+ Reply to Thread

Default Could use some advice - TE vs. MPB?

Hey everyone

I just had a few quick question regarding my current situation.

Currently my hairline seems to be somewhere around a NW2, 2.5, or 3 (I can't really tell; but here's a picture), and recently I've been seeing some diffuse thinning as well (something I'd never noticed before).

The fact that it's around a NW2 (or, 2.5, or what have you) doesn't really surprise me, I've had that hairline for the past 4 years or so (I'm 22), but the thinning does (sorry for all the parentheticals).

The thing that is different from then to now is that the past year has been the most stressful I've ever encountered.

University, family stress, a terrible living environment, and an extremely painful argument that lasted for well over a year has led to my clinical depression hitting very hard. I was curious if this could potentially be a factor in the thinning.

I've started exercising a lot more, am changing my living conditions, ended that argument, and am generally trying to improve my life; but the hair stress is one that's bugging me a lot, simply because it's beyond my control.

Is it possible with all these changes to see that thinning hair (or hairline) come back? Or is it gone forever?

Also, I have an appointment with a Dermatologist next week for the first time. I was curious if I should ask her similar questions, or if you guys have more specific ones I should ask.

Thanks a lot!

MPB. Do you have any family history of that? Stress could possibly accelerate the process but that hasn't been proven yet

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post
    MPB. Do you have any family history of that? Stress could possibly accelerate the process but that hasn't been proven yet

On my father's side there's definitely hair loss (Dad is NW7 or so, uncles tend be around NW3 or 4) whereas my mother's side there has almost none .(my grandfather was a NW0 or 1, uncles are all NW1 or so)

I believe that stress can pay a part in hair loss (and it can cause TE) but what I see in your photo is MPB and unfortunately that's very unlikely to improve.

Which doesn't mean you shouldn't take those lifestyle changes which can be beneficial in many ways to your health and well-being.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Medication for depression can cause hair loss. That could be a cause.

Anyway, the only way you'll stop hair loss is by taking the big three. Everything else is secondary.
    Thankfully I don't take any medication, haha. That one can definitely be ruled out.

I'd rather not start on permanent medication; but I guess there may be no other choice (other than shaving it over & over)

Stress plays a big role in both MPB and TE. I've consulted with two dermatologists in the last month, and both agreed that there are myriad triggers that can cause TE, including stress. And when stress is a trigger, the TE will persist until the stress is alleviated. But as someone said above, you're clearly experiencing a MPB pattern, and that's not going to recover through stress alleviation. If there's a TE component to your shedding (which can, of course, coexist with MPB shedding), that may recover. But TE doesn't manifest in a Norwood pattern.

If you're concerned about the MPB, you simply need to consider Propecia, minoxidil, and then Nizoral/Regenepure as an adjunct. It's really all we've got until you're ready for a transplant.