Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mercks developing PGD2 Blocker!

Hey guys,

Just an update on all the Costraelis stuff. This is what I've found:

There are currently THREE selective CRTH2 antagonists being investigated:

1) AM-211 by Amira Pharmaceuticals

2) AM-156 by Amira Pharmaceuticals

3) MK-7246 by Merck Pharmaceuticals!

Now, Phase I for MK-7246 in Asthma has already been completed! They're also developing other analogues of MK-7246 as back up in case MK-7246 is not effective in Phase IIa trials.

This all sounds very promising and let's hope it proves safe to be used! The future is looking brighter every day

Would be a good combo for patients who are suffering from asthma and hair loss. I wonder if this will anyway potentially lead to kidney failure. Decreased PGD2 --> decrease in the PGE --> arf.

Quote Originally Posted by JJacobs152 View Post
    Would be a good combo for patients who are suffering from asthma and hair loss. I wonder if this will anyway potentially lead to kidney failure. Decreased PGD2 --> decrease in the PGE --> arf.
    Dude tell me about it! Playing with T-cells is always messy! There's bound to be some side effects....

You know they're just finding out all the TNF-alpha blockers might be causing lymphoma and other cancers.

So who knows what this drug can do!

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond84 View Post
    Dude tell me about it! Playing with T-cells is always messy! There's bound to be some side effects....

You know they're just finding out all the TNF-alpha blockers might be causing lymphoma and other cancers.

So who knows what this drug can do!

Link to this, por favor? Leukemias and lymphomas were sooo many when I took path, it was crazy. All the AMLs, CMLs, etc etc. That's crazy that the TNF blockers could lead to lymphomas.

With all due respect , it is irresponsible for both of you to speculate on a potential treatments side effects.

This is why polio hasn't been eradicated from the northwestern provinces of pakistan . Because the Taliban keeps perpetrating lies about the vaccines. I am in no way suggesting that is analogous to the dialogue you two are having but it has the same effect on the decisions made by people with AA

However, IMHO, it isn't imprudent to discuss a potential treatment's efficacy.

But when you express concerns about possible cancer inducing properties of a future hair loss drug/ointment based on a poor understanding of their mechanisms, it leads to fear mongering and precludes hair loss sufferers from availing these safe options to fight AA when they do come to market.

Quote Originally Posted by JJacobs152 View Post
    Link to this, por favor? Leukemias and lymphomas were sooo many when I took path, it was crazy. All the AMLs, CMLs, etc etc. That's crazy that the TNF blockers could lead to lymphomas.
    Here's one:

http://www.discoverymedicine.com/Hyo...nce-warranted/

They still haven't confirmed it. It just seems like the number of malignancies in patients using these is rising!

Quote Originally Posted by ammin View Post
    With all due respect , it is irresponsible for both of you to speculate on a potential treatments side effects.

This is why polio hasn't been eradicated from the northwestern provinces of pakistan . Because the Taliban keeps perpetrating lies about the vaccines. I am in no way suggesting that is analogous to the dialogue you two are having but it has the same effect on the decisions made by people with AA

However, IMHO, it isn't imprudent to discuss a potential treatment's efficacy.

But when you express concerns about possible cancer inducing properties of a future hair loss drug/ointment based on a poor understanding of their mechanisms, it leads to fear mongering and precludes hair loss sufferers from availing these safe options to fight AA when they do come to market.
    Actually, we didn't mention anywhere that PDG2 blockers would result in cancers. Desmond, was referring to another class/group of drugs which cause this. Those group of drugs are known as TNF-alpha blockers.

Also, I think it is a good idea to talk about side effects especially people who have a science, medical, pharmacological, biochemical background. It sheds more light on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by ammin View Post

However, IMHO, it isn't imprudent to speculate on a potential treatment's efficacy.

Point taken Ammin

We're just saying based on previous experiences with immuno-modulators which have shown to increase the risk of cancers, one shouldn't rule out the same possibility for PGD2 blockers and great deal of caution should be taken to establish its safety. Particularly since they are being used for a cosmetic purpose rather than a life-threatening illness.

Touche, Well then all I can say is the following , and I say it with the utmost humility:

Please discuss side effects responsibly and only after fulling understanding the underlying mechanisms of these treatments. If you are not knowledgeable on a drug , but would still like to discuss its efficacy and contraindications to remedy your ignorance, kindly admit to the same.

It really puts the minds of laymen like me who are browsing these threads to rest.

Incidentally, I was aware that TNF alpha blockers were a different class of compound than PGD2 inhibitors but to connect their carcinogenic properties, 'suggested' by a handful of studies, to the carcinogenic potential of pgd2 ,seemed extremely reckless.

Anyways, on a more positive note, good news is Merck is developing a PGD2 blocker. Now these guys have the in-house expertise for treatment of hair loss and will most likely take up Costraelis's offer for a topical formulation.

To top it off, Propecia loses its patent in 2014 making Merck even more eager to get a new hair loss drug on the market