+ Reply to Thread

Default Is choosing a Hair Transplant surgeon like choosing a business partner?

So, as I have a lot of time to think while I am recovering I thought about how picking a surgeon is very much like taking on a business partner/ signing a big deal. By all means I may be a little crazy but hear me out.

I believe that maybe by taking a business mind to this problem instead of an emotional one may help with the decision making process.

It is a big decision to get a HT as it has the potential to be a game changer for both good and bad.

In a business partner/ signing of a big deal there should be a few requirements that make it turn out positively;

Each party has to have "skin in the game" - ok, I realise that most people need to sign a disclaimer but there must be another way around it. It is absolute bull crap that if a surgeon does a crap job he can get away with it. The simple fact that you can not talk is the kicker, that means he will continue to do crappy work on other people. Maybe a way to deal with it is saying I will give you 70% now, 30% later. At least with this situation they require to do a good job to get paid.

Surgeon / Patient relationship must be strong. There must be a certain level of trust and support given afterwards. Much like a good business partner/deal each party has its responsibilities to continue the relationship. I want a phone call, or at least an email to say how your going.

The exchange of money - well this is a no brainer
    Must be able to show their results in person not just in a photo - with Photoshop these days and make up for hair it is hard to really tell if the pictures are real or not, if you can not stick by your work I a sorry I will be going somewhere else.

Love for what they do - this is a difference between a great surgeon and one who is just good. What made them get into the hair transplant industry and what keeps them there? I want someone who loves what they do because they know it can make a difference in peoples lives.

Experience - How may HT have you done? There is a famous saying about it taking 10,000 hours to become an expert. How many hours has your surgeon done?

You pay for what you get - at least I like to think of it that way, but if you go to a dodgy doctor just because of price please just be careful.

Did I follow all these rules. Not really, I guess because I just came up with them now. But, my results will tell me if I made the right decision. For those who have not made any decision yet I hope this helps.

What are your thoughts? Should I just go back to sleep?
    KD

Inactive

ok, I realise that most people need to sign a disclaimer but there must be another way around it.
    Some things I've learned through the experience of operating my own business are:

1) Virtually every business contract as originally written is egregiously one-sided in favor of the party that drew up the contract.

2) You do not ever have to accept a contract exactly as it is proffered to you.

I never sign any business contract, no matter how straightforward it might seem, without first having my lawyer review it and point out aspects that he feels are not reasonable or fair. I then contact the originator with a list of changes that I require be made to the contract before I will sign it.

I know that many people paying for HTs are already stretching their finances to their limit, but if you're going to be shelling out thousands of dollars for a procedure that will affect your appearance for the rest of your life, it's really worth it to spend another $100-$200 to have a lawyer review that disclaimer first, and then to let your doctor know what aspects of it you find unreasonable or unacceptable. If the doctor is unyielding, then you might want to take that as a sign that he's not the doctor for you, or that a HT is not the procedure for you.