+ Reply to Thread

Default 20 and receding...few queries

Hello, I am 20 years old and my temples have receded now its becoming a more steeper "M" with thinning at just the hairline and nowhere else .With this happening to me I observed my dad's hair its a little past nw3v with less density on top and he is 50 now.
    I never ever had thought that anything like this will ever happen to me in my early twenties anyway I have accepted my bad luck and then consulted a doctor who prescribed me 1 mg finestride and 2% minoxidil. but I didn't started it because of all the sides effects. but now its getting worse. So I need to ask few things about the medication.

what will happen if I take propecia for few years and then stop it slowly?? Will my hair fall at once, I mean very fast or they will start falling with the same speed and pattern they are falling now?

And what about the long term side effects of propecia i hear they are horrible..have anyone experienced them and are there any permanent side effects?

I just want to fight for my hair till i am in my twenties after that doesn't matter. please advice
    and is hair transplant an option for me? with the fact its just receding slowly.

Please advice
    Thank you

Inactive

Yes, you have to take finasteride for as long as you want to keep your hair (some people find it stops working after around 5 years but I have seen a study where something like 80% of participants were at baseline or above after 10 years). Once you quit it, you'll basically lose as much hair as you were supposed to by that point in your life (from the anecdotes that I've heard anyway).

Some do suffer from persistent side effects after quitting finasteride, but they are in a the pretty small minority. Most find that any side effects incurred go away after quitting the medication. Ultimately, it's your decision whether or not it's something you want to risk.

Dang. Sounds like your hair is just like mine. However, my dad is an NW7, has been since last 20s.

That said, no one will be able to predict how you will react to fin, efficacy or sides. Consider tapering onto fin an stayin low dose until you get a feel for the two.

i know that but what i am asking is that if i stop taking propecia how the hair fall will happen will it be slow and progress in the same way and speed its going on now or the whole patch which was retained by porpecia will start balding altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by nak012 View Post
    i know that but what i am asking is that if i stop taking propecia how the hair fall will happen will it be slow and progress in the same way and speed its going on now or the whole patch which was retained by porpecia will start balding altogether?
    If you stop Propecia after being on long enough for it to have an effect, you'll lose the hair that it kept in place or regrew, and your balding will continue. That loss, from what I've read, usually occurs within 3-6 months of stopping the drug. You won't wake up a week later and it'll all be on your pillow from the night before. But if it's kept a decent amount of hair in place, you could see a sizable shed a few months later. At this point in time, Propecia is a lifetime commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    If you stop Propecia after being on long enough for it to have an effect, you'll lose the hair that it kept in place or regrew, and your balding will continue. That loss, from what I've read, usually occurs within 3-6 months of stopping the drug. You won't wake up a week later and it'll all be on your pillow from the night before. But if it's kept a decent amount of hair in place, you could see a sizable shed a few months later. At this point in time, Propecia is a lifetime commitment.
    But, is it safe to use Propecia for a lifetime? No side effects on that?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPetra View Post
    But, is it safe to use Propecia for a lifetime? No side effects on that?
    You may or may not have any side effects depending how your body takes it. When I started with propecia I had the low libido side effect but I was still capable of having intercourse. Sure it was a pain and embarrassing at times but I still manage. I had that side effect for about 4-5 months and after that nothing. Just stick threw it if your encounter it.

Quote Originally Posted by nak012 View Post
    ...is hair transplant an option for me?
    Without good quality pictures it is impossible to guess.