+ Reply to Thread

Default Minox as a preventative measure?

So i've been slowly tapering onto minox but I realized I should probably ask something while it's still early. Can I use minox as a preventative measure? My crown has thinned a bit, my barber even said. But even with flash on a camera it can be hard to tell it has thanks to my hair being curly. Should I be using minox on my crown in this case? I figured it would be a good idea since it would give me a bit of thickness and hopefully prevent it from thinning for at least another 5 or so years, or should i wait until it starts to thin more before starting?

Pretty much I'm asking if its a waste to use it when my crown really isn't bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post
    Can I use minox as a preventative measure?
    Some have had success using minox alone in treating mpb; these cases are rare.

Should I be using minox on my crown in this case?
    If you choose to go this route, yes, using minox on your crown would be using it as directed.

I figured it would be a good idea since it would give me a bit of thickness
    Maybe

and hopefully prevent it from thinning for at least another 5 or so years
    Likely no. Minox is a growth stimulant, and will likely not halt mpb progress.

or should i wait until it starts to thin more before starting?
    Up to you.

Some things to consider;
    Minox can cause a shed(s); this is an indication that the medication is working and should be 'ridden out'.
    Minox apparently works better in crown and mid-anterior area as opposed to temples.

Cheers.

I wouldn't advise using minoxidil for preventative use; I'm not sure what it's effects are in that case.

It would be best to get a diagnosis first. If it's MBP, then you've caught it early and you should keep going with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BGP View Post
    I wouldn't advise using minoxidil for preventative use; I'm not sure what it's effects are in that case.

It would be best to get a diagnosis first. If it's MBP, then you've caught it early and you should keep going with it.
    It's MPB for sure, I noticed last year, started propecia around July, no real sides maybe a slightly lower libido. But i've decided to taper off. I scared myself into a bout of psychological ED about a month ago and realized how shitty life would be without a function penis so i'd rather get off this drug even a 1% chance is too high, some guys get sides a year in, 5, 10 years and I don't wanna risk it.

But anyways since I'm giving up propecia I've decided fighting it with minox is better than nothing at all so I've been doing hairline hoping it might help even a bit and like I said my crown is a little thinner than normal but no one could notice. So I guess ill keep it up with the hairline and wait till the crown actually starts to go before using it there.

Pics just to show, as you can see the crown is barely thin, but just a little, the temple loss is a lot worse, though my hair is pulled forward and split so that it looks as bad as possible there, I can still hide it so that I have no visible loss at all(thank you curly hair)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg

Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	17650   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0992.jpg

Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	17651  

Minox doesn't prevent jack... it simply grows hair so it looks like it does something but you're still losing hair although from a much higher baseline

As others have said Minoxidil is a growth stimulant bringing blood circulation back to constricted and shrunken capillaries feeding the hair follicles to restore thickness and the healthy appearance of hair.
    However, it is ONLY a stimulant.. not something that attacks the underlying cause which is DHT along with two types of 5AR reductase enzyme that bind the DHT to the hair follicle receptor and plug up the hair follicle with DHT causing shrinkage of the hair itself and then this is followed by sebum that plugs up the follicle sealing it off effectively making it dormant and rendering a slick oily smooth bald spot that will spread in the horseshoe pattern.
    Those are changes occurring internally that can be halted and possibly reversed but must be done with effective armament in terms of medications taken internally and ingested on a routine basis to keep the status quo. As someone said earlier using minoxidil by itself is like bringing pistols against cannons it is a losing battle on its own.

i don't think minox is as affictive as propecia when it comes to fighting MPB but it's much safer to use. some forum members had great success using minox alone, so if you are not planning to use propecia, i believe using minox would be better than nothing, you might wanna add nizoral to it once or twice aweek since it's also safe to use and some studies show that it's "kinda" affective to prevent hairloss.