+ Reply to Thread

Default Question About Hairline Design - Symmetrical About A Sagittal Plane?

Hello,

I have a question about hairline design in hair transplantation. I understand that to create a natural-looking hairline that mimics nature, the hairline has to be very irregular. Not only does an irregular hairline design look natural, but it also helps to prevent the eyes of others from being drawn to it. These 2 facts help make high-quality hair transplants undetectable -- what we all want!

Given this, should the design of the hairline be symmetrical about sagittal plane that is drawn through the head/body? Any sort of symmetry is inconsistent with irregularity, as mentioned above, but I understand the 2 issues may not be related to one another. The reason I ask is this: I remember reading a scientific study that had been completed on what constitutes attractiveness in men. One important discovery was that attractiveness is heavily tied to symmetry of the face about a sagittal plane. The study used actor Denzel Washington as an example of a very attractive male who was very symmetrical about a sagittal plane. The study also used country singer Lyle Lovett (some dude that was married to Julia Roberts in the 90s) as an example of an unattractive male that is very asymmetrical about a sagittal plane. (No offense, Lyle, I'm sure you're a cool guy).

I am wondering if this concept of symmetry about a sagittal plane is also used in hairline design during hair transplantation? And to what extent?

TeeJay

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Hairline design should always take into account both the sagittal and coronal planes. The doctor must use as many factors and angles to create a hairline that is natural and undetectable. Some degree of symmetry is necessary to accomplish this type of hairline. The term I use to explain the method to the madness is a regular irregularity. This is really a combination of symmetry and asymmetry. Just enough symmetry to maintain a natural attractiveness and not draw any unwanted attention to the transplanted area. Also, a proper amount of asymmetry to make things appear random and unnoticeable.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Dr. Charles:

Thanks for your time and generosity in answering my question! I like the "Regular Irregularity" concept --- it speaks to the tenacity that the awesome doctors on this forum have in performing their hair transplants!

All the best, TeeJay