Is Propecia Really safe? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Is Propecia Really safe?

I have a history of sexual side effects from propecia, including no more erections during the morning, and difficulty maintaining one even if I manage to get one in the first place. I stopped eventually, but realizing that it was my last hope for stopping hairloss as rogaine and lasercomb didn't work either, I started taking propecia again, but this time .5 mg every other day to start. Still, I am experiencing side effects as close to one and a half weeks following the start of my regimen.

So I have 3 main worries/questions.

1) if I am getting side effects, should I carry on taking drug, and what percentage of men are able to get over the side effects after continued use.

2) There is news on the web of a Swedish Medical Products agency concluding a safety investigation of Propecia, advising that sexual side effects may be persistent even after the stopping of Finasteride intake.
    Wikipedia has even noted it in its side effects column.

3) Even if Propecia is FDA approved, its Longer term effects are still unknown. Seeing as it was only introduced in 1997, it is still a relatively new and untested drug.

So in the end, is PROPECIA REALLY SAFE? I ask myself - what will i do now if in a few years I am both bald AND impotent? Are there other people out there who worry about the severity of these consequences?

Thanks for your time everyone.

Exclamation

It must be safe otherwise it wouldn't be FDA approved or we hope so anyway. There have been cases of drugs being approved to later discover that certain side effects have been over-looked - Vioxx was a case of medication being found later to be dangerous. Funny enough it was a Merck drug.
    As for propecia, I am using it but only the doctors and long term users here can comment on it's safety.

Default effectiveness of propcia over longterm use.

Doc, i myself have been using propecia since 1998 with no neg. side affects, i do have a two questions for you. 1. doe's propecia lose it's effectiveness over a long period of use, i've been reading from many postings that this is so. 2. how do you feel about using proscar, inplace of propecia. please reply. thanks

My husband tried propecia for a couple years, but it didn't work for him. Are there any other types of drugs like this that are better?

Thanks in advance,
    Tricia
    CrazyTikiLady

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Haber, MD View Post
    John

To my knowledge, there is only one long term study on finasteride, and it demonstrated continued effectiveness through about 9 years. I think any other information is anecdotal, therefore hard to trust. I myself have not noticed any decreased effectiveness in the 10 years I've been using finasteride, and I certainly hope it will continue to work forever. Remember that finasteride sometime just slows down hair loss as opposed to stopping it altogether, so that continued thinning may still continue, just over a much longer time frame. That's not the same as losing its effectiveness.

Regarding Proscar cut up into 4 pieces as an alternative to Propecia, I think that probably works as well, and I do have patients on that regimen.

Sincerely
    Doc. thanks for your reply. if you don't mind i have other questions. i'm thinking of adding rogain foam to my regimen, will i still go through a shedding faze even though i think (can't remember) i went through it with propecia many years ago, and would you recommend using nizoral 1% shampoo 2x per week. all i'm taking at this time is the propecia. also have you ever heard of Thomas lab. hair treatments out of Chicago Ill., if so your opinion.

Doc. thank you very much for your answering my questions so quickly, if you don't mind i know in the near future i will have more questions for you. thanks again for your time. john

Quote Originally Posted by john6776 View Post
    Doc. thank you very much for your answering my questions so quickly, if you don't mind i know in the near future i will have more questions for you. thanks again for your time. john
    Hello Doc, i been reading about a procedure called BRP, what is your opinion and comments about this. thanks john

Quote Originally Posted by Taka4312 View Post
    I have a history of sexual side effects from propecia, including no more erections during the morning, and difficulty maintaining one even if I manage to get one in the first place. I stopped eventually, but realizing that it was my last hope for stopping hairloss as rogaine and lasercomb didn't work either, I started taking propecia again, but this time .5 mg every other day to start. Still, I am experiencing side effects as close to one and a half weeks following the start of my regimen.

So I have 3 main worries/questions.

1) if I am getting side effects, should I carry on taking drug, and what percentage of men are able to get over the side effects after continued use.

2) There is news on the web of a Swedish Medical Products agency concluding a safety investigation of Propecia, advising that sexual side effects may be persistent even after the stopping of Finasteride intake.
    Wikipedia has even noted it in its side effects column.

3) Even if Propecia is FDA approved, its Longer term effects are still unknown. Seeing as it was only introduced in 1997, it is still a relatively new and untested drug.

So in the end, is PROPECIA REALLY SAFE? I ask myself - what will i do now if in a few years I am both bald AND impotent? Are there other people out there who worry about the severity of these consequences?

Thanks for your time everyone.
    I started using Propecia in 1997 to 2006, and experienced a different side effect than inability to get or maintain an erection. I had difficulty ejaculating while on the drug and have since been told that this may be one of the long-term side-effects. Once I stopped using Propecia, the problem went away. Fortunately, I haven't noticed appreciable hair loss since I stopped using it.

Quote Originally Posted by john6776 View Post
    Hello Doc, i been reading about a procedure called BRP, what is your opinion and comments about this. thanks john
    Hello Doc, my mistake i meant to type PRP. thanks john

Default Side effects

Hi.

I would like to make a simple question. They said that the side effects appear on the begginning of the treatment. But when more? In the first month? In the first two weeks?

Iīve been on finesteride for about 4 months. In the beggining I felt no side effects.When I say beggining I say in the first 2/3 months. But now I think I think I feel a reduction of my sexual desire. I donīt know if it happenned because of a failed sexual experience and the worries about it or if it happened because of the drug. The fact is that the more I think about it the less I felt desire. Anyway they said that the effects when they happen they go away after a few time. Is that true?

My last worry is how can I know that this drug is or is not affecting me? Can I do a simply blood test?

I hope you can help me.