+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to start?

Default Where to start?

I'm still teenager and am experienceing hairloss. Over the last two years i've noticed significant thining on the top and crown of my head and it's gotten to the point where other people are noticing it now too. My problem is I don't know where to start? Are there doctors that specialize in hairloss I should see or is a family doctor okay? What about a dermatologist? If there are special hair loss doctors can someone refer me to any in the northern/central virginia, washington DC, southern maryland, or baltimor metropolitan areas?

AlsoI understand that what propecia does is stop the production of DHT. Does it only stop hair loss or does it also have hair regrowth?

by the way, if it helps with answering I'm about a 3 on the norwood scale.

THANK YOU!
    any help is really appreciated

i'm sorry that you're dealing with hair loss at such a young age. that really sucks!

i think you need to see a dermatologist who specializes is hair loss. i'm sure there is someone in your area.

propecia is probably your best bet for a treatment. it not only stops the hair loss but you've got a good shot and getting some regrowth on it as well, especially since you've only been losing hair for a couple of years.

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

You should see a derm---there may be other reasons your losing your hair.

I would not jump into Propecia just yet---your still a teenager and I am not so sure messing with your hormones is a good idea.

My advice is to see a derm, try to work on some different hairstyles, try adding some Dermatch, Toppik, Nanogen to help conceal your thinning and continue to educate yourself.

Good Luck!!!
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

I'm going to give you the answer no one wants to hear. Gain humility and embrace it. While I know your not going to do that, because your a young guy and not MANY people start balding at such a young age...

I experienced hairloss since 18. Rapidly in my early 20's and made a lot of mistakes. Whats important to you now will most likley not be important to you a few years from now, keep that in mind when weighing the pros and cons of hair restoration and hair loss drugs. Things you do to yourself now could end up being way worse then going bald later in life.

If you ever have any questions I'd be more than happy to talk to you privatley and tell you my experiences with hairloss.

Dr. Lindsey is an IAHRS-certified physician in northern Virginia but, as other posters have noted, your best bet is probably to start by consulting a dermatologist (ideally) or family physician to confirm whether it is MPB you are experiencing.

Propecia is primarily for preventing further hair loss but it does regrow hair in some individuals. However, it is not indicated for use in anyone under 18 and, even if you are 18, it's important that a doctor reviews all possible side effects with you before prescribing it. I have read, however, that the drug works better in younger men and that they report fewer sexual side effects.