Will your hair you shed while using Rogaine grow back? - Page 3 - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I have a question about Rogaine usage. Maybe I'm reading some posts wrong so forgive me if I'm dumb but it seems that I'm reading a lot of posts that are saying, & I'm paraphrasing here...

"I started using Rogaine & my hair got worse so I stopped & now my hair is awful."

But from what I've read it seems that you start using Rogaine. You go through a shedding period. But then you have to keep using it. And then you begin to grow hair.

I think if you stop using it then of course you have no shot at getting your hair back. Now I'm just asking here. I only know what I've been reading. I'm 32 and have a nasty bald spot on the top of my head & thinning hair up front. I'm just doing research here & asking questions to get info. Has anyone started to use Rogaine & stick with it after the shedding period? I'd be curious to know what happens.

According to minoxidil.com only rogaine users of the 5% minoxidil strength or better usually go through a shedding period, with 2% it is much less likely. The shedding is a sign that it is working and that newer stronger hairs will likely form in the future.

You have to stick with the product for atleast 4-6 months.

I only recently started finasteride 1mg and minoxidil 2%. I am adding minoxidil 15% soon though. I think I am experiencing very minor shedding with the 2% that I apply sometimes 3x a day.

The shedding period lasts 100 days. It doesn't always happen, especially not to a big extent. But I do believe the vast majority regrow the most of the hairs that fell out. It just speeds up the hair cycling from anagen to telogen to grow new, better hairs.

I don't have experience in this myself but I have read a ton about it. You can read a lot about shedding here: http://minoxidil.com/subpages/journa.../shedding.html

I dunno man. Minoxidil (Rogaine Foam) actually almost completely restored my hairline.

Maybe I'm just a rare example. I hope it lasts for a few years til Hostogen or whatever comes out.

Which rogaine did you use?

The 5% foam?

Rogaine only helps SOME people a little bit. When you stop using it - you lose what you've gained.

Quote Originally Posted by JMay83 View Post
    Danger,

Hey man. I'm three months removed from using Rogaine foam on my hairline and I have yet to really see any regrowth, at least any that is noticable to me..but then again.. i hear it does take 3 or 4 months for hair that is shed to start growing again, so this could take some time. My best guess is to check into getting on Propecia to help slow down, stop, or maybe even reverse your hair loss, and to sit tight as far as the hair regrowth goes. That's about all I can do right now as well. I totally understand about being depressed, or being down. I have had many of the same feelings as well over the past few months. Every day is a work in progress.
    Thanks man! How is treatment with Propecia going? Did you experience a major shed with Propecia? I'm worried of experiencing another major shed. Keep us posted on your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Prix View Post
    Rogaine only helps SOME people a little bit. When you stop using it - you lose what you've gained. I am currently using myhairway method as a scalp treatment.. In the past months I've seen vellus hairs start to grow, and a some hairs start to fill in where my hair had receded. I did It naturally and without cost
    I don't see why this comes as such a surprise to so many people. Of course all benefits disappear once treatment has been stopped. The same is true for Propecia: "When you stop using it - you lose what you've gained."

Before using Minoxidil 5%, there was a (newly) bald patch about the size of a quarter right at the front of my hairline, which I guess is indicative of a future hairloss pattern far more significant than a norwood 3. After Nizoral & Minoxidil for almost 3 months, I am definitely seeing signs of new growth that resembles the rest of my hair, as opposed to the bleached, stringy angel hair pasta that used to wave around all sickly-looking in the wind.

Anyway. Don't knock Minoxidil just yet.

Unhappy wow

my personal experience with Rogaine Foam has been interesting and disturbing. I just started 40 days ago with a twice daily routine. Ive been on Avodart for years and just started Rogaine. I CANNOT believe how much hair I have shed using it. I sometimes plug up the drain in my shower, hunker over the side of the tub and lather my head up with Nizoral 2 to three times in a session, three times a week. I would literally have 200-300-400 hairs shed, per washing. After all the suds would dissapear from the washing, all that was left were hundreds of hairs floating around, alot of them are in groups of threes and fours of thicker hairs and ton of "finer" small hairs. Also, literally every time I gently run my fingers through my hair, I have 1-5 hairs sticking in between my fingers.....has anyone had this extensive of a shed? Your saying this is "normal"

i am in a similar situation right now. keep in mind shedding does not mean you are going bald. it is only when those super fine hairs continue to get finer and finer. i think you should keep it up. all studies show that hair returns and shedding will stop by the 4-6 month mark.

i have been on rogaine 5% twice daily for about 5-6 months now and saw a good deal of shedding in both the back in front. i have definitely seen good growth in the back but the front hasnt recovered yet. im still holding out that the situation may improve but at this point i think its most likely that my front will continue to thin...

instead of accusing rogaine of causing my front to lose the hair, i think the most likely explanation is that the mpb is accelerating faster than the rogaine can halt the process. a natural part of getting old i guess

like many ppl on here, i am just hoping that a better hairloss alternative will come out before its too late!