Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJacobs152
    • May 2011

Question about hair transplant.

I'm sure this question has been asked multiple times, but couldn't find the response for it. Hairs that are donated from the back of the head and placed into donor regions - what're the variables that contribute to taking the transplanted hairs to grow full and thick? Basically, why does it take almost 12 months at times, to see results of the transplant?

Is this due to inherent proteins which are sensing damage/trauma to the hair follicles, thus inhibiting growth for the duration?
  • gillenator
    • Dec 2008

It takes on average one year for not only the hair follicles to rest (3-4 months) post-op, but then for the follicles to enter their respective growth phase and begin growing hair. The follicles do this intermittently and so the patient can have new hair sprouting up to 10 months post-op. It takes several more months for the new hair to gain length and develop hair caliber.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
      IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
      • Nov 2008

It is very similar to when a person digs up a bush from the yard and then replants it in another location. Usually even with watering all the leaves fall off within a week or two. Sure enough new leaves start to grow a few months later and those leaves eventually reach full size after several months of growth.
      Dr. Glenn Charles
      Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
      View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• mattj
        Doctor Representative
        • Oct 2009

I did not know that about bushes. That is strangely similar to the post-HT shed.
        I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• gillenator
          • Dec 2008

How interesting. I just had transplanted a Crepe Mertal tree mid October. I had a difficult time getting it out of the ground without disturbing the deeper root system.

Almost immediately after relocating it to my backyard, the leaves all shed! And I live in a milder climate so it was not the change of weather. It was still in the 70's when I moved the tree.

I have no doubts that it will come to life this spring with new leaves.
          "Gillenator"
          more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• Folly
            • Nov 2011

Gillenator, you RULE dude !!! Love reading your posts.

Comment

• gillenator
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Folly
              Gillenator, you RULE dude !!! Love reading your posts.
              Thanks Folly, I have always appreciated your posts too. Your honesty and forthrightness has helped more folks than you might realize.
              "Gillenator"
              more.hair@verizon.net

Comment

Working...