Can someboy explain what a receding hairline looks like? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can someboy explain what a receding hairline looks like?

... I really don't know what I'm looking for.

I've been on this forum for a while due to me being paranoid about my hair; specifically the crown. I've been told my hair is fine.

However, the past couple of days I've been kinda curious about my hairline. You see, it's not straight. I don't think there's a problem with my hairline, I think I'm a Norwood One... but I don't know what I'm looking for to check for recession. Where does it start? I know what I receded hairline looks like, I just don't know what a RECEDING hairline looks like.

I've got some pics of my hairline;

Straight on, my hairline looks straight. Pulled back it doesn't.

What am I looking for, and what is my hairline?

THANKS, AND SORRY FOR ASKING

I've had this same problem, and I think your situation could be similar to mine. The people on here that tell you "your hairline looks fine, don't worry" are probably people who consider a hairline thats ALREADY receded to be "not fine" If you were to ask my opinion, I would probably tell you your hairline looks like it's receding, but at the same time there are people whose hairline NATURALLY looks like it's receding when it truly isn't, and you could be one of those people. I guess the best way to tell in my opinion would be to comb your bangs straight down at every spot on the hairline, and if the hairs at the temple part of your scalp seem thinner than those at the front, your hairline is probably receding.

How old are you ?

As we grow older some folks hairline recedes a bit but your hair looks fine people here would kill for a hairline like that .

Now get off this board , go outside and enjoy life

Hey, thanks for the replies. I'm 21.

So, as far as you can tell, there's no recession on my hairline?

... and, one thing that I get a bit lost on. Apparently receding hair starts at the temples. Right? Well. Where the heck am I looking? When I think of my temples, I think of the softer part of my head just further behind my eyes... so I assumed the hair around there was where recession starts, but from what I've seen, men who have lost their hair tend to still have the hair around there? I dunno. :/

I don't think you're receding at all. Your hairline is low and it will sort of follow the curvature of your forehead.

What we refer to as the temples, and where recession typically begins, would be the area where the cuff of your shirt stops in those photos where you're holding your hair back. The 'sides of the top', basically. The area you are thinking of "behind the eyes"can also recede. We tend to refer to this area as the 'temple points'.

Recession doesn't follow the same pattern in all cases. For example the temples can recede and then the entire hairline can thin and begin to follow the temples back, or sometimes the temples recede and carry on receding quite far back with the central portion of the hairline remaining solid.

I don't think you have anything to worry about at this time. Forget about the things you think you see wrong with your hairline now. It's apparent that you've only just begun taking notice of your hairline, and I remember what it was like to not really know your own hairline that well despite seeing it every day. If you suddenly start examining yourself up close you'll start finding faults which aren't really faults. The important thing to look out for would be any changes.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Sweet, that's great news ; thanks for the reply. I think I just got a bit confused because I presumed that non-receding hairlines were perfectly straight and sloped down at the temple towards the temple points (if that makes sense?), and mine doesn't. So I'm guessing that that's not the case then?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnykino View Post
    ...I presumed that non-receding hairlines were perfectly straight and sloped down at the temple towards the temple points (if that makes sense?), and mine doesn't.
    This is a description of a feminine hair line and adolescent male hair line. The mature male hair line looks like your hair line. Start paying attention to other people for the next few days and you will see.

Okay, so when do mature hairlines kick in? I was looking at some pics from a few years ago... different hairstyles... sort of, and as far as I can tell my hairline hasn't changed? I dunno though.

I get that there's nothing to worry about with my hairline, I'm just wondering whether it's possible for my hairline to have always been this shape? Even on the 2006 pic, although I've got a bit of a fringe on the go, the hairline looks similar to that of 2008, which in turn looks the same as my hairline now. Am I right in thinking this?

I think I class my time spent on this forum as research, nowadays. lol.

Okay, so when do mature hairlines kick in?
    I think it happens at different ages for different men. I've noticed my nephews developing the male hair line in their late teens. I don't remember when it happened to my brothers. I didn't know about any of this stuff back then. But they all have mature male hair lines.

and as far as I can tell my hairline hasn't changed?
    I can see the difference. I am surprised that you can't. Actually, it's pretty obvious - but then I know what I am looking for. It is most apparent in the 2008 pics compared to the 2006 pics...

The first 2006 pic to me, I thought that it was the same, only slightly covered up by my hair, whereas with the 2008 pic my hair is sticking up showing off the hairline? So in 2006 I still had my juvenile hairline, 2008 I've got a mature hairline? Is the hairline from 2008 the same as my hairline today?

I'm still learning on what to look for :/