+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default FUE or FUT dilemma

I'm torn between getting FUE or FUT.

I feel in a way the decision might be made for me in financial terms, because FUT is almost double the cost of FUE when you do the maths. A good FUE operation might be beyond my reach, sadly.

My big concern is the scarring. Can anybody who has had FUT offer their thoughts on this? I like to wear my hair short - guard 1, at the back and sides. I've been told that if I get FUT that would no longer be an option; guard 2 or 3 is a recommended minimum to avoid it being noticeable. This seems to defeat the point of getting a hair transplant at all, because I'd do so with the intention of having more hair styling options, not to restrict myself for the rest of my life.

I'd love some comments on this, so please chime in if you can offer anything to help my decision process. Especially interested in the views of people who've had FUT.

You answered your own questions. FUT is not for you! Do not choose a procedure based on cost, this is a lifelong decision. If you can not deal with a scar, or the possibility of not being able to wear your hair short, do not commit to having surgery.

From what I can see dude , it comes down to a personal choice if you want to wear your hair short then fue is the best option forget the cost its a lifelong decision that your making .

I feel the decision is made for me, financially speaking :/

I do agree though

You have to also consider your future hairloss into the equation. If you have the potential of needing large amounts of grafts in the future you definitely want to be "stripped" now as opposed to after having a FUE procedure done, from what I've read. For me it's a no brainer to do a strip or 2 first to put me in the best position for maximum lifetime donor supply, but I also don't care about having to leave my hair a little longer, just something you should keep in mind before doing FUE even if you only need 1000-2000 grafts RIGHT NOW.

My suggestion, don't get a HT
    You're going to be chasing it for the rest of your life but if your set on it go FUE.......at least you want have the big scar to deal with later on in life

I read this on another site

we can spend thousands and thousands of dollars on HT, pills, lotions, and every other product out there. In the end though none of the things out now are a permanent solution for hair loss and most of them have side effects. In the end we can't really beat genetics so why spend the money trying. We need to accept who we are and move on with our life,

I only wish I could accept my hair loss

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    You're going to be chasing it for the rest of your life but if your set on it go FUE.......at least you want have the big scar to deal with later on in life

I read this on another site

we can spend thousands and thousands of dollars on HT, pills, lotions, and every other product out there. In the end though none of the things out now are a permanent solution for hair loss and most of them have side effects. In the end we can't really beat genetics so why spend the money trying. We need to accept who we are and move on with our life,

I only wish I could accept my hair loss
    I disagree with you. Hair Transplant surgery has it's limitations, but as long as you go to a top surgeon you will almost certainly come out looking better than you would have.

Senior Member Still-Researching's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    I disagree with you. Hair Transplant surgery has it's limitations, but as long as you go to a top surgeon you will almost certainly come out looking better than you would have.
    I will agree to above.

Chrisis, reading your posts - I would save up for a FUE or not have a HT and shave down later when your hair loss gets worse (provided you will not take FIN and you might keep what you have for 10-15 years if you are lucky) - you look good today - saw your pictures in an earlier post.

Do not go for FUT - you will not be able to shave down to a 1-2 grade clipper. With FUE from a top surgeon - Feriduni, Rahal or Feller you can and I am positively that you will look better after - I put my money where my mouth is - but jury is still out until 10 months from now :-)

Go for a none aggressive hair line and then if you have more hair greed - lower the hairline a bit later. This is also the way Feller does it, he usually only take like 1200 tops per session. Feriduni and Rahal can do it in one go, with good results, but its +11.000 EUR surgery if you need 2500 grafts, so it is a significant financial commitment especially at your age.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    You have to also consider your future hairloss into the equation. If you have the potential of needing large amounts of grafts in the future you definitely want to be "stripped" now as opposed to after having a FUE procedure done, from what I've read. For me it's a no brainer to do a strip or 2 first to put me in the best position for maximum lifetime donor supply, but I also don't care about having to leave my hair a little longer, just something you should keep in mind before doing FUE even if you only need 1000-2000 grafts RIGHT NOW.
    I think my hair loss is quite slow. I'm 28 and only have a receded hairline. I think I could probably do FUE and it wouldn't be too risky, but it's a fair point.
    Every hair loss "solution" seems to come with compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    I disagree. There are so many men whose lives have been transformed because they've had an HT.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-Researching View Post
    Chrisis, reading your posts - I would save up for a FUE or not have a HT and shave down later when your hair loss gets worse (provided you will not take FIN and you might keep what you have for 10-15 years if you are lucky) - you look good today - saw your pictures in an earlier post.

Do not go for FUT - you will not be able to shave down to a 1-2 grade clipper. With FUE from a top surgeon - Feriduni, Rahal or Feller you can and I am positively that you will look better after - I put my money where my mouth is - but jury is still out until 10 months from now :-)

Go for a none aggressive hair line and then if you have more hair greed - lower the hairline a bit later. This is also the way Feller does it, he usually only take like 1200 tops per session. Feriduni and Rahal can do it in one go, with good results, but its +11.000 EUR surgery if you need 2500 grafts, so it is a significant financial commitment especially at your age.
    Thanks Still_researching.

Ideally I'd save the money and get it done later, but I feel at 28 I need to do something now. I'd have to save hard for a good few years, by which time I feel I'd be putting my life on hold If I absolutely have to I'd do a graft and deal with it, but I'd so much prefer FUE.

Really wish I had a spare 13k kicking around.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I disagree. There are so many men whose lives have been transformed because they've had an HT.
    Yup. And there are those who regret it or look like glorified comb overs
    Your call
    It;s your head
    At 28 Im guessing you will have future hair loss right to the crown
    Be prepared to either live with it or continue for more hT's
    Rememmer it's not a full dense head of hair
    It's an illusion
    Good luck on whatever ever you choose, though .