+ Reply to Thread

Default Low testosterone and hair loss???

I am a 24 year old male, I first started noticing that my hair line was receding around 20. It was slow at first but during the past 18 months I have noticed a significant increase in the amount of hair I lose per a day. Along side this increased hair loss I have also noticed that my sex drive has decreased. I have always been very sexually active, I used to ejeculate anywhere from 1-5 times a day. But during the past 18 months I have been very busy, I'm now in a relationship that's lost some of it's spark and because i'm living with her I just don't get the opportunity or time to wank myself silly anymore and I avoid the sex as it is rather dull. I am also studying at university so any of my free time is spent sleeping/studying/going to the gym.

Anyway, I went to the doctor after a night shift and he checked my testosterone levels, it came back very low, I think it was 4.4 ng/l and normal is considered 8-28 or something in the UK. I am now waiting to have them tested again because he wants to do them when i haven't been deprived of sleep before he refers me to an endocrinologist. As you can imagine this came as a bit off a shock to me and it's completely put me off trying propecia or anything that's going to alter my hormones now.

If anything I was expecting the test result to come back high because of the increased hair loss, more test means more dht? my build (muscular) and the amount of body hair I have, are all signs of high testosterone right? My test is next week so i'm just playing the waiting game right now. As for treating my baldness, I think i'm just going to wait and hope that a safer more effective treatment is available within my life time.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

low T actually creates high DHT. Without your body compensating like that for low T, you would start to look like a woman. That's why some people only start balding in their 40s due to their lower testosterone and higher DHT

Well, was that Total T or Free T? If it was low free T then yah, it likely means more DHT conversion is going on and getting on Propecia may help.

You should really have a more complete hormone panel work up done. Total T, Free T, DHT, Estradiol and SHBG.

Test levels alone don't mean anything as it relates to the sensitivity of your folliciles.

I'm pretty sure that was Total Test, I will get the results sent out to me shortly so I will know for sure then. To get free T and DHT levels checked at my GP would be impossible, I need to wait until he refers me to an endocrinologist who will then check everything I hope. He has also talked about the possibility of putting me on hormone replacement therapy, which would be a weekly injection of testosterone, I wonder how that would affect my DHT.

Hairloss associated with MPB can be accompanied by excess T a well though, right? I only ask because I have opposite "symptoms" occurring in conjunction with my thinning.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

There are other hormones including cortisol levels that can effect the rate at which men have hair loss. It is a very complicated formula and also highly dependent on the genetic programming the person has.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile