+ Reply to Thread

Default Difference between 2% and 5% minox?

Whenever I read about people using Minoxodil it's always 5%. I just went to the shoppers Drug Mart(in Canada) and grabbed the only box they had, which was 2%. What difference does this make? I was planning on using it only at night time on the hairline and vertex since I'm getting off propecia and still want to try my best to keep my hair.

first things first, minox is not proven to work for the vertex/hairline, but rather in the crown area (the top of your head). second, the difference between 2 and 5% (while i'm no chemist) is probably the concentration of minoxidil and/or the ratio of minoxidil to other ingredients. if you are hell bent on using it on your vertex i would advise you too taper on to it, by which i mean, using it once every couple of days for the first week and then every other day the following week until you build up to daily use--this should help minimize shedding. if you can get a hold of rogaine foam i would eventually use that as it does not use propylene glychol which dries the scalp and causes itching in some--again though, the foam, too, is not proven to wok on the vertex. however, in some it does seem to keep what they have in the hairline area. maybe you are one of the lucky ones.

I'm getting quite sick of people saying "minox is not proven to work for the vertex/hairline blablabla". Minox grows hair all over the friggin' body (the proof of that is all over the internet), the only reason they can't say it on the package is because they only did their tests on the crown. But you already knew that, didn't you philippe? Yet you still insist on pulling the "minox is not proven to work on..." card.

Quote Originally Posted by ardana View Post
    I'm getting quite sick of people saying "minox is not proven to work for the vertex/hairline blablabla". Minox grows hair all over the friggin' body (the proof of that is all over the internet), the only reason they can't say it on the package is because they only did their tests on the crown. But you already knew that, didn't you philippe? Yet you still insist on pulling the "minox is not proven to work on..." card.
    whoa, settle down. why do you assume i don't have anything but the best intentions with my advice. i am trying to save cr779 money and frustration by using minox as a means to fight hairloss at the hairline. tell me ardana, did i suggest any alternative such as finasteride? no, i even went so far as to suggest rogaine foam as it's less harsh on the scalp. check your facts and don't throw out negativity for the sake of it. i, as just about everyone else on this forum, suffers from hairloss and i have tried everything under the sun including minox on the vertex with poor results. cheer up.

Thanks to both of you. I'm aware its not proven to work on the hairline, but I've decided to get off Propecia and id rather do something over nothing. I didn't have sides on Propecia, maybe a lowered libido, but one day i just had a epiphany that it was absolutely insane that I was on a drug that could even remotely harm my sex drive for hair. It hit me so hard and so clear I even scared myself into having psychological ED for about a week. That week made me realize how empty my life would be without a functioning member. I read stories of people who got sides 1 year, 2 years even 10 years in so I decided that I should get off now and learn to combat my hair loss as best I can while learning to deal with it mentally.

All in all I don't really need it terribly for the crown but it is starting to thin a little so i figure i should be proactive and any chance at the hairline is better than none, though I am afraid of shedding and not regaining the ground. But I figure if not I'll just end up bald there soon or later anyways.

I just wanted to see if the 2% was too low to effectively do anything or if it would just cause shedding with no real gain. I should look into the foam though as dry skin has been an issue with me, I have terrible dandruff and nothing fixes it. Though id still only use it once at nights, I have curly hair and any product or gel makes my curls stick together and look all fake and not fluffy so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by philippe View Post
    first things first, minox is not proven to work for the vertex/hairline, but rather in the crown area (the top of your head).
    This statement is not true. The vertex IS is the crown. Minoxidil IS proven to work on the vertex/crown. Minoxidil does not work in the hair line for most males. This limitation is exclusive to males. For females, Minoxidil works everywhere on the scalp.

If I remember correctly, you need a prescription to get 5% Minoxidil in Canada. 5% Minoxidil is stronger and more effective than 2% Minoxidil. If you only intend to use it once a day, you need to get 5% Minoxidil. Talk to your doctor.

Thanks Tracy, I was wondering why there wasn't any 5%. I'll get a prescription from my doctor then. Would it be a good idea to taper on with 2%? I've already bought it and don't really want to waste it. Like do 2% every couple days, work up to every night then switch to 5% every night?

Quote Originally Posted by Cr779 View Post
    Would it be a good idea to taper on with 2%?
    It is a very good idea to start tapering up with 2%.

If you decide to stop using this medicine, taper off of it slowly as well.