+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Bald View Post
    Can I just ask, what exactly is a diffuse thinner? Someone who thins all over? Or someone who recedes and starts losing at the crown until they meet up?

I don't know what I am, My temples are getting pretty bad now and my crown is getting pretty thin, am I a diffuse thinner? In general my whole hair quality/density is not what it was a year ago...
    Have a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=mJ45-X9vkwc

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    I hate to diminish the mental impact hair loss may have on others, but I have to say this.

I really, really dislike when people complain about recession, the temple scalp showing more or a higher forehead. These people almost assuredly still have decent density.

I would give anything to have density and more pronounced temple recession then be diffuse.
    Well, it's just a heirarchy of hair-having. People with perfect hair think nothing of it. The people you mentioned see themselves as the unlucky ones. People in your shoes see themselves as the unlucky ones. People at Nw7 see themselves as the unlucky ones. We're all dealing with the reality of hairloss in phases, even if it bothers you.

I noticed a receder and a little thinning, but didn't pay any attention to temples until people on this forum used it as some sort of benchmark in hair quality. I always found that bizarre. Anyways, I looked at pictures of me over the years, and I've never had thick temples, and I've never had a straight hairline. I think it's a reasonable comparator for people who have once had thick, sharp temples (unlike me).

Also, I totally agree on the complaining part. I see a lot of new members get no attention when they express their (legitimate) concerns about hairloss while they're still NW1 or NW2. It's a shame, because those are the people that seasoned members should be reaching out to to help benefit their lives.

I went off on a bit of a tangent, haha, sorry. But +1.

sorry for the double post, but I ended up taking a picture for a different thread and want to show you guys want with no temple hair looks like, lol. I've actually never really had temple hair though, so it hasn't shook me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot(1).jpg

Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	17468  

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Well, it's just a heirarchy of hair-having. People with perfect hair think nothing of it. The people you mentioned see themselves as the unlucky ones. People in your shoes see themselves as the unlucky ones. People at Nw7 see themselves as the unlucky ones. We're all dealing with the reality of hairloss in phases, even if it bothers you.

I noticed a receder and a little thinning, but didn't pay any attention to temples until people on this forum used it as some sort of benchmark in hair quality. I always found that bizarre. Anyways, I looked at pictures of me over the years, and I've never had thick temples, and I've never had a straight hairline. I think it's a reasonable comparator for people who have once had thick, sharp temples (unlike me).

Also, I totally agree on the complaining part. I see a lot of new members get no attention when they express their (legitimate) concerns about hairloss while they're still NW1 or NW2. It's a shame, because those are the people that seasoned members should be reaching out to to help benefit their lives.

I went off on a bit of a tangent, haha, sorry. But +1.
    I disagree with your first paragraph. People may think the way you describe but it's illogical. People who have receding hair lines may always have a NW2 or NW3. Diffuse thinners are going to become a NW7. Diffuse thinner are the unlucky ones because even though they may still have not receded too much in their temples their hair is so thin it's pointless to have a NW2-3 hair line. That video is perfect evidence of the pointlessness of having a decent hair line with diffuse thinning and his hair loss will continue to deteriorate. I'd rather be a NW7 now and just shave my head than wear this wispy NW2.5 I currently have because my density cannot hid my balding unlike someone who is receding. It's also more difficult for diffuse thinners to get a HT due to shock loss.

I think most of the people on here worried about hair loss when they are NW1 or NW2 are too young to do anything about it and should just keep an eye on the progression of their hair loss. It sucks to think you need to continue to watch your hair degrade but taking propecia in your teens is dangerous. I'm also weary about taking propecia until you are in your mid 20s just because your brain is still developing until about 25 and little is discussed about the effects of propecia on the brain (which do exist).

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningB420 View Post
    I disagree with your first paragraph. People may think the way you describe but it's illogical. People who have receding hair lines may always have a NW2 or NW3. Diffuse thinners are going to become a NW7. Diffuse thinner are the unlucky ones because even though they may still have not receded too much in their temples their hair is so thin it's pointless to have a NW2-3 hair line. That video is perfect evidence of the pointlessness of having a decent hair line with diffuse thinning and his hair loss will continue to deteriorate. I'd rather be a NW7 now and just shave my head than wear this wispy NW2.5 I currently have because my density cannot hid my balding unlike someone who is receding. It's also more difficult for diffuse thinners to get a HT due to shock loss.

I think most of the people on here worried about hair loss when they are NW1 or NW2 are too young to do anything about it and should just keep an eye on the progression of their hair loss. It sucks to think you need to continue to watch your hair degrade but taking propecia in your teens is dangerous. I'm also weary about taking propecia until you are in your mid 20s just because your brain is still developing until about 25 and little is discussed about the effects of propecia on the brain (which do exist).
    I guess you're right about the diffuse thinners vs receders. In a weird way, I kind of enjoy having a receder; i feel older and more mature and it may reflect that way as I'm now a "professional". I didn't think about it like that before.

I think your worry about the propecia in early 20s is also valid, at least for some people. I know that at 24, my body is definitely still going through some chemical changes (some drastic). That's not to say that some men aren't fully matured by 21 or maybe earlier, but at least for me, it really feels like I could be messing with something already relatively unstable. To further that, I wonder if those aren't the people who get perm sides more often. Taking fin can't be taken lightly [horrible wording, lol].