+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default People who had LONG TERM side effects after taking Propecia/finasteride

I don't want a discussion about whether long term side effects are psychological. I know they're not.

This is addressed just to people who have had long term side effects after taking this hormone altering drug.

Did you go through "cycles" of side effects? I've had a couple weeks recently where I felt I was returning to normal. Good sensitivity, good libido. This last few days though I've crashed. I feel numb and I've no sexual urges at all.

Has anyone experienced this? Does this go away in time? Bear in mind it's been 7 months since I stopped taking it. I'm supplementing 30mg of zinc a day and have been taking good care of my health.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I don't want a discussion about whether long term side effects are psychological. I know they're not.

This is addressed just to people who have had long term side effects after taking this hormone altering drug.

Did you go through "cycles" of side effects? I've had a couple weeks recently where I felt I was returning to normal. Good sensitivity, good libido. This last few days though I've crashed. I feel numb and I've no sexual urges at all.

Has anyone experienced this? Does this go away in time? Bear in mind it's been 7 months since I stopped taking it. I'm supplementing 30mg of zinc a day and have been taking good care of my health.
    Chrisis I have never taken fin but may have some helpful advise as I used to suffer from complete Libido crashes before. I suffered Libido crashes for years and managed to recover to the point I now have too high a libido. I would go weeks without no urges what so ever. No erection and when they did come they were sensationless and and climax achieved was pleasureless. This messed up a couple of realationships on me as the other half though I had gone off them.

I know the reason why and its the exact same reason it happend to you.

You introdued/changed/adjusted something into the cycle that your body had been used to for x number of years.

For me it was changing diets and excercise regiems. I was/still am a fitness freak. Gym x 3 times a week. Running 3 x times a week. I still do this but less intense running and lower reps as I'm 33 but look at lot younger as a result of looking after myself, or so I'm told

I was always trying achieve very low body fat, I was going for the extremely lean and toned look. I got there too and am still in good shape, except for my hair

High fibre diets, the atkins low carb diet, HIT training. I did them all and my libido would crash. Sometimes I would have a month of zero libido, it would return for a week and then disappear again.

Over the last year or so I have a very strong libido and my hair loss is worse than ever. I am currently on a medium card diet and feel good downstairs all the time. Go figure.

My advise would be to introduce a regiem or something the raises your libido sky high and then slowly taper off it. That worked for me through vitimans and once I tapered off it my my libido was sky high and stayed healthy since once it went above and beyong its normal pre crash level. I have had four down days in the last 6 months which is perfectly normal, probably too high actually.

What worked for me was the following diet and mix of vitimans. I would be very confident this would help your libido if you stick to it. I would be confident enough to say you would see positive results in under 14 days.

Tip one. Cut out red meat from you diet. I was on a lot of red meat due to its zero carb qualities. Your body burns carbs before fat so if your not eating carbs any excercise you do burns straight into your fat. This is how the Atkins diet works so well but you need carbs for energy hence my crashes. You dont have to eliminate it all together. For the first two weeks just have it one day a week.

The Atkins diet also tells you to avoid wholegrain and dairy products. Eat wholegrain breads and cereals a lot for the two weeks and then drop back to your normal amount. You may gain a few pounds but once your energy levels and Libido return you can burn them off with some cardio.

The following vitimans should be taken daily for 4 months
    Up your dosage to Zinc 75mg daily
    Biotin 5000u
    Lipoic acid 600mg
    Vit C 2g

I introduced Toco8 at month 2 and my Libido went crazy high. Toco8 is essentially the best Vit E out there with all 8 isomers. Although Bioton and Lipoic acid were taken for my hair they had a good effect on my blood quality.

I stand by these comments as they helped me recover and did so very quickly. Hopefully the DHT suppression you went through was not to severe.

Stay strong and hopefull. You were taking Fin for a short time so this is 100% recoverable but might take a little longer. Reply, PM and email anytime if you have anymore questions.

Hey MrBlonde, Sorry for the slow reply. Had a busy week!

I really appreciate all of the info you put into your response. I'll take a note of the supplements you recommended and stock up.

What's your email addy and I'll message you there about how things go!

I can tell you as a veggie that cutting out red meat won't be a problem! Toco8 sounds very interesting!

HIIT training definitely helps kick start the system. Also sends GH through the roof. Had the puffy nipple gyno side thing on the drug in the first few weeks then chucked it but have had no lasting sides so all good here. Sorry to hear about your problems Chrisis. Hope you get back to normal soon. Keep us updated.

Highlander, it's pretty much acknowledged that doctors haven't got a f-ing clue. I do think I should go see a doctor, however I don't have high hopes. I have more confidence in people who've been through this (or something similar) and have found something that actually works. The medical community seems quite happy to prescribe this drug despite the risks I know exist, so what do they know?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post

Sorry to hear that. Some people say that zinc only offered temporary relief for them as well. Maybe even take a little more zinc? Who knows. Keep us updated on your progress.

My HT doctor specifically said to take a good quality multivitamin while on Fin, I have been for months with no sides whatsoever. I'm 52 years old.

Hair is growing nicely, and everything below the belt works fine.

-Dale-

Quote Originally Posted by inspects View Post
    My HT doctor specifically said to take a good quality multivitamin while on Fin, I have been for months with no sides whatsoever. I'm 52 years old.

Hair is growing nicely, and everything below the belt works fine.

-Dale-
    Glad to hear Dale, although I must say your doctor sounds like a complete jerk job lol. Taking a multivitamin will not make the difference between having sides and not having sides. I'm confident it will work fine for you though at the age of 52 and having not experienced any sides this far. There are some young men that simply have no business being on the drug and altering there hormones; comprehensive tests beforehand are a must.

btw, what dose are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan26 View Post
    Glad to hear Dale, although I must say your doctor sounds like a complete jerk job lol. Taking a multivitamin will not make the difference between having sides and not having sides. I'm confident it will work fine for you though at the age of 52 and having not experienced any sides this far. There are some young men that simply have no business being on the drug and altering there hormones; comprehensive tests beforehand are a must.

btw, what dose are you on?
    Possibly Dan. The doctor didn't hand me a prescription after my procedure, I asked for it because my brother had such good results.

When I asked for the prescription he told me to take a good multivitamin and additional biotin if I take the Fin, my brother was doing the same thing with no sides. I thought they were like ketchup and mustard, they go good together.

This is all new to me, but since you have me wondering I think I'll call and ask why, I haven't gave it a second thought until you mentioned he might be a quack, which in fact he's quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by inspects View Post
    Possibly Dan. The doctor didn't hand me a prescription after my procedure, I asked for it because my brother had such good results.

When I asked for the prescription he told me to take a good multivitamin and additional biotin if I take the Fin, my brother was doing the same thing with no sides. I thought they were like ketchup and mustard, they go good together.

This is all new to me, but since you have me wondering I think I'll call and ask why, I haven't gave it a second thought until you mentioned he might be a quack, which in fact he's quite the opposite.
    Cool brother. There are alot of great doctors out there that just overlook finasteride. My doctor has amazing reviews on web MD, yet he doesn't have the slightest of knowledge about fin, and this is dangerous. In terms of nutrition and supplements, doctors do not receive any kind of meaninful education on this in medical school. It is something the doctor has to take upon himself to further investigate. If your doctor gives you a sound answer as to why, that would definitely be a good sign. STILL, finasteride is handled terrible by the medical community. Don't want to scare you cause I know you will have a positive experience on it.