+ Reply to Thread

Default On Nizoral 1% and Saw Palmetto

Hello,

Up until a few weeks ago I thought I had my hair loss under control. It seemed like the combination of Saw Palmetto (which I'm convinced does absolutely nothing but make my balls feel a little weird from time to time) and Nioxon worked quite well. Around 6 weeks ago I started using Nizoral 2-3 times a week because I intend to avoid taking any sort of medication for as long as I can, and also because I've read it's a really effective DHT blocker.

Unfortunately, things seem to have significantly worsened. Since I'd go crazy if I made any sort of attempt to track how much hair I lose, I can't pinpoint when this crazy shed started, but between August 1st and now my hairline has noticeably receded. I now can also see my scalp through the hair in my right temple area (most of the hair in that area is now wispy). My hairline and temple area are now both noticeably thin up to my crown area.

To start, I'm going to make sure I only use nizoral twice a week. But is there anything else I can do before I make a move to Rogaine? If i do decide to start using rogaine, will the initial shed essentially transform me from a guy with thin hair to a guy who is balding? I am also starting to seriously consider fin, but I have a feeling that I will experience sides since I've had impotence problems as a result of other medications. It's possible that I may be particularly susceptible to sexual side effects.

My goal isn't to regrow hair, I really just want to maintain what I have for another 2-3 years as I begin my career. Your thoughts and contributions are appreciated.

Saw Palmetto is actually a very weak DHT blocker. Its like canons vs. pistols when compared to something like Finasteride.

I personally doubt saw palmetto would be responsible for you losing more hair. I've been taking 160-320mg a day for about a year, and the only thing I've noticed when on it, is a reduced sex drive but thankfully no limp dick (unlike finasteride which and be permanent).

Second, youre best off using Saw Palmetto, its a relatively inexpensive addition. Try using some proper additional shampoos to go along with Nizoral, anything with L-Arginine, Vitamin E or even Saw Palmetto itself should help in some way.

Your best bet though, is getting on RU58841 and Rogaine. The two in combination should not only keep what you have, but potentially regrow what you've lost.

RU58841 is your best and safest solution without any permanent side effects (at least none that have been documented). I've been on RU for about a year without any sides, in fact, Saw Palmetto gives me the most sides. Minoxidil (Rogaine) does make my scalp itchy sometimes though.

RU is really known to be effective? Although I've read positive things on this forum and elsewhere about it, I'm still skeptical and frankly somewhat apprehensive because of its experimental nature. Rogaine I'm definitely willing to try but I'm curious about the shed. How much thinner does the average person get during the "introductory shed"? Should I get a hat or a really really short haircut?

By the way, I'm definitely open to RU.. I'm just skeptical. I'd definitely give it a shot if I truly felt I was out of options.

Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    RU is really known to be effective? Although I've read positive things on this forum and elsewhere about it, I'm still skeptical and frankly somewhat apprehensive because of its experimental nature. Rogaine I'm definitely willing to try but I'm curious about the shed. How much thinner does the average person get during the "introductory shed"? Should I get a hat or a really really short haircut?

By the way, I'm definitely open to RU.. I'm just skeptical. I'd definitely give it a shot if I truly felt I was out of options.
    Yes, it's fantastic. Of course, your mileage may vary but there are a *lot* of people with very impressive results. The thing is you pretty much need Minoxidil to help RU, results then should be better.

There really isnt anything to be skeptical abuot, it should be your first option, the rest are just additives. Finasteride works very well, but the risks with it scare the shit out of me, so I've stayed far away from it.

I was just reading this thread and I'm just curious where you get your RU from hellouser as I have been thinking of trying it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by lucrio View Post
    I was just reading this thread and I'm just curious where you get your RU from hellouser as I have been thinking of trying it myself.
    I get mine from Ontario Chemicals. I'm particularly lucky because I live only 20km away from them but I still need it shipped. Fortunately, it never gets checked at customs cuz its a domestic shipment and shipping is literally a day or two. So far I've been on a new batch from OC for about a month and it looks like theres some regrowth in my hairline. I'm pretty stoked.

It aint cheap though, $280 for 10 grams. However there is a group buy from another place that can drive the price down to $180 for 10 grams, you'll have to check the long RU thread in this forum and speak to lilpauly, i think hes running the group buy.