+ Reply to Thread

Default Increase Finasteride Dose... 390 day update

I just wanted to update my progress on here to give help and hope to everyone.

-I'm in my mid 40's, should be totally bald because it's all over my family.
    -Started to loose hair at 19, was going fast.
    -I remember comments of "hey your going bald" "wow your hair is thinning" I also remember my scalp being soooo tight.
    -started .25 mg many years ago.
    -had fantastic results till about 2 years ago when I started defuse thinning, receding temples. At the same time felt my scalp getting very tight.
    -390 days ago, upped my dose to 1.25 mg.
    -within a week, noticed my scalp looser
    -I believe in hair having 100 day cycle and I believe I have had sheds after every 100 days.
    -the last 90 days, seems like one big shed.. so much that I thought this time it wouldn't work, my temples were just getting bigger but my scalp was loose
    -the last 3 days have been noticeable much much better. My hair feels like its getting stronger. It's thicker and easier to hide the thin temples.
    -It's amazing how within one week my outlook has changed sooo much

-I believe a person who goes on finasteride needs to give it 400 days.. that would be 4 cycles.
    -I am so happy with my progress and I believe I'll get better and better. I still wish my temples would fill in.. not sure how much better they will get but i'm very hopeful
    _I also use miox 5% twice per day, nizoral twice per week, massage my scalp twice per day and I use dermaroller a couple times per week.

-sheds are brutal and can really mess with your head, both ways.

stick with it if your on finasteride, and give it time.. at least 400 days
    check for tight scalp

Quote Originally Posted by jjo View Post
    I just wanted to update my progress on here to give help and hope to everyone.

-I'm in my mid 40's, should be totally bald because it's all over my family.
    -Started to loose hair at 19, was going fast.
    -I remember comments of "hey your going bald" "wow your hair is thinning" I also remember my scalp being soooo tight.
    -started .25 mg many years ago.
    -had fantastic results till about 2 years ago when I started defuse thinning, receding temples. At the same time felt my scalp getting very tight.
    -390 days ago, upped my dose to 1.25 mg.
    -within a week, noticed my scalp looser
    -I believe in hair having 100 day cycle and I believe I have had sheds after every 100 days.
    -the last 90 days, seems like one big shed.. so much that I thought this time it wouldn't work, my temples were just getting bigger but my scalp was loose
    -the last 3 days have been noticeable much much better. My hair feels like its getting stronger. It's thicker and easier to hide the thin temples.
    -It's amazing how within one week my outlook has changed sooo much

-I believe a person who goes on finasteride needs to give it 400 days.. that would be 4 cycles.
    -I am so happy with my progress and I believe I'll get better and better. I still wish my temples would fill in.. not sure how much better they will get but i'm very hopeful
    _I also use miox 5% twice per day, nizoral twice per week, massage my scalp twice per day and I use dermaroller a couple times per week.

-sheds are brutal and can really mess with your head, both ways.

stick with it if your on finasteride, and give it time.. at least 400 days
    check for tight scalp
    Explain tight scalp. I've never heard of it. Is it exactly as it sounds? A scalp needing to be "loosened" up by massage?

And what is your opinion on dandruff? My scalp is flaky and I use 0.25 mg/daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddho View Post
    And what is your opinion on dandruff? My scalp is flaky and I use 0.25 mg/daily.

I had that too. I remember to be able to take my brush and scratch softly on my hairline and remove skin or flakes. I don't have that now. I massage my head as many times per day as possible, I put my hands on the side of head and squeeze up.
    I use 5% nizoral, I shampoo once quickly then I repeat and leave on my hair for 5 min. I do this every 3 or 4 days.

I would suggest to increase your dose a little but I am not a doctor.
    I am a very very long term user of finasteride and can only give opinions of what worked for me.

How can I be in my mid 40's and have a full head of hair when at 20 years old, people telling me that i'm going bald.

My opinion, all this bad stuff you read about finasteride just scares people...

It's been the best thing in the world for me... you just have to stick with it and ride the shedding and if your scalp is loose, you'll be ok.
    At least 400 days

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Explain tight scalp. I've never heard of it. Is it exactly as it sounds? A scalp needing to be "loosened" up by massage?

put your hands on both sides of your head, just above the ears

then push up with both hands...

Is your scalp tight?
    If you push from both hands and hold it... does it loosen up?

When I wasn't using finasteried my head was getting so tight
    On the drug my scalp is loose and easy to move.

over time, my .25 mg that I was taking stopped working
    at the same time, my head was getting tight again

when I changed to 1.25 mg my head returned to normal loose.

I do head massage at least 2 times a day but sometimes many times, whenever I think about it.

Did you find the scalp massages helped rid your scalp of flakyness?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddho View Post
    Did you find the scalp massages helped rid your scalp of flakyness?

a combination of finasteride, nizoral and massage

worked wonders for me, I just needed to give it time and sometimes I thought it wasn't working because of the shed's

But a part of me knew it was working.. even through shed's because my scalp was loose. That is the key

If your scalp is very tight, and your on finasteride, i would recommend increasing the dose a little till the tightness is gone.

Thats what did it for me.

I tried 1mg, didn't work
    1.25mg works great.

Again, I'm not a doctor, this is my experience.

I couldn't be happier, mid 40's with a full head of hair.
    I'm still hopeful for growth in the temples but I feel so blessed even the way I am now.