+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Story

Default My Story

You've all undoubtedly heard this before, but I just need to talk to people who understand.

I’m twenty-two and very rapidly losing my hair.
    I used to have long, curly hair (think Slash from Guns n' Roses), and I only noticed my aggressive balding when I got it cut to a more modern style in January (ironically, I got it cut because I moved to University and thought it would be the ideal time to make a style change, seeing as I was entering a new, exciting time in my life), and since then it’s gotten a lot worse. At first, I had an instantly visible patch at my crown that I could occasionally cover up, but now it's bigger and my hairline at the front is receding to the point where I have to move the surrounding hair certain ways to conceal it - and that's in the space of only a few months. If things continue the way they are right now, the majority of the top of my head will be more-or-less hairless by this time next year. I used to be a very confident person. I had a lot of friends and had no problem approaching women. Virtually overnight, that confidence was devastated and will never return.

What are supposed to be the best years of my life have now been replaced by day after day of humiliation and suffering, wearing a hat constantly - which I fear is only speeding up the process - and secluding myself at home because I've lost the will to go out anywhere and I can't face the prospect of seeing people. I get this overwhelming sinking feeling in my stomach when I look at guys my age, and older, with full heads of hair, living their lives in happiness and talking to young girls - something I know for me will never happen again.

The worst part by far, is that I’ve noticed the way women relate to me changing. I'm not an idiot, and I'm well aware that balding guys - especially at my age - are an instant dealbreaker. Women I used to flirt with are suddenly very static and business-like and the long term if-we-weren’t-in-different-cities-we-would-totally-be-together ones I used to maintain regular communication with have now, every single one of them, severed all contact with me. The girl I liked, had known for months and been dating for a few weeks, stopped seeing me in a romantic sense LITERALLY on the spot - she was sitting beside me when I got it cut. Of course, I couldn't see the back of my head while in the barber's chair, but I saw the look on her face change, and at first, couldn't work out why.

Let me tell you, that was the most horrible moment of my life.

I'm in University surrounded by 18-21 year olds who now see me as either an old man or "that guy's who's only 22 and going bald". My confidence has hit rock-bottom and I barely speak now. I never leave the house and can't walk past a mirror without checking my hairline and noticing it getting worse by the day.

My parents don't understand, they just say "Ahh, it's nothing! You're just imagining it!", so I went to college without my hat one day and EVERYONE I knew mentioned it straight away, very loudly, drawing everyone else's attention to it.

It might seem petty to people who aren't experiencing it, but it's ruining my life. The 'young man' period of my life is over now and it's only just begun. I've prematurely entered into old age and I just can't bear it.

The chances of me getting another girlfriend are ludicrous, and even when I meet girls in bars and think I've got a shot with them, they suddenly vanish after they see me without my hat on.

I'm not usually a pessimistic person, but I see nothing in the future for me but further pain an misery. The best I can hope for is to become a friend to women, the "Oh, he's such a nice person" guy, but never anything more, and all because I'm going bald.

So have you tried going on any of the big 3?

not to mention you need to pinpoint what NW you are, it can help.

look into rogaine, propecia, nizoral. They can help your problem alot(at least halting it, possibly reversing it a bit).

but dont worry man, we're all in the same position, just try not to focus on it like crazy and just continue your life the best you can.

a better solution is coming soon.(as in 3-5 years). But I agree, I myself am 20 and losing my hair just flat out SUCKS, sometimes I wear a hat to hide and honestly when I do it it makes me LESS confident cause I know I'm just covering up, but still aesthetically without a hat it doesnt look all that good. Ultimately though it's about getting used to it as it's the best thing you can do. Hiding doesnt help in the end.

the sad thing abt hairloss is that in some cultures (mine), it is ok to make fun of bald guy. i remember when i was in my 20s and losing hair, i used to avoid going out or meeting people. cause if someone brought up my hairloss, it destroyed me inside

with that said, it gets easier as u grow old and there are good treatments available (big 3) that one can use.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Hang in there Human'.. Your age is a huge benefit to you ! Once a VIABLE treatment is approved this anxiety will be a thing of the past.
    And do NOT buy into any of the pessimistic views you may see here. There are SERIOUS tests on-going and they did not just recently begin. The race is on

Human,

Please see a doctor so you can begin a regimen to stop or slow hair loss before it gets worse. There are products on the market which work amazingly well.

