+ Reply to Thread

Post Los Angeles Times Hair Transplant Article

I just read this article on hair transplants in the LA Times called "in a hairy job market, can transplants aid the balding?"

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f....column?page=1

These articles all sound the same to me when I read them. A reporter with a
    full head of hair seems stumped as to why men would need to have to resort to surgery to improve their chances of being more successful in their jobs and in their personal lives, of course he has hair so it's hard to imagine how devastating losing your hair can be afterall look how successful Bruce Willis is.. again with the bruce willis, the one guy of three actors who looks great bald. That guy isn't me I don't look like bruce willis, I need hair.

While I'm certain that The New Hair Institute was pleased to be mentioned in the Los Angeles times, I find this quote from the writer a little bit upsetting:

"Insecurity is clearly a big factor when it comes to balding -- and you could argue that places like the New Hair Institute prey on that insecurity by advancing the notion that people's lives will be improved with costly cosmetic surgery."

Many times lives our improved by cosmetic surgery. Our small or large imperfections and insecurities keep us from going for that promotion or asking a woman out, and yes a few thousand grafts can turn it all around for some people. Is this such a hard concept to follow

The author also writes when talking about a man at the hair transplant open house"To my eyes, he looked just fine. Maybe a little thin up top, but nothing extreme. He still had hair." Again, to the guy's eyes he doesn't look like himself, that's not him in the mirror, not who he was, the person he knows. To a complete stranger with a full head of hair it may be business as usual, things change when you walk in those shoes.

I'm glad that hair transplant surgery makes the news, but I wish that perhaps these pieces were approached by individuals who were more deeply connected, understood what was being written about on a more intimate level, otherwise the articles can come off as make hair transplant surgery sounds so superficial and unnecessary and that just isn't the case.

Although this reporter is far from an expert in HT surgery, I was confused by the following comment he made.... "Sometimes it grows in nice and evenly. Other times, you have to grow it long where it takes root and settle for a comb over."

Is he saying that some patients don't have enough hair so they have to settle for a combover to achieve max coverage? Or is he saying that there's a chance your hair will grow out a certain way thus giving you limited options when it comes to styling your hair?

I was always under the impression that a IAHRS physician will give you a hair transplant that will allow you to wear your hair anyway you want, it's totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with(back, forward, messy, spiked, etc..) The only exception would be wearing it super-short in back with a strip surgery patient. Correct?

I just read the article and it’s lame. The doctor they quoted sounded like a real salesman and the reporter sounded very condescending. I'm not sure what he meant by the combover comment either.

I just read the article too and both the writer and the doctor where a big turn off to me. The idea of an open house with semi celebrity hair transplant patients being present sounds sleazy. It sounds like he was reporting on Tupperware party. That’s creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    "Sometimes it grows in nice and evenly. Other times, you have to grow it long where it takes root and settle for a comb over."

Is he saying that some patients don't have enough hair so they have to settle for a combover to achieve max coverage? Or is he saying that there's a chance your hair will grow out a certain way thus giving you limited options when it comes to styling your hair?
    I'm not sure what the author was saying when he wrote that but I have gotten the impression that he didn't really grasp everything about hair transplants, from the technical side to the emotional side his comprehension of the everything seemed to be low and superficial. I do credit his interest for writing this in the first place though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkel View Post
    I just read the article and it’s lame. The doctor they quoted sounded like a real salesman and the reporter sounded very condescending. I'm not sure what he meant by the combover comment either.
    I would have to agree with the salesman part. But it may have been the way the reporter wrote it. They pick and choose quotes, so I guess be on guard with everything you say if you are ever interviewed

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    I just read the article too and both the writer and the doctor where a big turn off to me. The idea of an open house with semi celebrity hair transplant patients being present sounds sleazy. It sounds like he was reporting on Tupperware party. That’s creepy.
    But what did you really think? LOL. I'm kidding. I know what you are talking about. The idea of a hair transplant open house sounds kinda wacky.