+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Cetirizine

Default Claratyne

Funny you say that my uncle is 63 years old takes Claratyne every day for allergies has a full head of hair!!

Default Hmmmm could be risky

(loratadine) Tablets, Syrup, and Rapidly-Disintegrating Tablets
    Now available Over-The-Counter (OTC); No prescription needed.

DRUG DESCRIPTION
    Loratadine is a white to off-white powder not soluble in water, but very soluble in acetone, alcohol, and chloroform. It has a molecular weight of 382.89, and empirical formula of C22H23CIN2O2; its chemical name is ethyl 4-(8-chloro-5,6-dihydro-11H-benzo[5,6]cyclohepta[1,2-b]pyridin-11-ylidene) -1-piperidinecarboxylate and has the following structural formula:

CLARITIN Tablets contain 10 mg micronized loratadine, an antihistamine, to be administered orally. It also contains the following inactive ingredients: corn starch, lactose, and magnesium stearate.

CLARITIN Syrup contains 1 mg/mL micronized loratadine, an antihistamine, to be administered orally. It also contains the following inactive ingredients:citric acid, edetate disodium, artificial flavor, glycerin, propylene glycol, sodium ben-zoate, sugar, and water. The pH is between 2.5 and 3.1.

CLARITIN REDITABS (loratadine rapidly-disintegrating tablets)contain 10 mg micronized loratadine, an antihistamine, to be administered orally. It disintegrates in the mouth within seconds after placement on the tongue, allowing its contents to be subsequently swallowed with or without water. CLARITIN REDITABS (loratadine rapidly-disintegrating tablets) also contain the following inactive ingredients: citric acid, gelatin, mannitol, and mint flavor.

What are the possible side effects of loratadine?

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

fast or uneven heart rate;
    feeling like you might pass out;
    jaundice (yellowing of your skin or eyes); or
    seizures (convulsions).
    Less serious side effects may include:

headache;
    nervousness;
    feeling tired or drowsy;
    stomach pain, diarrhea;
    dry mouth, sore throat...

so maybe ethanol/ppg vehicle for loratadine?

Default Good News

Hey guys,

I thought it was really odd how Cetirizine had shown no effect on PGD2, particularly since Cetirizine is far more effective than Loratadine (Claratyne) & Fexofenadine (Telfast) when it comes to SKIN allergies.

So I did a lot of digging and found that within 5 hours of its oral use it inhibits PGD2 production in the skin by at least 50%!

I think the previous study was looking at PGD2 levels in nasal mucosa. I guess it makes sense. For example, antihistamines don't seem to work when you have a runny nose due to a cold (minimum effect on PGD2 in the nose) so we have to resort to Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) to dry up and unblock our nose

Here's a study for you guys to look at. This was conducted during its approval process

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2469708

So, stick to Cetirizine for now, until I dig up more info on Cromolyns.

P.S. If Cromolyns are more effective, there's a product called INTAL SPINCAPS, which are Cromolyn based capsules that go into a inhaler device. We can just open one capsule everynight, mix it with Emu oil & Propylene Glycol & voila

Default Desmond

Desmond all this sounds to good to be true if we only knew years ago about this dam it lol!

Hi Desmond

Can I just take zyrtec tablets orally then? It seems much easier than making a topical and I don't want to mix up everything into a solution. But if the topical is the best method I will try that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garethbale View Post
    Hi Desmond

Can I just take zyrtec tablets orally then? It seems much easier than making a topical and I don't want to mix up everything into a solution. But if the topical is the best method I will try that. Thanks
    Injesting it orally gives you more risk of side effects. I believe it gives the same benefit but less side effects if you use it topically.

EDIT: and On a side note I love how we're all becoming researchers right now. Screw the FDA trials!!(sarcasm kinda, I know they're for safety but still, 3-5 years is a long wait for hairloss!).

Default Agrered

Well five weeks till, I go on holiday thinking I have plenty if hair but if I start this treatment will I loose alot of hair or will I be able to keep it there's no gaurentee

Quote Originally Posted by garethbale View Post
    Hi Desmond

I think the issue with taking them orally is the dose. If you apply 10mg topically you will get a much higher dose to the scalp than if you take it orally where it will diffuse throughout your entire body.

You'd have to take a shed load of pills to get the same concentration in your scalp which would have systemic effects. So I think topical is the way to go.

One concern I have is we have no idea how much cet will go systemic from topical application. But I guess if you apply 10mg then no more than that can do systemic. Perhaps much less. I have no idea how much of a drug is typically going to go systemic from application to the scalp. I guess it varies widely.

Any thoughts Des?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by garethbale
    Hi Desmond

I wanna try the topical but don't want to she'd to much as I'm a Norwood 1 and what's the chance of keeping my hair with this topical or growing it back?