+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

We already know how the follicles differ in their sensitivity to DHT, but how can we discover why the difference exists in the first place? It's all speculation and I don't think we'll ever really know for sure.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

I'm 60 and had hair transplant surgery during the early days at a large clinic in Beverly Hills California (1979). I had an exceptionally dense donor area when I was young. As I have aged (from 26 to 60 years old) my donor area on the back and sides of my head has thinned out considerably. I would say I have lost about 2/3 of the original density there. This doesn't happen to all men, but should be a consideration when men are thinking of having hair transplant surgery. My thinning may have been partly or completely due to the numerous shotgun scars I got from that early version of hair transplant surgery. I once posted photos and guys in another forum commented my donor was "shot". Thankfully beard hair and Acell are providing relief to an otherwise depressing situation.

-I work for Dr. Cole's office in Alpharetta, GA and post in the forhair.com forum as CITNews

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    This doesn't happen to all men, but should be a consideration when men are thinking of having hair transplant surgery.
    on a long enough timeline it does...

"on a long enough timeline it does..."

And... I wish you all a long and happy life.

This phenomenon really needs to be examined further, researched, and subsequently figured out as to why hair follicles on the top of the head are particularly sensitive to DHT while follicles on the sides and lower back are resistant. In fact, I believe that the only area on a person's entire body where hair is sensitive to DHT is on top of a person's head, the absolute WORST possible area for hair loss to occur. I mean, even hair on a person's arms, legs, and face does not fall out due to DHT. There has to be some reason for this and it really needs to be examined further and figured out. But that's what pisses me off more than anything: that hair loss research (and treatment options) are so inadequate and limited today.

Different Levels of 5-Reductase Type I and II, Aromatase, and Androgen Receptor in Hair Follicles of Women and Men with Androgenetic Alopecia

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v1.../5610071a.html

Frontal hair follicles in women had 3 and 3.5 times less 5- reductase type I and II, respectively, than frontal hair follicles in men.

That's a good find 2020, but there really needs to be so much more research done into the phenomenon of hair loss, such as why there are more androgen receptors in the frontal regions of the scalp than in the occiptal regions and also within the entire body (ex. beard, leg, and arm hair are not affected by AGA).

Quote Originally Posted by 35YrsAfter View Post
    I'm 60 and had hair transplant surgery during the early days at a large clinic in Beverly Hills California (1979). I had an exceptionally dense donor area when I was young. As I have aged (from 26 to 60 years old) my donor area on the back and sides of my head has thinned out considerably. I would say I have lost about 2/3 of the original density there. This doesn't happen to all men, but should be a consideration when men are thinking of having hair transplant surgery. My thinning may have been partly or completely due to the numerous shotgun scars I got from that early version of hair transplant surgery. I once posted photos and guys in another forum commented my donor was "shot". Thankfully beard hair and Acell are providing relief to an otherwise depressing situation.

-I work for Dr. Cole's office in Alpharetta, GA and post in the forhair.com forum as CITNews
    Lol no offense but you are 60 yrs old and on a bald forum? This is what I don't get. By that time in life I will not give a **** about hair lol.. But when you start balding when your 19, kiss that confidence goodbye life has certainly not been the same

Senior Member BaldinLikeBaldwin's Avatar

genetic mutation basically

need some advanced gene therapy to solve this bish of a problem

Quote Originally Posted by dda View Post
    Lol no offense but you are 60 yrs old and on a bald forum? This is what I don't get. By that time in life I will not give a **** about hair lol.. But when you start balding when your 19, kiss that confidence goodbye life has certainly not been the same
    I remember a time when I thought 30 was old. At 60, I care much less about having a teenage head of hair. In fact, I really don't mind having thinner hair at 60 at all. Living with evidence of previous hair transplant surgery is another story entirely. That is unacceptable at ANY age in nearly all cases. Wanting to look one's best doesn't just disappear when you reach a certain age. I still try to look my best.