+ Reply to Thread

Default Gang I need your help for an intervention.

Studying for my bar exam which is at the end of next month, I've been slowly becoming anxious and stressed. When I do this, I have a tendency of picking at my scalp which tends to form scabs overtime. I pick at these scabs, so it never heals properly. My parents, friends, classmates, all tell me to stop.

It got to the point, where I told my classmates, if they saw me picking at my hair, to slap my wrist as hard as they could. I even know, that scalp picking/picking scabs can lead to alopecia, but I just want more confirmation, so I stop.

You're not doing this out of habit, you're doing it out of choice. You've brought it to conscious recognition; when things are consciously acknowledged, and if you choose to keep at it, it then becomes a choice. Unconscious, habit.

So, decide. For yourself, do you choose to keep picking.

Look into some habit reversal techniques man. If you are persistent they may help you.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    You're not doing this out of habit, you're doing it out of choice. You've brought it to conscious recognition; when things are consciously acknowledged, and if you choose to keep at it, it then becomes a choice. Unconscious, habit.

So, decide. For yourself, do you choose to keep picking.
    +1.

Couldn't have said it better. Anytime I get down about a habit/lifestyle decision, I refuse to let it continue.

Don't justify doing it because it "relieves stress" or has any "positive" effect on you, because you know good and well that being stress free and NOT picking is the choice route.

Do the opposite of the Nike slogan: Just DON'T do it!

I hear you on this one. I just took the Bar in July--it's genuinely an awful experience. Try something like holding a pen in each hand in order to make it more difficult to play with your hair. Or put a sticky on your computer screen that says "DON'T PICK." You just need a deterrence device--a constant reminder.

Or do what I did--get a transplant in the middle of bar studying. That'll keep you from picking.

And good luck. If you stick to it, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by win200 View Post
    I hear you on this one. I just took the Bar in July--it's genuinely an awful experience. Try something like holding a pen in each hand in order to make it more difficult to play with your hair. Or put a sticky on your computer screen that says "DON'T PICK." You just need a deterrence device--a constant reminder.

Or do what I did--get a transplant in the middle of bar studying. That'll keep you from picking.

And good luck. If you stick to it, you'll be fine.
    That is quite...ballsy. I don't think I'd be able to deal with the added stress of surgery, recovery, the exam, etc etc. Props to you for being able to do it.