+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Info. about Minoxidil

People! im just 24 with 30 or 35% of my hair gone with the wind. lolz
    I want to ask from users of minoxidil that
    1. what is your expereince about it? does it help?
    2. please tell me the real sides of minoxidil.
    3. what is the cheapest brand around? since i can not afford expensive treatments.

Yes, Minoxidil works if you use it properly and long enough. Like the only other proven treatment for hereditary hair loss, it works best on the vertex and mid-anterior areas for males.

Though Minoxidil does work, it does not address the cause of your hair loss. You need to talk to a doctor about that.

The side effects of Minoxidil are very mild and well tolerated. Most people who use this medication do not even experience the possible side effects.

Generic liquid Minoxidil is the least expensive. I have used Walmart's brand and it seems to work just as well as Rogaine.

Default minoxidil

Google Minoxidil and Skin damage. I've been using minox. for years and while it does seem to have stabilized my hair loss and grown back a little, the side effects are troubling. The sides that I've experienced are dry and itchy scalp sometimes, which seemed to fade over time and the other side is my face appears to have aged. I first noticed a deep wrinkle under my right eye not long after I began minox treatment. During this time I developed dark circles under my eyes that made it look like I hadn't slept in days. Some who read this are going to say that it's other causes aging, poor sleep patterns, stress etc. I was sleeping regularly and stress levels were about the same. I have always taken care of my skin also. The time frame was bang on from when I started using Minoxidil and the haggard looking skin. Anyway, I happened to stumble across Minoxidil causing skin damage while googling it for other reasons. So now the conundrum that I have is quitting Minoxidil and losing the hair that is dependent on it or aging my face. Just really wish that they would come up with something better than this stuff in what? 20 or so years?!!!
    Last edited by tj0; 08-19-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: adding other info

Hi Tracy,
    Been using minox 5% solution all over my scalp since a month after my transplant over 9 months ago. Switched to foam about 2 months ago. never had a problem until 2 or 3 days ago when my scalp got irritated, red, and burning. Kept putting minox on but yesterday only once and none today so far. It hurts too much. I put aloe vera gel all over my scalp to soothe it and it helps a little but I'm afraid to put minox on today. Don't know if it's been helping much anyway since I'm a nw6 and 61yrs old. but afraid to stop in case it is helping. You think it will affect my transplanted hair or any other hair I have up there which is not that much if I stop? Don't understand why I'm having a reaction after all this time. Ever here of this happening? thanks.

FINASTERIDE IS A DANGEROUS DRUG - STAY AWAY FROM IT.

PROPECIA SALES ARE FALLING AND LAWSUITS AGAINST MERCK ARE RISING AT A RATE OF 150%.

IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

http://www.examiner.com/article/prop...ness-drug-dive

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    If you're 24 and already a NW3 chances are you're going to need more than Minoxidil to stop your hairloss.

If I were you though, try Nizoral and Minox and see how things go. For some people this even regrows their hair.

Funnily enough the only medication that stop hairloss is finasteride. It's also the cheapest by a huge amount. Maybe look into it if you're willing to risk the unlikely sides also associated with it.
    im currently a norwood 1.5 and if i style my hair well my baldness is not even noticeable yet.. but im afraid of losing more hair which i am..... so i was asking about minox.. but its terrible if i will get a wrinkle using it... or my skin will look aged i just hope aderans or histogen come up with something real soon now...

Quote Originally Posted by tj0 View Post
    Google Minoxidil and Skin damage. I've been using minox. for years and while it does seem to have stabilized my hair loss and grown back a little, the side effects are troubling. The sides that I've experienced are dry and itchy scalp sometimes, which seemed to fade over time and the other side is my face appears to have aged. I first noticed a deep wrinkle under my right eye not long after I began minox treatment. During this time I developed dark circles under my eyes that made it look like I hadn't slept in days. Some who read this are going to say that it's other causes aging, poor sleep patterns, stress etc. I was sleeping regularly and stress levels were about the same. I have always taken care of my skin also. The time frame was bang on from when I started using Minoxidil and the haggard looking skin. Anyway, I happened to stumble across Minoxidil causing skin damage while googling it for other reasons. So now the conundrum that I have is quitting Minoxidil and losing the hair that is dependent on it or aging my face. Just really wish that they would come up with something better than this stuff in what? 20 or so years?!!!
    sides are always painful im sorry to hear about you expereince with it but i will like to know how old are you? and is it worth to give it a try at a young age?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Yes, Minoxidil works if you use it properly and long enough. Like the only other proven treatment for hereditary hair loss, it works best on the vertex and mid-anterior areas for males.

Though Minoxidil does work, it does not address the cause of your hair loss. You need to talk to a doctor about that.

The side effects of Minoxidil are very mild and well tolerated. Most people who use this medication do not even experience the possible side effects.

Generic liquid Minoxidil is the least expensive. I have used Walmart's brand and it seems to work just as well as Rogaine.
    now im afraid about the sides otherwise i had made up my mind to give it a try oh LORD help us all

Quote Originally Posted by 5000 View Post
    People! im just 24 with 30 or 35% of my hair gone with the wind. lolz
    I want to ask from users of minoxidil that
    1. what is your expereince about it? does it help?
    2. please tell me the real sides of minoxidil.
    3. what is the cheapest brand around? since i can not afford expensive treatments.
    1. Decent, I started it around 18, it definitely slowed my hairloss but did not stop it, I knew it slowed it as when i would go off it for say a week I would shed much more. Overall no growth though, just what I would call artificial slowing.

2.No serious sides however I do get heavy dandruff but that can be attributed to the brand i'm using, I get less dandruff on different brands but even with Nizoral/dandruff shampoos my dandruff is somewhat consistently around.

3. I believe generic at walmart is the cheapest. Overall it's not an expensive treatment in the first place.

Side note- I'd reccomend looking into propecia as well as of the two FDA approved drugs it's the only one that I can say actually inhibits or helps to inhibit what is causing your hairloss.(it doesnt necessarily regrow but if you have no sides it can almost permanently halt your loss.).

Quote Originally Posted by tj0 View Post
    Google Minoxidil and Skin damage.
    This is largely fear mongering. The real possibility of this happening to any one is so unlikely it is is only just barely worth mentioning.

Many women use Minoxidil. If Minoxidil actually did age skin in a statistically significant number of people, women would not go anywhere near the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    FINASTERIDE IS A DANGEROUS DRUG - STAY AWAY FROM IT.
    This is also largely fear mongering.

You need to talk to a doctor who specializes in treating hair loss. This is especially true if your only concern is your hair line. If you do not have thinning in your vertex and/or mid-anterior areas, neither Finasteride or Minoxidil are appropriate for you. The risks of possible side effects greatly outweighs your perceived benefit - and neither are likely to do anything for your hair line anyway.

One last thing. You always have the option to do nothing about your hereditary hair loss and simply allow nature to take it's course. There are only two medications that are proven to work and FDA approved for treating hereditary hair loss. As with all other medications, they both have possible side effects. Again, you always have the option of doing nothing to treat your hereditary hair loss. There is no shame is choosing that option.