+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Diffuser thinner - Maintaining or Declining? Opinions on photos please.

Hey Guys,

I'd be grateful for some advice on my progress and what I might do next. I suffer from diffuse hair loss in a classic MPB style. No family history of hairloss whatsoever! (unfair right?!)

Tons of stress - most recently lost job and broke up with gf in last two months. Had low iron earlier this year - I take supplements on doctors orders.

I've been on propecia for almost eight months (1mg every two days). I've also been on rogaine for a year.

Used to have really itchy flaky scalp but since I started having some apple cider vinegar on a daily basis that has fortunately gone away.

Like most diffuse thinners I have good periods and bad periods. I get occassional and very subtle sheds. Some people say I have great hair, other people spot the fact that my hair is actually very thin.

On the basis of my photos (and apologies I know they haven't been taken in a consistent manner!) I think I'm either just about maintaining what I've got or I'm slowly losing more hair and becoming more diffuse.

What do you guys think from looking at the attached photos from 15 months? Should I stick with propecia and rogaine? Can I expect better results with propecia even though I've been on for 8 months.

Or should I just give up now?

P.S. I could put up photos of my hairline but I can say that it hasn't really changed. Its maintaining.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	august 2011.jpg

Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	17435   Click image for larger version

Name:	november 2011.jpg

Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	17437   Click image for larger version

Name:	feb 2012.jpg

Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	17438   Click image for larger version

Name:	march 2012.jpg

Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	17439   Click image for larger version

Name:	May 2012.jpg

Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	17440   Click image for larger version

Name:	nov 2012.jpg

Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	17441  

Quote Originally Posted by CluelessDiffuse View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'd be grateful for some advice on my progress and what I might do next. I suffer from diffuse hair loss in a classic MPB style. No family history of hairloss whatsoever! (unfair right?!)

Tons of stress - most recently lost job and broke up with gf in last two months. Had low iron earlier this year - I take supplements on doctors orders.

I've been on propecia for almost eight months (1mg every two days). I've also been on rogaine for a year.

Used to have really itchy flaky scalp but since I started having some apple cider vinegar on a daily basis that has fortunately gone away.

Like most diffuse thinners I have good periods and bad periods. I get occassional and very subtle sheds. Some people say I have great hair, other people spot the fact that my hair is actually very thin.

On the basis of my photos (and apologies I know they haven't been taken in a consistent manner!) I think I'm either just about maintaining what I've got or I'm slowly losing more hair and becoming more diffuse.

What do you guys think from looking at the attached photos from 15 months? Should I stick with propecia and rogaine? Can I expect better results with propecia even though I've been on for 8 months.

Or should I just give up now?

P.S. I could put up photos of my hairline but I can say that it hasn't really changed. Its maintaining.
    If you don't have any sides from propecia, then of-course you should stay on the drug for maybe another year to see how things develop.

Default thanks tiger

Any views on the photos? Would appreciate it.

I don't think you're a diffuse thinner. It seems like the way you part your hair in the midline is giving that illusion.

Default thanks JJacobs

I don't really part it, just brush it back. But yeah thinning down the parting anyway. See any difference in the photos or do they look the same?

Quote Originally Posted by JJacobs152 View Post
    I don't think you're a diffuse thinner. It seems like the way you part your hair in the midline is giving that illusion.
    However, if he's like me, his thinning has made the scalp proximal to the part more obvious and "wider". For better or worse, mine is only at the very front of my hair (close to the hairline), and has remained close to the same on the top and crown of my head.

Parting definitely does make it more obvious. I work with a guy who has thinned out a lot, and he parts his hair down the middle and, by no means am i being asshole, I am literally astonished that he wouldn't rather have a buzzed/shaved head as opposed to having a half-inch wide part.

To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by CluelessDiffuse View Post
    I don't really part it, just brush it back. But yeah thinning down the parting anyway. See any difference in the photos or do they look the same?
    I'm still not convinced it's diffuse thinning, because the hair loss is only restricted to that area. If you click on my profile name you'll see a picture of my scalp where it has thinned evenly across the scalp - indicative of diffuse thinning. Yours is restricted to the area of parting - maybe traction alopecia?

Quote Originally Posted by JJacobs152 View Post
    I'm still not convinced it's diffuse thinning, because the hair loss is only restricted to that area. If you click on my profile name you'll see a picture of my scalp where it has thinned evenly across the scalp - indicative of diffuse thinning. Yours is restricted to the area of parting - maybe traction alopecia?
    Well I don't wear hats or anything. I figure it's kinda like FPB . Also when I get out of the bath it can look equally thin all over the top... but of course hair is good at giving different illusions.

It is very confusing though... I know there are no guarantees in life, but am literally only person in extended family with hair loss. Bah

I replied to your PM.

hope you done mind me jumping onto your thread. Attached, I tried to get a picture of my parted hair (my laptop cam has EXTREMELY low resolution) But you should still be able to see how at my new mature hair line , the part all of a sudden gets MUCH wider.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot.jpg

Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	17467