I'm in my 50's, my hair didn't begin to thin until about 15 years ago, it was a slow thinning process, but nonetheless it certainly occurred to the point I had a very noticeable head of very thin lifeless hair from temples to crown in a horseshoe pattern. Not totally bald, but temples receded to the point of being hairless at that location.

One day I just said to myself even though I'm in my 50's I'm going to do something about this because I didn't want to lose anymore hair than I already have.

I went to a doctor, he recommended Propecia, Biotin, Multivitamin, Rogaine and recommended I search for a hair transplant surgeon if I wanted to reverse the thin top and crown. I was seeing many hairs in the shower or sink after showering while combing-brushing, but the loss stopped completely, now every once in a while I see one or two hairs, but nothing to be concerned about, I was amazed at the results just using what others here also use daily to halt or slow hair loss.

Then I went to a highly recommended Hair Transplant surgeon, he indicated I was a good candidate for a transplant which my dermatologist also stated, even with the thin hair on top, the back and sides were very thick.

I had a 2500 FUT procedure a few months ago, now I have a head full of new hairs about a 1/4 inch long coming in nicely and I'm still not noticing any loss besides a a couple hairs now and then. I honestly believe the prescribed medicine and supplements have put a stop to further loss at the moment.

Being young and having this occur has to be devastating, but you can stop the loss if you truly want it stopped, you may experience some regrowth too.

Allowing this to depress you isn't helping, extreme stress can only worsen the problem I have read, although its hard, please try to think positive always, its hard, but you can do it, and once you begin a regimen to stop hair loss your thinking will only become more positive after seeing the results of stopping loss and possibly gaining density. Its a slow process, but it certainly worked for me and I'm much much older than you. You can then grow your hair longer again and you'll be able to conceal the loss once again.

I'm certainly not an expert about hair loss, but I wish I would have practiced what I said is working for me many years ago instead of waiting until I was a strong candidate for a transplant.

Please see a doctor, always think positive no matter what the circumstance, hopefully you will see great improvements within the coming year.

I wish the best for you..!

Dale

Inspects your a great man btw. We appreciate your support.

I know what your going through im 27 and have been fighting against the wind for the last 5 years and now to deal with this its almost unbearable. I find out what helps is to excercise and eat healthy. Make sure your taking real good care of yourself and also as inspects was saying there is no shame in getting on the big 3. My dad and everyone i talk so says, just shave it, that stuff is dangerous. How would you like to look like a cue ball you dont know your 53 with a full head, so shot op. My plan is proscar, then rogaine foam and nizoral. Followed by a way healthier eating habits and supplements. Also running on a treadmill or outdoors mon wed fri. And quitting smoking. I ate like garbage for the last few years, and smoked my lungs out. Im sure that doesnt help

Yeah, once you hit about 26-27 the girls are looking for a good mate and less of a jersey shore muscle head moron. You will get through it

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Hang in there Human'.. Your age is a huge benefit to you ! Once a VIABLE treatment is approved this anxiety will be a thing of the past.
    And do NOT buy into any of the pessimistic views you may see here. There are SERIOUS tests on-going and they did not just recently begin. The race is on
    I really agree with you here. I see way too much negativity on here; people being negative just for the sake of being negative. I see some people on here, everything they post is just negative. I really have to think positively that a cure or at least an effective treatment will come out very soon. I have no choice but to think this way because simply "accepting" baldness is not an option for me.

Thanks a lot guys, it's massively comforting to know you're not alone, and that other men understand your situation. Really, thank you.

I've made an appointment with my doctor for next week, so I'll investigate that area first. It seems like the best place to start. Also, you're right in saying that negativity gets you nowhere. Staying positive and not letting it mess with your head is a great idea, and even in the short few days since I posted here, I've found it much easier to do that knowing that others are out there, as the feeling of isolation that comes with it is really tough to handle.

This place is fantastic for men who are suffering from hair loss, being able to share and have people genuinely listen. I'd recommend it to anyone in the same place, and it saddens me to think of all the men out there who also feel like they're all alone.

Dale, I really appreciate you taking the time to write to me in such great detail! I hope I'll be able to do the same for others here soon. Everything you said sounds very encouraging, lots of great information and I already feel like a lot of weight has been lifted.

Once again, thanks. Getting such positive responses from all of you has really inspired me to get going and do something.

Rory.