+ Reply to Thread

Default Measuring DHT levels to minimize chance of side effects?

Hi guys,

It's possible to get blood tests that reveal your levels of DHT.

Apparently a healthy ratio of testosterone to DHT is about 10:1. See here: http://www.androbalance.co.uk/malehormones-dht.htm

I'm guessing that those of us with MPB and thus higher levels of DHT, obviously have a different ratio... say, 10:4.

Taking finasteride obviously lowers DHT levels.

Do you think it's conceivable that if you take finasteride but monitor your DHT levels to ensure it stays in a healthy ratio, that the chances of side effects would be reduced?

Perhaps the 1mg dose or whatever it is, is a bit of a generic solution and some people need more while some need less.

If you noticed your DHT levels getting too low (i.e. the ratio becoming less than 10:1) then you could lower your dosage of fin until the ratio is corrected?

Does this seem conceivable or is it too obvious?

In my opinion, to prescribe the same dosage of anything to everyone is wrong. We're different sizes with different hormonal balances so while 1mg might be enough for 1 person, it's completely possible that it could be too high a dose for someone else and cause problems.

Thoughts?

First off, higher levels of DHT do not cause balding. Genetic predisposition to going bald in the presence of DHT causes it. Now if you have higher than normal DHT then yes it will speed things up. But if that gene is there, you are going to go bald no matter what.

Also, the dose response is basically the same from .05-5mg. So adjusting the dose isn't going to do anything. What you're suggesting isn't really doable, especially as the total amount of the drug in your system accumulates over time. You would be talking measuring doses in the hundredths of milligrams or possibly thousandths.

Also, how do you intend to monitor your DHT levels anyway? You can't get a blood test done every day.

I'm not sure why you're worried about the ratio of T : DHT unless you are concerned with extra estradiol being produced from the excess T, which is more of an issue, as is the DHT:Estradiol ratio. But suppressing estradiol will require either high doses of zinc or an aromatase inhibitor.

Hey man,

As I say, I was just throwing the idea out there. I don't know how realistic it is, but it kind of made sense. Did you read the article at the link I posted?

It kind of alluded to what I was saying.

I looked at it. I just don't see how you are going to control the T to DHT ratio to that degree. Or why it matters?

Well seeing as finasteride simply lowers DHT levels and can reverse hair loss, surely it's the higher DHT level causing hair loss in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by mathmoose View Post
    Well seeing as finasteride simply lowers DHT levels and can reverse hair loss, surely it's the higher DHT level causing hair loss in the first place?
    No, it is the androgen sensitivity of the hair determined genetically. If you don't have the right genes you can't develop AGA.

It makes sense, but in reality there is no way to know beforehand if you will experience sides. The best thing to do is get a full panel blood test and hormones before going on fin, and if side's to come up you can get tested again and compare to the baseline. It would also make sense to exercise caution if your hormone levels are not in the normal range to begin with. Free T is important make sure you get that checked not just total T.

Yes there's a way to get your DHT tested, I got my DHT, T and E all tested before getting on Propecia. Now I don't know a lot but i'll just tell you my experience, I had slightly higher than normal E, low T and my DHT was near the max healthy levels. Taking Propecia gave me no sides at all, well maybe a lower libido, still don't know if that was in my head though. I've decided to get off Propecia but not due to sides, I just realized the insanity of ingesting a drug that can possibly harm my sex life for hair. I'm gonna try minox and hope for the best. Though I doubt it since I went from a NW1 to a NW2.5 in like a year from 20-21.

Just thought id share my experience with DHT levels.