+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

An interesting thread from a couple of months ago:

Link

Would love to here any feedback about this. Feel free to post or shoot me a PM to discuss. Thanks a lot
    I have thinning hair from temples to crown, actually its been like this for about 15 years.

One day I got sick of looking at myself in the mirror, I didn't know the first thing about transplants until I began looking on the internet, and also knowing the results my brother had after ten years post-op.

My brother is five years younger than me, has a full head of hair now, has been on minox and fin since his procedure, no problems whatsoever.

I had the same procedure done 4.5 months ago by the same doctor, I'm in my fifties, my hair is coming in nicely, and I couldn't be happier.

Been using Minox and also taking 1 mg Propecia, my hair loss has stopped entirely and I have no side effects.

I have been taking pictures monthly, when I hit the one year mark I'll post my results.

The way I try to always think, nothing is impossible.

And I only Wish the best for Everyone here...!!

I'll echo what others have said: it's all about managing expectations. You have fairly advanced hair loss that appears to be pretty likely to head to a NW6-7. You could have the best donor density ever recorded, and you still couldn't come close to covering a NW6-7 balding pattern. If your density is sub-par, you could mitigate the problem a bit, but not extensively. If you do decide to go through with surgery, it's incredibly important to find a surgeon that is honest with you about what is and is not achievable. Should you consult with someone who promises a head of hair that will approximate what you had, look in another direction. And if a surgeon says that there's a problem with your donor hair, pay attention--you don't want to undergo surgery only to have the transplanted hair fall out or have a visible scar. Some patients are too thin in the donor region to undergo surgery, and if they went under the knife, they potentially couldn't disguise the scar through the sparse donor-area hair. That's the nightmare scenario.

Ask, think, search, read, study, as much as possible about your particular circumstance.

No one person is the same, furthermore, one doctor will not explain to you the same as another doctor, in-fact, possibly the complete opposite.

The one problem with having a transplant at a young age is losing the hair in back of the transported follicles, possibly looking worse than prior to a procedure.

Use the search function on this forum, write down the good and bad experiences, then ask those questions to several different surgeons.

Hopefully you will find satisfaction with your decisions.

Like others said, and we all know after being here a while, you won't have your original hairline back, but you have the possibility of achieving dramatic results in the care of a great surgeon.

Best to you....!

-Dale-

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJrS View Post

This is why I feel procedures with minimal scarring and donor regeneration are so important going forward. For example, people who get a strip procedure and are not happy with the results are shit out of luck. And there are much more unhappy results then these clinics and forums report. I'd say that the great majority of people who speak candidly seem to regret their decision to get a hair transplant. At least in Tobban's case, if he remains unhappy with his decision, he can continue to cut his hair short with no major scarring.
    Exactly. This is what Tobban wrote – besides about his “unrealistic expectations-, body dysmorphic disorder-, perfectionism-, buyer's remorse- etc” problems:
    “Blessing in disguise is that I have made an HST with minimal scarring and further regeneration in donor.”
    […]
    “I can be glad it was a HST after all so I can keep the hair short. Just hope the recipient area heals up a little better. Know those who get a lot more trouble than I have with strip scars and so. No one will be able to see that I have done something in the back of the neck anyway, and it feels good.”
    Try to imagine how he would feel now if he got, in addition to all his problems thereafter, a long strip scar from ear to ear and/or a moth-eaten donor with lots of white dots - as "being a perfectionist" …

Thanks for the replies guys.

Would anyone venture to say what a "conservative" expectation would be for someone like me should the possibility of a HT be put back on the table, in light of my soon-to-be NW6 hairline down the road?

Would NW3 be possible?

I realize there are numerous variables involved, but just wanting to see what people think in terms of " conservative expectations" for future consults. I've been reading through the pics and posts on here and I will say that some of the photos/work performed by some docs is far greater results than I would expect from a HT, so I believe my expectations by default are on the conservative side to begin with.

Perhaps the surgeon I previously consulted with believed I was shooting for an NW2 or something above and beyond, which I will be the first to say I'm not. I would even be content to maintain what I have for the future with small amounts added to the recessing peaks in front, not sure if that would be possible though.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

There are a variety of reasons you may not be a candidate.

Some people come in at a young age, want a youthful hairline which won't look good as they age or perhaps have a strong family likelyhood of winding up a NW7....they need to wait. I see this weekly and offer meds and followups yearly. I'd guess a fair amount just go elsewhere and get surgery, some successfully, some not-as I see a few back when they have a problem.

Others simply have very little donor hair and can't get a lot of coverage. They are not necessarily excluded...but its important to have frank and documented discussions about what they are likely to achieve and what they are not likely to achieve...so that they can make an informed decision. Its critical the doctor and patient figure this out. We just did a second case on a nice fellow who I initially told was not a good candidate. After lots of discussions, we did a first case and got 2200 grafts of fairly sparse hair and gave him thin, but still coverage of his frontal 1/4. He just got 1700 last week and I think his donor area is done. And he won't be a great show candidate BUT he's delighted. He says even the thin coverage has allowed him to take up competition dancing and meet lots of people that he was too shy to talk to before. BUT just as easily if he'd have thought he'd have had a great head of hair, he'd be dissappointed now.

Others have medical reasons not to proceed. We just had to turn down the perfect candidate due to an unusual immune deficiency problem.

Still others simply have unrealistic goals.

Finally there are patients who are not a match for a particular doctor.

Medicine should not be all about kneeling at the alter of the almightly dollar, but rather about doing the right thing as best as you can.

I agree with the recommendations above, it doesn't hurt you to have a second opinion from a top doctor. If 2 or 3 tell you you are not a candidate...well they may be right. Simply ask why.

Good luck.

Dr. Lindsey
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lindsey View Post

I agree with the recommendations above, it doesn't hurt you to have a second opinion from a top doctor.
    ... also from top doctors on other hair loss forums, I think:

Quote Originally Posted by 534623 View Post
    ... also from top doctors on other hair loss forums, I think:
    That man has a valid point.

about a year ago I also was given the bad news that I am not a candidate for transplant. The reasons being:
    • Did not respond to medical therapy.
    • Too young (23)
    • Norwood 6/7 pattern
    • Low Donor density

I decided to shave it off and forget about it. Yet once again I find myself in this forum! Sorry for hijacking your thread, but yes some of us are simply forsaken.