+ Reply to Thread

Default am i balding from the crown?

Hello everyone!

I am currently 31 years old and was wondering if I am balding from the crown?

I have always had the big cow lick and thin area on the top of my head as seen from the photo and I have been made fun of it since probably high school. I never thought of much of as I was told you that you only start balding from the front. I was naive.

It doesnt look like my cow lick or top of my head is any different than 10 yrs ago, but I may just be in denial. My gf of 11 years doesnt think it has changed much either.

I dont have any history of family baldness on either side of my family.

I am just freaking out because one of my professors is adamant that I am balding. I have also noticed that I lose anywhere from 10-30 hair in the shower. I never noticed it before so I am not sure if its normal.

I have made an appointment with a physician to see what he has to say.

Any input would greatly be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by tdo View Post
    Hello everyone!

I am currently 31 years old and was wondering if I am balding from the crown?

I have always had the big cow lick and thin area on the top of my head as seen from the photo and I have been made fun of it since probably high school. I never thought of much of as I was told you that you only start balding from the front. I was naive.

It doesnt look like my cow lick or top of my head is any different than 10 yrs ago, but I may just be in denial. My gf of 11 years doesnt think it has changed much either.

I dont have any history of family baldness on either side of my family.

I am just freaking out because one of my professors is adamant that I am balding. I have also noticed that I lose anywhere from 10-30 hair in the shower. I never noticed it before so I am not sure if its normal.

I have made an appointment with a physician to see what he has to say.

Any input would greatly be appreciated!
    Hard to say. Looks just like a cowlick to me, personally. I find it a little bizarre your professor is commenting on your hair. I attend grad school at a major research university, and it would be considered rather unprofessional (at least here in the MidWest). Also, I've noticed that asians (looks like your asian, correct me if I'm wrong) have hair that stands up at the cowlick at that length and gives the effect of thinning. I have many asian class mates, so, as I began to get sensitive to looking at others' hair, I noticed that.

In summary, your obviously intelligent enough to see a physician, so I would just flush it from your mind and do your thing.

Best regards and welcome to the board.

Thanks for the reply!

I am Asian . I have very fine hair and they pretty much stick up everywhere.

Yup I was kind of surprised as my professor yelled it out loud in front of the whole class. I am a pretty playful guy so maybe he thought it was funny. I didnt really mind though as I have heard before.

I guess what is really freaking me out is that I started noticing how much hair I lose in the shower (10-30) after my professor's comment.

I try my best not to think about it as my appointment isnt for another month. In the mean time, I got some Nizoral shampoo...

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by tdo View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

I am Asian . I have very fine hair and they pretty much stick up everywhere.

Yup I was kind of surprised as my professor yelled it out loud in front of the whole class. I am a pretty playful guy so maybe he thought it was funny. I didnt really mind though as I have heard before.

I guess what is really freaking me out is that I started noticing how much hair I lose in the shower (10-30) after my professor's comment.

I try my best not to think about it as my appointment isnt for another month. In the mean time, I got some Nizoral shampoo...

Thanks again!
    My pleasure. This forum has been very kind to me as well. The losing hair in the shower is what red-flagged me too. Then I started over-analyzing my hair in the mirror when it was wet and under bright light. It really just bummed me out and probably was more harm than help. It's been ~2-3 months since I first noticed it, and it's gotten better. I'm also on keto shampoo, but am hesitant to give it any credit (only been 1 month).

A lot of members recommend other shampoos besides Nizoral (because Nizoral has sulfates), but others say it doesn't matter.

You're best off trying what you've already bought. I strongly recommend a scalp moisturizing, volumizing shampoo for your non-Nizoral days. I was afraid to shampoo my hair any more than keto shampoo when I started, because the keto was already making my hair feel so thin and flat (when it's naturally thick, dark, Spanish hair).

I manned up and shampooed with good stuff on the off days, and my hair looks so good, I genuinely feel happy about it. Use the Nizoral before bed, then use good shampoo in the morning the next day. If you use keto in the morning, your hair will feel/look like sh*t all day.

Hope that helps.

ur not balding. relax

You are definatley not balding and your hair looks good.

Yeah, you look fine bro

Quick update -

I went to see an ISHRS today and he performed a miniaturization test at various spots on my head and confirmed that I am not balding.

I wanted to thank you everyone here for the help. Reading through the forum has helped educate me a lot on the subject. I wish everyone here the best!

T