages, but had to wait for my account to be activated!

So I'm 23 and diffuse thinning massively, I mean its getting to the point where my scalp is noticeable and hair on my sides is pretty thick. Does this suck? Yeah you bet, when I noticed it I panicked, had knots in my stomach and generally my sleeping sucked!

I even broke down in front of my mum because I was so worried with how people think of me. I then had thoughts of appearing as 'the bald guy' on facebook and thoughts of how would my friends react and how would I cope with even setting foot in a bar!

Even going to work seemed painful, I was withdrawn and bloody depressed to be quite frank.But as the days go by, I realise, I can't live life like this, you just can't. I wanna be successful and still do all the things I want to do, with or without hair.

But then I had like some eventual change of thought and a generally my perspective changed. Yes there will be some people who make comments, there will be people who will not touch a bald guy with a barge pole and generally there will be some utter nobs. But so what, I wasn't perfect with hair and I doubt Ill be without hair, but I'm still the same person.

I won't lie, I do feel slightly depressed its happening at such an early age and I do wish I can control it. I went to see my GP about Minoxidil, Finasteride etc...and just thought, can I be arsed doing all of this treatment and risking my testicles (the answer was no).

No, instead, I've joined a gym, committed to getting fit and just improving my confidence and going on with life.

I doubt Ill be a regular user of this forum, but when I see people like Highlander, I know they're just screwed up in the head (yes mate, I've read your posts and they're weird...).

So my perspective.

highlander,

can you put up some pics of your hairline?

Look, take it from me... I'm a little more, um, level-headed than Highlander. Give Propecia and minoxidil a look. Yes, there are the horror stories. But Propecia is a heavily tested, safe drug. Merck's clinical trials were ironclad in their execution. I'm not saying that you WON'T have any side effects, but they're rare and virtually always temporary/ephemeral. I've been on the drug for two months, and for the first few weeks I had lowered libido and weak erections... and then it all came back. Consider tapering slowly onto the drug... like .25mg every other day for two weeks, then .5mg EOD, then 1mg EOD, then 1mg daily. It'll put your mind at ease and it's a nice way to let your body be accustomed to it. And it really is the best tool we have for maintaining hair. It's relatively easy in theory to say, "Sure, I'll just let it go and cope." But until you're staring at that NW4+ head in the mirror, you have no idea of the emotional wallop you'll take. I'm 30 and still have a good head of hair (NW1-2), and even though I'm not one of the younger guys on this forum, I'm not emotionally ready to let my hair go.

Don't let people bully you or chastise you in doing what they FEEL is right for you. Walk your own path and follow your own mind and heart on the subject. You are getting fit and going to the gym... good for you.. kudos man!!
    Baldness hasn't beaten you not by a long shot.. your self esteem is still intact and you have taken a negative and used it to empower you!!
    And that's great!

This is Highlander:

Sorry Highlander, I know you sent that privately but I really do think it's a good photo!

You have the right attitude Exodus. It's really hard to deal with, but it's just one of many of life's battles that can be conquered. I'm glad you recognize that Highlander's way of thinking is not only incorrect, but extremely unhealthy. As difficult as hair loss is to deal with, there are much worse things in life. Stay with it in the gym, get yourself into tiptop shape and live. Please stick around, we need more young positive role models on this forum to counter any potential negative influence that Highlander might have on the young guys.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    this is highlander:

sorry highlander, i know you sent that privately but i really do think it's a good photo!

roflmao!!!!!!

Woah Chirs thinks he can just make fun of everyone now cause he is getting a HT!!!!
    Watch it man!!

ahahaah

Im not ruling out Finasteride entirely. I've been to see my GP who was hesitant as mentioned above, but Im having blood tests done first and then we'll go from there. Shame it's taking a few weeks, but we'll see.

Im not convinced with Minoxidil, some have had successes, others haven't, we'll see how it goes.

Im gonna buzz my hair tomorrow and just see how that goes. My diffuse is really noticeable and in daylight it's obvious, so I'm gonna improve that and just keep working out til I love my body <3.

Sounds like you'll triumph this disease, whether you keep your hair or not. That's refreshing to read. Best wishes.

I was totally uninterested in working out until my hair line started thinning. It definitely helps in multiple ways; you FEEL better, and you LOOK better. Not sure there is much else a balding man could ask (besides hair)