Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigThinker
    • Oct 2012

Zinc Pyrithione shampoo

I searched the forums and only found a few in stances where zinc pyrithione was even mentioned, and couldn't find an instance of people talking about it as a treatment regime. If I overlooked an existing thread, big or small, forgive me.

I started using a scalp therapy shampoo (Brand: Clear, 2-in-1, active ingredient: pyrithione zinc (1%), also has a blend of mind, ginseng, green tea mixed in.) on my off-days from 2% keto since the keto was causing me discomfort in the forms of dry, itchy scalp and dandruff. I did not have itchy scalp or dandruff prior to keto; my head was actually oily.

Anyways, recently my hair loss has curbed substantially, and my head definitely feels cool and comfortable.

Been on keto for about 1 mo., on this timeline:
    Started 2/week 2% keto shampoo for ~2 weeks.
    Went down to 1/week and added scalp therapy off days ~2 weeks.

Here's a blog that posted quite extensively about the topic. I'm only using a blog as a reference because it has consolidated about every relevant study on the topic:
    Zinc pyrithione is found in some anti-dandruff shampoos (Photo by Andy Houghton ) I've written a couple of posts on the hair growth promotin...

Discussion open.
  • Dan26
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by BigThinker
    I searched the forums and only found a few in stances where zinc pyrithione was even mentioned, and couldn't find an instance of people talking about it as a treatment regime. If I overlooked an existing thread, big or small, forgive me.

I started using a scalp therapy shampoo (Brand: Clear, 2-in-1, active ingredient: pyrithione zinc (1&#37, also has a blend of mind, ginseng, green tea mixed in.) on my off-days from 2% keto since the keto was causing me discomfort in the forms of dry, itchy scalp and dandruff. I did not have itchy scalp or dandruff prior to keto; my head was actually oily.

Anyways, recently my hair loss has curbed substantially, and my head definitely feels cool and comfortable.

Been on keto for about 1 mo., on this timeline:
    Started 2/week 2% keto shampoo for ~2 weeks.
    Went down to 1/week and added scalp therapy off days ~2 weeks.

Here's a blog that posted quite extensively about the topic. I'm only using a blog as a reference because it has consolidated about every relevant study on the topic:
    Zinc pyrithione is found in some anti-dandruff shampoos (Photo by Andy Houghton ) I've written a couple of posts on the hair growth promotin...

Discussion open.
    I have a very itchy and inflamed scalp (always have), and will be putting adenosine in my shampoo and conditoner soon (5% or 10% not sure yet). I'll let ya know how that goes lol. I use Nizoral once a week but it really drys out my scalp.

btw i beleive it is important to maintain a certain balance between zinc and copper on the scalp. dont know the specifics but i imagine over doing either one (pyrithion zinc or copper peptides) could be detrimental

Comment

• BigThinker
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Dan26
      I have a very itchy and inflamed scalp (always have), and will be putting adenosine in my shampoo and conditoner soon (5% or 10% not sure yet). I'll let ya know how that goes lol. I use Nizoral once a week but it really drys out my scalp.

btw i beleive it is important to maintain a certain balance between zinc and copper on the scalp. dont know the specifics but i imagine over doing either one (pyrithion zinc or copper peptides) could be detrimental
      Hm, interesting. Even when I was shedding a lot, I never did have itchy scalp from what I can remember. It was after using keto that my scalp really started bothering me, and this new shampoo has been awesome.

I don't know too much about adenosine, and havn't heard very much about a zing-to-copper balance either. I have a lot more research to do on this topic.

Comment

Working...