Will your hair you shed while using Rogaine grow back? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs down Will your hair you shed while using Rogaine grow back?

About two and a half months ago, I (25 year old male) noticed I was slightly thinning out on the top of my head. I decided to try rogaine foam. I applied it to the front, mid and crown of my head. About a week or so later I noticed that I was really starting to thin out on the top of my head but mainly in the front. I got online, read alot of information about rogaine foam, and found about half and half of really good results or miserable results. Some people said that Rogaine was growing hairs back for them (never mentioning a shed of any sort), and some people were saying that Rogaine caused them to lose lots of hair that never came back for them. I quit using the Rogaine on the front and mid of my scalp after a week or so, but now I have a fear that I've permanently damaged the front of my hair, which doesn't make any sense to me since Rogaine is FDA approved. I couldn't see the FDA putting out a product that has the potential to permanently damage your hair after only using it for a week/two weeks. And I couldn't see how there wouldn't be a disclaimer in the Rogaine package that would say something along the lines of "Caution; if you start using this product there is a chance that you won't regrow the hair that Rogaine has caused you to shed." All I know is that I now have a lot worse hair than what I've ever had my entire life, and that it started when I started the Rogaine foam. I heard it can take at least three to four months before that hair that shed would start to grow again, but waiting it out is killing me. I've never had a problem with my hair my entire life, except I straightened it earlier this year (I normally have wavy hair), and could tell I had started to thin out a little. I took rogaine foam for about a week or so and it devestated my hairline. and I've been to a dermatologist who told me Rogaine wouldn't cause shedding. He basically called me a liar. But I have heard the same scenario with a number of people online. I just can't believe that if Rogaine has the potential to do that, that a bigger deal is not made of the possibility that can totally devesate your hairline. Anyone can buy Rogaine at Wal Mart! That's just crazy to me if it could cause you to shed hair that won't ever grow back. I've seen hair doctors online throw out "give rogaine a try!" like it's not that big of a deal. And I've seen numerous hair doctors online actually say it's worth trying on the hairline.

Also, does anyone have an idea about how long it takes for your hair to become dependent on the Rogaine? I want to quit using it on my crown (I've started taking propecia a month ago, and I've been using Rogaine on the crown for roughly three months).

Default same problem

I had the same exact experience man...I'm depressed by the whole situation. Rogaine completely messed up my hairline after only 1month of use. I had to stop using Rogaine due to medical reasons. I have been off of Rogaine for 2months now and my hairline has not grown back. My hair is thinner than ever. Any comments would be greatly appreciated...

Danger,

Hey man. I'm three months removed from using Rogaine foam on my hairline and I have yet to really see any regrowth, at least any that is noticable to me..but then again.. i hear it does take 3 or 4 months for hair that is shed to start growing again, so this could take some time. My best guess is to check into getting on Propecia to help slow down, stop, or maybe even reverse your hair loss, and to sit tight as far as the hair regrowth goes. That's about all I can do right now as well. I totally understand about being depressed, or being down. I have had many of the same feelings as well over the past few months. Every day is a work in progress.

Default thanks

Thanks man! How is treatment with Propecia going? Did you experience a major shed with Propecia? I'm worried of experiencing another major shed. Keep us posted on your progress.

I had the same problem with rogaine. It says that for 3 to 4 weeks shedding should be expected, after which it would reside and the initially lost hairs would grow back after 3 to 6 months. My shedding got progressively worse for 5 months until I stopped everything. Hair never grew back as far as I know, but it could just be that I didn't notice because I was losing new hairs constantly.

One thing that could be the reason is that our scalps react badly to some of the inactive ingredients in Minodoxil. Minodoxil is usually dissolved in alcohol in order for it to be absorbed into the scalp. Although many doctors have denied that alcohol does any damage to the scalp, I found that every time after I go drinking, the next morning I shed an extra large amount of hair (and this is not just me worrying). So i guessed my shedding could have something to do with the alcohol and not the minodoxil itself.

So i just started using a product called lanadil, which is minodoxil based in a non alcoholic solution. Currently it only has 2% minodoxil in it so its usually meant for women only, but I got it anyways just to see. My hair seems to be doing well so far, and my shedding seems to have decreased quite a bit just after one week of usage. So you might want to try it, if you're having adverse reactions to the conventional ROgaine formula.

Quote Originally Posted by JMay83 View Post
    Danger,

Hey man. I'm three months removed from using Rogaine foam on my hairline and I have yet to really see any regrowth, at least any that is noticable to me..but then again.. i hear it does take 3 or 4 months for hair that is shed to start growing again, so this could take some time. My best guess is to check into getting on Propecia to help slow down, stop, or maybe even reverse your hair loss, and to sit tight as far as the hair regrowth goes. That's about all I can do right now as well. I totally understand about being depressed, or being down. I have had many of the same feelings as well over the past few months. Every day is a work in progress.
    Thanks man! How is treatment with Propecia going? Did you experience a major shed with Propecia? I'm worried of experiencing another major shed. Keep us posted on your progress.

Default Still losing

Thanks for your response Dr. Baxa!

I keep hearing that Rogaine will not cause me to lose more hair, but I'm still losing hair even though i stopped using Rogaine 4 months ago. This is after having only using it for 3weeks. I had no bald spots and had a decent amount of hair prior to Rogaine and now my hair is extremely thin and i am developing patches of bald spots. I have been extremely depressed over this. Can you tell me how long the "accelerated shed" is supposed to last? Will the hair that has been shedding grow back. I am extremely worried that I just killed my hair folicles. Also, if I was not going to be completely bald will I now go bald do to the use of Rogaine?

Please help...

Thanks so much for your time.

Default Shedding problem

When I first used minoxdil about a year ago I had a tiny bald spot on the top of my head and another spot towards the back of my head.

I used a spray bottle on these areas and over-spray got on my regular hair. After after about one month I stopped using it because of side effects and significant hair loss of NORMAL hair that I was perfectly happy with.

Now its been more than a year and my perfectly normal hair that I was perfectly happy with has not returned. Has anyone had similar experience.

Help!!! I can deal with the little spot of baldness that I had but I would like the perfectly fine hair that I had back, before minoxidil took it away.

Hmm similar predicament - i starting applying the foam to my hairline approx ten months ago - at the time it was thinning but still pretty decent, within a month or so it thinned out badly and hasnt really recovered. Sure i've got a few baby hairs appearing but nothing compared to what i lost.

Starting to doubt i'll never get those hair's i wiped out back now.