+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quit Minoxidil

Hybrid View

Default Quit Minoxidil

I quit minoxidil about 4 1/2 months ago. As expected I have experienced a massive shed that started shortly after I quit. It is continuing for me and I wonder if it could be something else, as it has been so long. From those who have gone through this, or have heard, how long does this shed last? Thanks for the input.

It's hard to say. I know every time I quit Minox I have a massive shed which makes me get back on Minox. I don't know if the shed would've continued if I didn't get back on it, but I don't think it would've gone for too long.

I guess it depends on how long you have been using minox. If you have gained or maintained a lot of hair and your mph is not very agressive, i suppose its normal that your still losing the hair minox helped you maintain. Most experts state that Minox results will vanish within 3 months but thats probably average so it guess it can take longer. (But im not an expert, its just my opinion based on what i read the last couple of weeks)

i startet minoxidil twice a day 3 weeks ago and im starting to get headaches and dizziness. Unfortunately i am one of those extremely rare cases who react bad to it I will try to use it once a day but if the sides dont go away i will quit it. So i have the same fears you have from a shed.

I am in the middle of the initial shed so its a bad idea to quit. But if i would, i shoudnt get a "quit shed" right? I mean in this short time, no new hair has grown i suppose that could fall out. So the only hair that is going to fall out is the one that would have fallen out if i never used minox in the first place right?
    (i hope thats not gonna happen becaue i am on Fin since january)

Thanks for the responses.

VictimofDHT - How long did you typically quit minox for? And when you started back up, did you usually regain the hair you had shed? I shed a whole lot more than I ever imagined I would, as it had clearly maintained a lot of hair. I am concerned if I start back up that I won't grow back the hair I lost, as I have read on various forums that it is rather hit or miss.

Tizzle,

I am not sure how long it takes to become minoxidil dependant. From what I have read I wouldn't think you would be Minox dependant after just 3 weeks (see link below which relates to your case). If the sides continue, might want to look into a natural DHT blocker/growth stimulant topical. I got some Clairs Hair treatment on Ebay (may not work, but it has some good ingredients and at the price its worth a shot). I haven't used it yet, as im waiting for this awful shed to stop first. Ill let you know if it seems to help.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4944

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    It's hard to say. I know every time I quit Minox I have a massive shed which makes me get back on Minox. I don't know if the shed would've continued if I didn't get back on it, but I don't think it would've gone for too long.
    You can't keep your hair with such an interrupted treatment. What about your experience with DualGen, by the way? Recently I found your post, in which you called it "a garbage".

Pats, I've been using Minox for about 15 years and I think I only stopped it twice in those years. I can't remember exactly for how long but it wasn't for a long period of time -probably a couple of weeks to a month but not longer. One of those two times was exactly 4 years ago and there was a noticeable thinning in my hair. However, there was a third time when I stopped minox but it wasn't intentional. I had found a product on ebay that claimed to have 15% Minox and after about 2 months on it I started noticing a lot of shedding like never before. My hair was literally disappearing. I was losing upward of 170 hairs a day, which was more than 4 times my normal average. That's when it occurred to me that what I was using was nothing but a snake oil. I quickly got back on Rogaine and Kirkland minox and within 4 weeks the shedding came to a halt but unfortunately the damage had already been done. My hairline looked completely different and I had lost a lot of thickness all over. It's been over a year since I switched back to Kirkland and to answer your question, no, I haven't got any of the lost hair back. I think at least in my case whatever hair I lose after some time off minox is never regained.

Most of the times I use Minox twice a day but because of the irritation it causes me there have been times when I used it once, and yes, there have been days when I skipped but that doesn't happen often. I know if I skip a couple of days every month that won't cause any loss.

BTW, the snake oil I was talking about is called Dualgen 15%. I don't know if they're still selling this garbage on ebay but STAY AWAY FROM IT or risk losing whatever hair other trusted brands of minox were keeping.

My advice, if you felt minox was helping maintain your hair STAY on it. I have no doubt it's been my biggest help in slowing down my hair loss. It's messy and shitty but it works.

Pats, I've been using Minox for about 15 years and I think I only stopped it twice in those years. I can't remember exactly for how long but it wasn't for a long period of time -probably a couple of weeks to a month but not longer. One of those two times was exactly 4 years ago and there was a noticeable thinning in my hair. However, there was a third time when I stopped minox but it wasn't intentional. I had found a product on ebay that claimed to have 15% Minox and after about 2 months on it I started noticing a lot of shedding like never before. My hair was literally disappearing. I was losing upward of 170 hairs a day, which was more than 4 times my normal average. That's when it occurred to me that what I was using was nothing but a snake oil. I quickly got back on Rogaine and Kirkland minox and within 4 weeks the shedding came to a halt but unfortunately the damage had already been done. My hairline looked completely different and I had lost a lot of thickness all over. It's been over a year since I switched back to Kirkland and to answer your question, no, I haven't got any of the lost hair back. I think at least in my case whatever hair I lose after some time off minox is never regained.

Most of the times I use Minox twice a day but because of the irritation it causes me there have been times when I used it once, and yes, there have been days when I skipped but that doesn't happen often. I know if I skip a couple of days every month that won't cause any loss.

BTW, the snake oil I was talking about is called Dualgen 15%. I don't know if they're still selling this garbage on ebay but STAY AWAY FROM IT or risk losing whatever hair other trusted brands of minox were keeping.

My advice, if you felt minox was helping maintain your hair STAY on it. I have no doubt it's been my biggest help in slowing down my hair loss. It's messy and shitty but it works.
    Hello,
    I thought that you were a bit hysterical, but if you say that the lost hair never grew back... It really scares me. I use EssenGen% from the same company (************) to achieve a 6% minoxidil concentration out of ordinary 5%Kirkland.

However, it is confusing that other people say that ************ products work well. I really don't know, whom I am to believe. :P

i have a general question. i started minoxidil almost a month ago. I am shedding because of minox (initial minox shed) and i think my hair got thinner

minox makes me dizzy and i get headaches sometimes. i know this is the badest timing to quit but i have to.

do you guys think my lost hair is growing back? it should right? i mean its not like i regrew hair which is going to fall out when i stop minox.

15% minoxidil is a strong stuff and unpleasant shedding is quite common, but your experience really doesn't make much sense to me. There are simply too many guys, who experienced good results on it. You can find similar horrible experiences concerning *******15%, but in these cases, the hair usually grew back. I see that you never used 15% minoxidil before, and your other posts also indicate that you went through a series of hair transplants. This very fact prevents us from any equivalent comparison. It is also possible that you didn't reveal everything.

I started using Minox about 9 years ago. It worked for many years but 18 months ago I noticed I'd lost a heap of hair suddenly. I've still been using it constantly since that time and I can now say for certain it doesn't work for me anymore.

Not sure if I grew a tolerance to it or if I just wasn't using it as consistently as I should have. If it's the latter then I'm very annoyed at myself for being lazy. Worst thing ever.