+ Reply to Thread

Default My hairline has been about the same for years, should I treat it? [Pic]

Hey guys,

I posted a thread here a month or so ago, but realized I took pictures much too soon (that was about a week after having started growing hair again following
    a clean shave). I've let it grow for about a month and a half now, and am around 1/2" of length of hair on average.

The thing is that my hairline has kind of been the same since late high school (I'm 22 now), with a bit of noticeable thinning right at the very front (a little patch of diffuse thinning about the size of a dime, and some minor diffuse thinning around it). Honestly, it could have been that way for a long time, I have no idea. I noticed the 'dime' one years ago, but my hair was so long up until a few months ago that I didn't pay attention to it.

I've included a new image with the post. I'm still deciding whether I'm a NW2 or a NW3, maybe 2.5? I have an appointment with a Dermatologist in a few weeks, so maybe they can help; but I was curious what you guys think, and if you have any advice for how to move forward. I'm thinking about growing my hair really long again and getting the old style back, but if you guys think it'll move further back maybe I should just keep shaving my head.

Here is the updated picture!

(Sorry I don't have a picture from 4 years ago, I never tied my hair up or anything since I always had the 'front-swoop' [I know, I know])

Thanks!

Edit: Also! I've been using Nizoral 1% twice a week for the past month just to try and keep things thick, (I hear it has no negative side-effects, so why not?) but have not yet touched Minox or Propecia. I really don't want side-effects, and am not really interested in doing it every day for the rest of my life haha.

Also, if it matters, I have clinical depression; but take no meds at all. It has been an extremely stressful year =(

A couple thoughts:

1. The Nizoral is going to have really limited efficacy without the adjunct treatments of finasteride or minoxidil. I'm not sure I'd even bother using it on its own, but others may differ.

2. Try Regenepure shampoo instead of Nizoral. Same amount of the active ingredient (keto 1%), but no sodium laurel sulfate, which is a harsh lather agent that's not good for MPB-inclined hair. I switched, and I love Regenepure.

3. If you have clinical depression, be very careful about finasteride, as it can exacerbate depression. It's not an absolute barrier, but something to be vigilant in watching. If your depressive symptoms worsen on the drug, probably a sign to cycle off.

4. Really, you should try minoxidil. There's the shedding side effect, but it's far from guaranteed, and you'll recover. It's not a pain to apply at all--I have long hair, and even that is manageable.

Keep us posted.