+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why Gho's HST matters

Let me preface this by saying that I definitely understand the complaints some people have. For example, I don't agree with HASCI's overly cautious approach. I'm still not convinced with their artistic abilities, although that may change depending on future results. These are important issues for me and have prevented me from getting an HST procedure at this point. I also disagree with how guarded Dr. Gho is with his procedure and his unwillingness to work with established hair transplant doctors to make HST a more mainstream option.

Nonetheless, I still feel that it's very important to look at the bigger picture. It's very possible that HST does indeed work as is described (i.e., 80+% donor regeneration, 90+% recipient yield). I say this based on Iron_Man's analysis of gc83uk, recent Gho patients who all appear to have pristine donors after the procedure, peer-reviewed scientific papers, court victories, and the fact that nobody, whether that's colleagues, coworkers, or patients, has exposed the procedure yet.

This is potentially a huge deal in an industry which moves at a snail's pace. For many people who want to do something about their hairloss now and not wait until the next big breakthrough, and who knows when that could be, this is very important. Suddenly, even younger patients can be viable candidates for hair transplant surgeries. For example, someone can get a 3k FUE procedure for their hairline from a doc who's artistic abilities they like, and then fill in the rest of the less cosmetically important areas with HST. Others who are more patient and prefer the option to buzz can go entirely with HST procedures. If we look even further down the line, imagine what doctors like Feriduni, Lorenzo, Bisanga, Cole could do with a procedure like HST if it became mainstream. It opens up a lot of possibilities that didn't exist before and minimizes many of the risks traditionally associated with hair transplants.

Of course, all this depends on how well the procedure works which is why I think there should be more focus on the procedure itself and in particular, its limitations. An important question I have is 'How many times can the same follicle be harvested and do these hairs maintain the same characteristics (diameter, texture) as before?'. One way or the other, I feel we need to get to the bottom of these issues so that we can all discuss the procedure on an even ground.

If we can answer these questions, and with the help of future patients (Iron_Man, gc83uk, tobban), I believe we eventually will be able to, it will be a huge development. First we will get a realistic view of the procedure. If there are major limitations/issues, prospective patients will have that understanding. If however it turns out to work as well as some believe, hairloss sufferers will have a new, more effective option and we can then work on making this a more mainstream option.

I'm sure there are some who may prefer for us to ignore the procedure, but I think that would a big disservice to anyone who has or is considering a hair transplant. Until we get answers on the procedure, I think we should continue to focus on it. Don't lose track of the bigger picture.

tl;dr

An important question I have is 'How many times can the same follicle be harvested and do these hairs maintain the same characteristics (diameter, texture) as before?'

Question to people who had consulation with Gho, Did any of you actually ask him the question above?
    That would be the first question I would ask,

btw thats wht Kobren interview is supposed to cover but Spence prefer not to release it

Quote Originally Posted by didi View Post
    An important question I have is 'How many times can the same follicle be harvested and do these hairs maintain the same characteristics (diameter, texture) as before?'

Question to people who had consulation with Gho, Did any of you actually ask him the question above?
    That would be the first question I would ask,
    If you read the paper, "Donor hair follicle preservation by partial follicular unit extraction", and look at Tables III and V, the grafts appear to have the same diameter.

However, two respected forum posters, Skywalker and Maradona, both claim that they were told during consultations that regenerated hair follicles often grow back twisted which makes them harder to use in subsequent procedures.

It's definitely a very important aspect to clarify so that people understand exactly how "expanded" is the donor supply with HST.

btw thats wht Kobren interview is supposed to cover but Spence prefer not to release it
    That's why I'm interested in the interview. I'm also hoping to hear the answers to some of these questions. Hopefully they post it this week like Winston indicated.

What about tansplanted hair, can it be used as donor if your back n sides get depleted.

If answer is yes then its still not unlimited supply but it would be enough to cover everyone, even steve ballmer

What about tansplanted hair, can it be used as donor if your back n sides get depleted.

If answer is yes then its still not unlimited supply but it would be enough to cover everyone, even steve ballmer
    That's a good point. If there is no degradation in the hair follicles and you could re-harvest them indefinitely, then you could theoretically have an unlimited donor supply, even if only 80% regenerates. This would be accomplished by using the transplanted hairs as an additional donor supply, like you mentioned.

Based on what other forum posters said after consultations though, it seems that it's harder to use the hair follicles after regeneration which puts a limit on how many times the hair can be transplanted and used. So the question then would be, how many times can the same follicle be extracted and transplanted in general? The answer to that question is extremely important. Right now, I don't think we have a clear understanding of exactly how expanded the donor supply truly is with HST.

However, two respected forum posters, Skywalker and Maradona, both claim that they were told during consultations that regenerated hair follicles often grow back twisted which makes them harder to use in subsequent procedures.

In that case you can only use FU once as regenerated one is twisted and unusable.
    What about hairs that grow from 'twisted regenerated' follicles, are they normal diameter, quality as surrounding hair?

we need to find out if transplanted follicle grows 'twisted' or not and can it be used as donor?

In that case you can only use FU once as regenerated one is twisted and unusable.
    What about hairs that grow from 'twisted regenerated' follicles, are they normal diameter, quality as surrounding hair?

we need to find out if transplanted follicle grows 'twisted' or not and can it be used as donor?
    I really don't know the answer to these questions. If you look at gc83uk's pictures, the regenerated hairs look the same to me as the rest of the donor hairs so it's really hard for me to piece everything together. Still a lot of unanswered questions surrounding the procedure.

I'll probably email HASCI about these issues sometime in the future. Hopefully Spencer's interview with Gho will touch on these topics.

Do that and hopefully they will answer, in the past i hve sent em a few emails but they answer only half of my questions, they must be getting lot of inquaries.
    Be straight to the point with your questions, dont give them reason to dodge important bits

I doubt Spences interview will go into these things i.e transplanted hair used as donor, transplanted FU grow 'twisted' or not

I tried to find pictures of HASCI and their claims, but couldn't find them in the sub-forum. Could you by any chance link it to this thread, please?

Quote Originally Posted by JJacobs152 View Post
    I tried to find pictures of HASCI and their claims, but couldn't find them in the sub-forum. Could you by any chance link it to this thread, please?
    There's a lot of interesting information that gets posted if you have the patience to search through the forums.

I'm not sure exactly which pictures you're referring to but the most compelling piece of evidence of donor regeneration is the analysis of gc83uk's HST procedure. Unfortunately I can't link the pictures anymore, but if you search "gc83uk – Collection of independent HM photos for (scientific) evaluations" on google, you will find them. Very comprehensive and difficult to refute. It's also worth noting that gc83uk has scarring alopecia and a limited donor supply compared to the average patient.

Earlier in this thread I posted Gho's peer-reviewed scientific paper, Donor hair follicle preservation by partial follicular unit extraction which has some pictures and details also.