+ Reply to Thread

Default Reflex Androgenicity (Bad reaction to finasteride)

After some research, I have learned that many people who do not respond to finasteride may be suffering from androgenicity. Apparently this condition occurs when the body produces more testosterone in response to the finasterid lowering DHT levels. It also causes the DHT receptors to become mores sensitive to the little DHT that is still present. Symptoms it seems include excessively oily scalp, acne, extreme shedding, increased libido, itching/burning scalp, etc.

My question for anyone with experience, knowlege, or thoughts on th matter is this. After four months of using 1/4 pill of 5 mg finasteride, my hairloss stopped completely, no itching or shedding, it just stopped. Four months after that, eight months total, my hair started shedding like crazy and the itching has returned with a vengeance. Anyways its been over a month since the shedding resumed and I'm dropping at least 300-400 hairs a day, the return of itching leads me to believe it may be androgenicity instead of the common propecia shed. I have none of the other symptoms (acne, excessive oil, etc.).
    Should I quit the fin, is this adrogenicity. Someone please give some good solid advice, I would really appreciate it.

It would sound like based on your description you have given here that that is the case because it has nearly all the symptoms associated with reflex androgenicity.

The bad news is there is no way to shut that off as far as I know. Upping your dosage might simply increase the androgenicity effects or they may not but even still you might run into increased side effects if you up the dosage. Your own hormones are counterattacking the finasteride and upticking the amount of DHT and 5AR inhibitor enzyme that bind to the hair receptors in your hair follicles. In other would you are in a shooting war with guns and your body is pulling out cannons to to take down what you are doing and any advances you are making.
    Stay strong bro and keep up the fight if you give up the finasteride and your regimen then all your strides will go away and the hair you have gained will fall out.
    I would talk to a dermatologist and see what his input is and please keep us informed.

apart from symptoms what test confirm that you have reflex andro? DHEA-SO? Free T and Total T?

Quote Originally Posted by mpbsucks View Post
    After some research, I have learned that many people who do not respond to finasteride may be suffering from androgenicity. Apparently this condition occurs when the body produces more testosterone in response to the finasterid lowering DHT levels. It also causes the DHT receptors to become mores sensitive to the little DHT that is still present. Symptoms it seems include excessively oily scalp, acne, extreme shedding, increased libido, itching/burning scalp, etc.

My question for anyone with experience, knowlege, or thoughts on th matter is this. After four months of using 1/4 pill of 5 mg finasteride, my hairloss stopped completely, no itching or shedding, it just stopped. Four months after that, eight months total, my hair started shedding like crazy and the itching has returned with a vengeance. Anyways its been over a month since the shedding resumed and I'm dropping at least 300-400 hairs a day, the return of itching leads me to believe it may be androgenicity instead of the common propecia shed. I have none of the other symptoms (acne, excessive oil, etc.).
    Should I quit the fin, is this adrogenicity. Someone please give some good solid advice, I would really appreciate it.

IMO
    90% of fin users suffer from this, the 10% who dont are either stuck in propeciahelp OR have gained subtantial regrowth from fin that they no longer need to worry about thier hair loss and in fact are incorrectly attributing "hair maintenace" to the drug, when in fact its the substantial regrowth that has masked thier mpb!

fin can be used to reverse MPB, if a set protocol is followed that tricks the body. The reason why regrowth drops off is partly due to the gerneric dose that merck hand out and reflex hyperandogenicty.

Anything's possible.

It's a fact that prolonged DHT suppression will eventually cause upregulation of the DHT and other androgen receptors in most. It's just the way signalling cascades tend to work in order to restore homeostasis.

It's pretty much the reason why finasteride loses it's effectiveness over time for most. Still think there's some studies out there though showing some people still above baseline (hair count) after 10 years.